English Football thread No.3

And Charlton May just may jump out of the relegation zone on sunday here's hoping:religion:

From MotD, both Charlton and West Ham appear just to be getting lucky now, rather than having significantly upped their game. Sheffield United in particular may be so bad that they will be caught and relegated instead, but, SS, do you think that Charlton have actually got better ? Am I being mislead by just seeing the highlights ?

From MotD, both Charlton and West Ham appear just to be getting lucky now, rather than having significantly upped their game. Sheffield United in particular may be so bad that they will be caught and relegated instead, but, SS, do you think that Charlton have actually got better ? Am I being mislead by just seeing the highlights ?

yes they are playing much better since pardew came to power before him we were a mid table championship side now maybe just maybe we can be a 17th premiership side its just one of those sort of times when we are getting the breaks were in the past we would have hit the post we now score

However for west ham they still have to play man utd chelsea and arsenal so i wont bet to much on them staying up

Excellent? It sucks!

Too right it sucks. Come on Quadruple!

(BTW, I'm not a Chelsea fan, but I would like to see a Quadruple in my lifetime.)

Too right it sucks. Come on Quadruple!

(BTW, I'm not a Chelsea fan, but I would like to see a Quadruple in my lifetime.)
Quadruple?

1. Champions League
2. Premiership title
3. FA Cup
4. League Cup maybe??

Quadruple?

1. Champions League
2. Premiership title
3. FA Cup
4. League Cup maybe??

Firstly, Chelsea have already won the Carling Cup. To make an irrelevant digression, that was how I won the quadruple in 2014 with Aston Villa in Championship Manager 4
Spoiler :
(that was an epic game starting in the Summer of 2002 - I started off with West Ham, won the UEFA Cup, the League Cup and the FA Cup in 3 seasons; went to Italy to manage Udinese who I got to win two Serie A titles, one UEFA Cup title, three Italian Cup titles and a Champions League in four seasons by 2009; my subsequent move to Juve however turned out to be a bad one as financial problems meant I couldn't buy anyone to reinvigorate my aging squad...I ended up at Villa in 2011 and with the help of some young talent invented by the game, I was able to win the Quadruple in 2014 and went on to win the Champions League and the Premiership for three consecutive seasons, strangely with no wins in the FA or League Cup).

I used to hate Man Utd (inevitable, since I'm an Arsenal fan) but with the rise of the soulless evil within our League in the form of Chelsea, I hope Man Utd wins the League. However I'd prefer Milan to win the Champions League (I just can't bear the inevitable boasting from Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea fans) and for Chelsea to win the FA Cup (I don't want Man Utd replicating an Arsenal-esque double).

Focusing on the Champions League, my prediction for this week's games are:

Man Utd 2 : 1 AC Milan
Chelsea 2 : 2 Liverpool

I used to hate Man Utd (inevitable, since I'm an Arsenal fan) but with the rise of the soulless evil within our League in the form of Chelsea, I hope Man Utd wins the League. However I'd prefer Milan to win the Champions League (I just can't bear the inevitable boasting from Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea fans) and for Chelsea to win the FA Cup (I don't want Man Utd replicating an Arsenal-esque double).

Do you mean the double Man Utd has already achieved on multiple occasions now?

Focusing on the Champions League, my prediction for this week's games are:

Man Utd 2 : 1 AC Milan
Chelsea 2 : 2 Liverpool

Yes...Cause Arsenal has never boasted about anything:rolleyes:

All fans boast when their clubs win, that includes Arsenal and Milan fans to.

I don't see it happen with us any time soon, but in England they now have the first female match commentator on "Match of the Day" (she already did the job on the radio).

It seems most people are positive about it, but there are a few who fear for the female invasion of the masculin bastion of football :rolleyes:

Read for example the comments of Dave Bassett. Link (scroll down)

I haven't watched MotD this weekend, so I have to ask: was she any good?

Yes...Cause Arsenal has never boasted about anything:rolleyes:

All fans boast when their clubs win, that includes Arsenal and Milan fans to.

He never claimed that this wasn't the case. Just that he didn't want to have to hear it. Being in London, it's not liely that he'll be coming across anywhere near as many AC Milan fans as Chelsea, Liverpool or Mand Utd. fans.

I haven't watched MotD this weekend, so I have to ask: was she any good?

Nothing special although it was Fulham against Blackburn which doesn't help as it was a low priority game.

But commentating is different. You must have an understanding of the game and the tactics and I think in order to do that you need to have played the game.

Thats just ridiculously wrong.

But commentating is different. You must have an understanding of the game and the tactics and I think in order to do that you need to have played the game.
Thats just ridiculously wrong.
Yes. And another question is: on what level? There are quite a few very good coaches with lots of understanding of the game who only played in a local league.
So I guess you can be a good commentator without being a (former) player.

To my experience the best commentators are precisely the ones that never played as registered players at least. I'm not saying that one implies the other, I'm just saying precisely the opposite: that you don't need to have a top flight player past to be a good coach and commentator, ie, there's no correlation. One of the best coaches in the world and the best commentator by far that I've seen in the portuguese TV was Mourinho, and his only one yrar experience in a non amateur team was thanks to nepotism, his father being that team's coach. But at the same time, he was studying in college and cultivating himself in everything football related, while top players usually don't take the same kind of effort.

Go Chelsea!

Sunderland 3 - 2 Burnley

With only Luton left to play, looks pretty likely the Mackem Army will be returning to the Premiership. Maybe it'll come a week early if Palace can get a result against Derby.

Top Bottom