England vs WI

Classic dismissal. 4 balls after coming back on the pitch, he tries to crash one on the up and gets caught in the covers. How many times have we seen him do that?

Colly looking good though.

Mmm, it doesn't look like being a particuarly entertaining series, and I'm not sure much can be gleaned from its outcome.

553-5

Contrary to popular opinion (in Australia), people outside Australia actually do have some interest in games that do not involve Australia. Bizarre, I know.

Don't much like the look of the West Indies bowling so far.

Sadly its raining on the last day when England were set to try and bowl out the Windies with only 3 front line bowlers.

I cant believe how many wides Plunkett and Harmison have bowled this game. makes you feel for the Durham keeper.

Contrary to popular opinion (in Australia), people outside Australia actually do have some interest in games that do not involve Australia. Bizarre, I know.

Don't much like the look of the West Indies bowling so far.

Well my comment was a joke comment. But is does look like that this first test is going to end in a draw. I think the pitch was too much orientated for batsmen.

I'd also venture to say that both bowling attacks were rubbish.

Probably would've got a result without the rain though...

Anybody with opinions on Vaughan/Flintoff re: team selection. I think to drop either Collingwood or Bell would be a joke tbh, but there still seem to be some untouchables in the side...(Andrew Strauss, I'm looking at you...)

Also, I nominate Owais Shah's performance as the worst batting performance in a test match I've ever seen. He looked like a bloody village cricketer...

Yeah - that was a result wicket. England should have been bowled out below 300. It was moving and seaming all over the place.

Englands attack bowled dreadfully, Monty excepted. Hoggard, our most consistent pace bowler got injured straight away and Harmison and Plunkett sprayed it around. Thank god that Monty showed he can take wickets on a seamer's paradise.

Vaughan isnt worth a plce any more until he proves he can score heavily in county cricket. I feel a bit sorry for Shah who looked overawed and out of his depth. Obviously he will make way for Freddie.

Nice to see Prior grab his chance with both hands. Looked like a real batsman - and showed he could go in and hit when the situation demanded it in the second innings.

Batting looks in good shape.

Bowling need a lot of work.

Classic dismissal. 4 balls after coming back on the pitch, he tries to crash one on the up and gets caught in the covers. How many times have we seen him do that?

Colly looking good though.

Well, Col, not the first time to say such things about Kevin Pietersen! Of course there is no denying that he goes out on bad balls. However, that does not take the away the simple fact he is one of the very best batsmen in the world. Why complain? Because he could even be better, if he learned how to control himself a bit more? My guess is that the same flamboyancy that makes him go out on bad balls, caused his Ashes winning innings at the Oval nearly 2 years ago.

About England's line up (just my opinion):

I say pick Monty and your best 3 seamers (unless you have 4 really good in-form seamers, like during Ashes 2005), pick Prior as wk and your six best batsmen

Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Cook
Collingwood

Prior

Fintoff
Harmison
Panesar
Anderson/Mahmood/Plunkett

If Hoggard appears to be fit, Anderson/Mahmood and Plunkett (or this dude called Sidebottom, for that matter) are out. Only if Hoggard AND Simon Jones are both fit, AND if Harmison proves some form, a batsman should be dropped. Monty proves he should never ever be dropped, since he can take wicket on a seamer's pitch.

Four bowlers (1 spinner and 3 seamers) should really be enough, if you have Collingwood in as a back-up seamer and Pietersen and Vaughan as back-up spinners. Even Bell can bowl a bit, if needed. Having a a bowler injured during a test (like Hoggard last test), should not really be a risk to think about.

Now that I have used his name: Where is Simon Jones? Still injured, I guess?

Yeah - KP himself said that he has to learn a little patience - and his second innings proved he can. Of course he is a class act - but he has the chance to become one of the greats.

Right now, I'd pick Ramprakach who is scoring lots of runs ahead of Vaughan....

Sidebottom is in the squad. He's a left arm swing bowler so offers something different.

Jones is still injured. Anderson is probably the best of the rest. A lot of hopes are pinned on Broad who is very young but promising - but he's injured too now. Jon Lewis is very consistent - but he's injured too.

Englands bowling cupboard is bare.

Monty has made himself a permanent fixture now - especially since Ashley Giles has had another op and is out for the season. I expect him to announce his retirement soon.

Do the fiancee know youre a cricket fan, Bas?

She even understands the rules! I explained it during the Worldcup. Before I knew, she was text-messaging scores!

Now I know its true love.

And a chanceless century from KP.

Top score from KP His first double 226 . Out chasing the declaration.

570 for 7 declared.

Windies blown away. 146 then 22 for 2 following on. Sidebottom gets 6 wickets. Good choice selectors!

The 3rd test appears to be better, thanks to a better performance by the Windies. England out for 370, which is in the end a big total. All tail-enders got double figures.

Harmison's first over was extraordinary. Eleven runs from it, none from the bat. And a wicket!
-wide
-5wides
-dot ball
-dot ball
-4 byes (on the leg side)
-wide
-OUT, lbw
-dot ball (quite wide though)
-dot ball, just missed the stumps

Yup - once again Harmison and Plunkett sprayed it everywhere.
Monty and Sidebottom perform wonders to bowl out the Windies for under 250. 42+ of which were extras.

Poor Strauss gets a good one in the first over and is gone but England are crushingly on top once more. Its 2+ years since the Windies won test.

Top Bottom