English Strategy

MorteEterna

Prince
This isn't the best strategy of the world, I wouldn't say that, but this work on deity and if you lose your attacks you won't lose the game. I'm not saying english are one of the best civ, however

Work on 2 forests and produce 2 warriors, you only need 5 turns, and now work on sea tiles to research bronze working, you will need 5 turns more. After this tech, start producing some archers, 1 in defence on the capital and 2 in choke points/ for new cities. By now you would get your settler free, grow in London and in the new city too, if you are not against good rushers (in that case produce 2 archers more in 5 turns). Build a new settler in London and now grow.
If you get a great builder rush Samurai Castle, and if you haven't that, try to get fast the Samurai Castle with a city having at least 3 pop and 6 hammers. Have at least 4-5 cities fast. Build a lot of archers (2 each city before democracy if you can) and while you produce them work on those technologies to start an attack:

Bronze working
Alphabet (build libraries if you need)
Pottery
Horseback riding
Ceremonial burial
Feudalism
Religion

While you have those techs, start building at least a barracks and knights. You will have a huge attack of:

12 + 3 (religion) + 3 (samurai castle) = 18

Veteran = 27. Now you can start rushing your enemies, and if you can get fast upgrades as blitz/ninja you will have a good bonus. Here you can see some images of my game, I was going to conquer 2 civs in the same time, using also Archers to attack those:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8...trat001le2.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2...trat003ba7.jpg

(I know that's italian but you can understand the bonuses I think..

Now reach as fast as possible the industrial era if you haven't killed them, and if you have conquered your enemies, get democracy and build a fleet as fast as possible to get a good bonus for the modern era. Galleons would give you a good bonus

Hard to use this strategy online. what date and how many knights do u have ready.

It does work online. Cheif Rocka on xbox live plays really well with the english. It seems like the best way to play them is Expand early on because of your archers and knights. Try to get one AI with a warrior army its well worth having a free capital from the AI. Take advantage of any dye you come across. Your archers are better than Pikemen because they cost less and do the same job. Also Youll have at least one knight army before 0 ad. Youll also be getting 2 GP fairly quickly.

It does work online. Cheif Rocka on xbox live plays really well with the english. It seems like the best way to play them is Expand early on because of your archers and knights. Try to get one AI with a warrior army its well worth having a free capital from the AI. Take advantage of any dye you come across. Your archers are better than Pikemen because they cost less and do the same job. Also Youll have at least one knight army before 0 ad. Youll also be getting 2 GP fairly quickly.

I know him because I teached him many strategies :D

English however aren't a good civilization to play online against good expanderslike romans or chinese in my opinion, because chinese could stop them too fast.. It depends on the starting position and only a knith army isn't enough to kill archers, as usual

A veteran Knight army can put in work against archers especially non vet archer army in non capital cities.

Who is to say you wont have more than one?

But if you're a civ like Rome, you could simply use your culture to crush the Knight armies. Unless the Knight has the Medic promotion, it'll have to move in and out of enemy territory to heal, giving the defenders more than enough time to be well equipped.

ummm, culture not gonna "crush" knights.

maybe it will keep a unit or two from healing, but basically if they get knights before you get pikemen, then your gonna have to have some counterattack units to have a chance to survive....

culture is not going be what helps romans beat the english. The english will probably have more culture than the Romans at this stage of the game anyway.

english are an ok civ, and they can actually be decent at tech if you find dye early on... the great scientist is what's gonna be a huge force a lot of the time for English, basically it's instant knights... it sucks because I almost never get the scientist when I'm playing with them. :(

Crush was a bad choice of wording, but you know what I mean. I never claimed that culture alone would be enough to defeat Knight armies. What I stated above was for your culture to save you a good 6+ turns for you to be able to research Democracy, as the enemy Knights would have to leave to heal. All good players should know that.

i don't know any good players that advocate culture as a solid defense strategy, but I knew what you ment about them not being able to heal. I usually don't think of Rome as the type of civ that I would have to move knights two or three turns away to heal, and then two or three turns back to attack again. but culture does help, but usually not this early in the game in my opinion. but your expirences may be different than mine. Admittably, there are so few players online that even focus on culture, especially with rome, to really have this thwart a knight rush.

But the English would be a better candidate to have this type of defense, since they have super-archers and bigger cultural borders during the early phases of the game, that you're gonna have to bring several knight armies to kill them.

Top Bottom