English colony names

I think there is a logical problem here. You're assuming all civs can be colonial powers. True, it can happen in the game. But in real life it didn't happen. This is why we have a city named after Orleans near Aztecs lands. So you can either assume Aztecs would have called it New Tenochtitlan, or New whatever, or just use a standard city list for all civs that were not colonial powers in real life.
I think the idea is more for colonial civs colonizing outside their historical colonization zones. Such as, currently in my game as the Netherlands I colonized a tile in western Venezuela and the city was called Maastricht. Now that just doesn't sound right to me, and I'm sure to many other people as well. Same with Germany colonizing the tile where Arguin is, and the city being called Essen. The suggestions here of using generic colony names for the cities outside historical areas or having a standard for each tile would solve this problem altogether.

nope it would only create more problems, for example in defining what is "standard". Using a normal city list can be standard in someone's view but not in yours. IMO the best solution is have a city list, and if a city is founded outside spawn areas or historical areas, just call them "New cityname".

Then I propose a situation similar to how colonies were done in EU2. While there were some cities that only were named such in specific provinces for specific countries (such as New Orleans for France in Bayou and New Amsterdam for the Netherlands in Manhattan), others, be they ahistorical colonizers or colonizers going out of their historical territory would have city names that could be for any province in the continent or just any province (such as Malabo for Portugal in West Africa or San Felipe for Spain in any province). I think this would really help add to the flavor of the game and it would be much better than the current system.

that's cool if everyone contributes, or we may just take EU2 list, I think it shouldnt be hard.

New York = Nova Eburacum
Ankor = Angkoria
Chicago = Cicagum
Caracas = Caracum

Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky - Petropavlovskum-Kamchatskia. How's that for a change? ;)

I'd prefer New XXXX instead of invented names.

"<-_Danny_->"@ Your sig is way too long, you should make it shorter.

My point was that the US would use the english "New" as well as England, but New New York is a great city name.

Well, you can always use a king or governor's name for a new colony. Look up "Georgetown" anywhere; I was surprised at how often that name was used ;)

Well, you can always use a king or governor's name for a new colony. Look up "Georgetown" anywhere; I was surprised at how often that name was used ;)

Don't get me started on how many Alexandrias there are in Alexander's former empire. ;)

Maybe not, this thread was on the first page though. :p Didn't realize how old the other posts were until now. Should my point be ignored then? :D This thread had been dead for half a year anyway.

dunno, using a default or modern name in lack of a localized version sounds pretty good to me, and if you want you could still rename it new/novo/nouvelle/nueva "capitallname" or whatever.
if there were the modern name at leat i wouldnt have to look up where a big city in the approximate vicinity of the said location is to determine its name.

An easy solution is to put suffixes behind city names, that point to the civ's language. For example, in (East) India many cities have suffixes as -nagar, -abad or -pur which mean simply -town as in Jamestown or Louisville respectivly. So Hyderabad means Hyder's town. Same with Persian: -abad and -pur are originally Persian words, so there is Nishapur. In Arabic you could put an article before the name, as in al-Qahira. In German you could use -burg, -hausen, -heim and so on.

So if the Indians controlled Houston it could be Houstonabad or Houstonabad. There could be a Bataviaheim or an al-Chikagu. Not necessarily historical but closer to the flavor...

An easy solution is to put suffixes behind city names, that point to the civ's language. For example, in (East) India many cities have suffixes as -nagar, -abad or -pur which mean simply -town as in Jamestown or Louisville respectivly. So Hyderabad means Hyder's town. Same with Persian: -abad and -pur are originally Persian words, so there is Nishapur. In Arabic you could put an article before the name, as in al-Qahira. In German you could use -burg, -hausen, -heim and so on.

So if the Indians controlled Houston it could be Houstonabad or Houstonabad. There could be a Bataviaheim or an al-Chikagu. Not necessarily historical but closer to the flavor...

This is actually a good idea, although Jamesabad and Nishatown to name a few sound humorous. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom