1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

English Spelling Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by draco963, Nov 30, 2009.

1. draco963

draco963 Prince

This mod has been created to change the spelling of all the "Webster-ized" words to their more traditional Oxford spellings. You might also call this mod "English for non-Americans".

So: the goal is to change the spellings of all those words Webster decided needed modifying back to their original spellings. During the course of this project, I also found a number of plain spelling mistakes, and a few errors in grammar. All are listed below.

International words & place-names are very difficult to check, so I have, in most cases, left them as is. The few that I have changed were basically already known to me.

In the case of words that could be disputed (like checkered -> chequered (meaning a pattern of squares)) I have gone with the more traditional spelling. This has happened only very rarely.

Please find the mod here.

Here are the lists of changed items:

Spoiler Websterisms :
    Code:
    armor		->	armour
    axeman/men	->	axman/men
    behavior	->	behaviour
    canceled	->	cancelled
    checkered	->	chequered
    color		->	colour
    colosseum/s	->	coliseum/colisea
    commited	->	committed
    condolensces	->	condolences
    defense		->	defence
    enrollment	->	enrolment
    favor		->	favour
    flavor		->	flavour
    gray		->	grey
    guerilla	->	guerrilla
    harbor		->	harbour
    honor		->	honour
    jewelers	->	jewellers
    jewelry		->	jewellery
    kilometer	->	kilometre
    labor		->	labour
    maneuver	->	manoeuvre
    marshaled	->	marshalled
    mold		->	mould
    neighbor	->	neighbour
    occured		->	occurred
    rumor		->	rumour
    sanitarium	->	sanatorium
    skeptical	->	sceptical
    splendor	->	splendour
    theater		->	theatre
    vigor		->	vigour

This list, I am afraid, is not complete. I suffered an unexpected reboot of my system (damned Windows update! :gripe:) while making the changes, and had only partial notes actually written down. I will update this list as I catch changes not already written here.

Spoiler Spelling & grammatical errors :
    Code:
    SPELLING
    characterists	  ->	characteristics
    Dyansty		  ->	Dynasty
    warefare	  ->	warfare

GRAMMAR
    be be  		  ->	be
    to to  		  ->	to
    who [accusative]  ->	whom

This list, I am afraid, is not complete. I suffered an unexpected reboot of my system (damned Windows update! :gripe:) while making the changes, and had only partial notes actually written down. I will update this list as I catch changes not already written here.

Spoiler Proper- & Place-names :
    Code:
    Shereborne	->	Sherborne
    Strassburg	->	Strasbourg
    Malinese	->	Malian
    Ramesses	->	Ramses

Spoiler Exceptions :

The quote of the West Point Military Academy has been left with the spelling of "Honor", as it is a direct quote of an American institution.

2. draco963

draco963 Prince

3. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

Found a tiny, single little bug.
    In the file 'CIV4GameText_Warlords_Civilopedia' the very last </TEXT> line is missing it's slash, reading <TEXT> instead, thus causing the game to complain and not load the text files correctly.

4. gps

gps King

Some minor issues I noticed - if you want to correct text mistakes:
    - In the German civiliziation text it say "[realpolitik]" in brackets - which was taken over from Civ 3 where it set the word in italics. Does not work here, so the "[]" look strange and don't make sense.
    - Another Civ3 copy-issue: "Land of the Four Quarters" in the Inca text should be in quotation marks, not with question mark.
    - Mali civilization has some "?" instead of "-". Has been corrected in BTS, but not in Vanilla and Warlords.
    - Philip I of Macedon in Greek civilization text should be Philip II.