1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

English default Language strings are being converted by German text for a number of HUD/UI systems

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by Zyxpsilon, May 27, 2020.

1. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

@dshirk
    Sorry.. but if you would expect a requested mdmp crash/file from me here -- this reply is about another issue.
    I feel it's the only rational way to get formal help (reliable or recent enough, that is) from any Firaxis Staff/Dev for a different (as much important, IMO) problem.

Simple -- the English default Language strings are being converted by German text for a number of HUD/UI systems (Some Menu options, Front-End details, Ingame Save/Load popups, etc).. nearly 50-75% of the usual Localisation resources seem to be affected by this flaw that started last Thursday upon receiving the NFP patch update.

(Tried to Verify Files = No luck .. Switched Language to French = worked as expected & so on)

It has been mentionned in a dozen+ Steam Discussions already.. so, i'm not the only player getting those weird swaps.

Direct Mods interference? Load-Order flaws (hinted by @Infixo)? Older DLC "changes" introduced by newest code variations/functions?
    Any suggestions for a proper repair trick?

Please! Anyone?

2. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

The usual steps we would take to debug would be:

1. Disable ALL mods (except official Firaxis) and see if it's still happening to you.
    2. If it is, grab a screenshot of the example, and zip up the logs, and attach them here.

Thanks!

3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Thank you for the quick response.

1. Still happens.. refer to the three snapshots of typical conditions into the attached ZIP.
    2. (ENtoDE-Flaws_logs) Debug folder zipped.

FrontEnd-StartMenu_A.png

Crossing fingers.. that it will be enough to diagnose the exact flaws & work on a fix, asap!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

4. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

PS.. As you could see on Snapshot-B.. there are two extra Rise&Fall entries that can't be "Activated" which IIRC, were always like that by default. The only remaining trace of proper English support is the [BACK] button, btw. :crazyeye:

5. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

Looking at your logs, it looks like the whole localization system is tanking on a duplicate entry found in a file trying to load that is not ours:
    [1470634.488] [Localization]: In XMLSerializer while updating table BaseGameText from file (--MY--)_Combat_Text.xml.

Looking at the modding log, you still have a number of mods loaded as well.

To start exploring which mod is the offender, start by going into Additional Content, and clicking the "Disable All" button, then reenable only the 2 expansions. Exit and restart the game and see if the problem persists. If it does, double check that Additional Content still only shows the 2 expansions enabled, and reattach the logs here.

Thanks!

6. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

1) Combat_Text.xml file was an oldish attempt at enhancing the "Damage" values with a FontIcon symbol (Red-Arrow). I was just keeping some backupfiles there as references -- removed them as recommended.

2) Still Loaded Mods have to be various DLC & Scenarios coming from the past.. IIRC, these could be kept there even though we didn't pre-select the corresponding necessary rulesets upon activation of whichever. If they must be cleared-off the mod list for our fail-safe testing phase.. Let's go then.

"Disable All" in German might be tricky to identify for me! I'll verify that as well & only activate R&F + GS if necessary as suggested to grab further Logs:)

Be back soon... .. ..

WTF --- just reloaded the game and my English Language Text+Strings are all there as they should. All i did was removing the extra XML file from #1) above.

I am guilty as charged.. yet, that single file never interfered before. The initialization process must be more delicate in the recent code.

I'll try to re-activate a few Mods progressively to check out the rest & report if other problems still occur.. but it really looks like this weird situation has been solved.

Thanks a zillion, buddy!

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  7. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

No problem! Glad we figured it out.

8. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Final EDIT!
    Okay.. ultimately managed to re-activate & verify most (26 out of about 55) of my essential Mods & everything still works just fine. I can now confidently go purchase the NFP bundle while this gameplay gets enhanced even further with cool new toys in the next year or so.

I'll also try to inform other users (specially in Steam Discussions) about this formal repair trick just in case.. someone also has a similar log proof of obstructive files in key folders like mine.

:coffee:

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

It was reported here for reference, a few posts before your own report in that thread:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/patch-broke-civ-vi.658233/page-2#post-15774085

Pretty sure it causes a lot of the "games not loading but no mods activated and even tried to reinstall" (but did not manually delete files left in the game's folder) reports.

Morality: always check the logs first, saves a lot of trouble.

10. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Yup.. that's one of those things "common man" players are bound to skip away as most don't even know such flaws exist.
    Even i had to dig through heaps of risky mysterious files often enough -- more so with that latest gimmick.. but, luckily the core stacking was somewhat burried in various Workshop Mod folders (i have a knack for adapting such custom assets to personal tricks as you may remember about my attempts at fine-tuning some of your map parameters, etc) & not in the basic Game structure except for that single crazy XML relic of the past which -indeed- was sensible to runtime SQL dynamics and/or any other scripted process.

Yet.. i'm fairly sure, the code (At least NFP related) has been enhanced to tackle such (many) indirect conflicts to solidify key components stability. From a developper perspective it's always better to try preventing strange troubles that we (as casual players or Modders) aren't aware of most of the time.