1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Enhanced Air Warfare 4VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by Asterix Rage, Mar 15, 2020.

1. FreedomSS

FreedomSS Chieftain

Hi, big fan of anything air related, just a suggestion though, could you code it so that the upgrade tree goes triplane>early monoplane>fighter>(mirage) jet fighter/mig29>F22/su57? the current upgrade tree makes no sense era wise, because there's mirages flying together with bf109s (default fighter) which kinda messes with the aestethics

2. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

The base concept of EAW is exactly to avoid that !

I've learnt a lot from ENW. More Naval Units with natural upgrade mechanics like you describe.
    Therefore, the frequency of upgrade availabilities is higher.
    e.g:
    Without ENW : Cruiser > Battleship
    With ENW : Cruiser > Dreadnought > Battleship

The consequence is that more gold is needed to maintain the fleet. The strength of Naval Units with ENW depend on Gold rather than Production.
    This is the bias I wanted to avoid with EAW. Production capacities is what you need if you want to control the sky. No more than before and not simply more gold than usual.
    EAW doesn't break the balance between yield need and strength of Air Units.
    It was not that easy for me to shape and code. I feel good with this achievement.

I know, it is not very common to observe this kind of situation. But Civilization is everything but real life.
    In real life, the bf109 (Fighter Unit) cannot be compared to a Mirage 2000 (Jet Fighter Unit).
    In VP/EAW, strength of Fighter RC 57 and Jet Fighter RC 65 are close
    Do you remember when there was F-22s flying together with bf109s?

A good game depends on a good gameplay where History is more and less an excuse to build up the scenario.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  3. FreedomSS

FreedomSS Chieftain

Haha alright, as long as you have a reason for it

4. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

I always enjoy reading his comments too.

Erikose likes this.
  5. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

eaw vp.png

EAW4VP is now like I wanted it since the beginning 7 months ago. Simple, efficient and beautiful.

Changes since the previous alpha3.5 version:
    Code:
    Version 1.0

Bug fixes:
    - Missing texture for the Strategic Bomber
    - Light Air Cover Promotion given to Mercenaries instead of Guerilla

Civilopedia:
    - Done (Please report typos or any type of errors)

Balance:
    - Some little RCS changes
    - Dogfighting I promotion to the P-80 dropped

Units Animation:
    - All animation sequences have been rewritten.
    - Each Air Unit (Vanilla and EAW) have a specific looking when flying, fighting and crashing.
    - Movement speed increases on a scale of 1.3 to 3 depending on the generation of the aircraft.
    - Different sound sources are mixed to improve the immersion effect.

Faster Aircraft Animations:
    EAW4VP takes control of the speed factor and sets it at x1 by default.
    Faster Aircraft Animations.sql can be edited to set an other speed factor.

The Mod was supposed to be named: Enhance Air Warfare 4VP
    (9a) at the front is to make sure EAW is loaded before any other Modmods that use a regular fx_triggers_air_unit.ftsxml
    e.g. : the SPAD S.VII in More Unique Components for VP

(9a) EAW4VP is now definitly compatible with all.

Dowload it

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I definitely plan to, just wanted to wait until you considered it in a "good" state. Looks like you've gotten it to a "ready to play" state, so I'll give it a shot in the near future.

7. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

8. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

VP New Beta Version - August 16th (8/16)
    :woohoo:

glider1 likes this.
  9. danymatrix

danymatrix Chieftain

hi! 8/16 compatible?

10. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

11. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

I like this mod, but I also think WW2 era fighters become obsolete too late. My suggestion is:

Triplane ---------------> Fighter ------------> Mig29 ---------------------------> Advanced
    ------------Monoplane --------------> Jet --------------> Stealth Fighter ---> Advanced

Biplane --------------> WW2 Bomber ---------------> B-52 ---------------> Stealth Bomber
    -------------Medium ---------------------> Strategic -------------> B-1 -----> Stealth Bomber

12. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

13. Jiggly

Jiggly Warlord

Hey, any idea if this will this work with 12-1 VP or too early to know?

danymatrix likes this.
  14. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

EAW 1.0 is fully compatible with VP(12-1-3)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Erikose, Kim Dong Un and Hinin like this.
  15. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

AR, I'm finally happy with the current VP version so I am giving your mod a test drive, will let you know what I think!

Asterix Rage likes this.
  16. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

So I played a game with the mod. Unfortunately didn't have a lot of late game combat so this initial assessment is more mouthfeel than anything (and I only got to play with the bombers no fighters). Just a note, in general I don't use mod mods much, so I'm always of the mindset of "do I really need this?" when I try one out. So take that with your de facto grain of salt.

1) In general, I like all of the new models. The artwork is clear and easy to tell units apart. I think the artwork is definitely the highlight of the mod.

2) The medium bomber comes extremely quickly after the biplane bomber, and the fact I couldn't upgrade one to the other felt very bad (I literally built the biplanes, realized I couldn't upgrade them, and scrap them and rebuilt...bleh). I do like the stats of the medium bomber, that +1 range is quite useful.

3) The fact that you can get air units in the north part of the tech tree is actually a negative to me instead of a positive. The way the tech tree is currently balanced, the north is your science heavy win the game faster route, but its balanced by a relative lack of military units. So you can only rush north if you feel safe in your defense. With this change, I can now field a full modern airforce going north, which seems to really undercut the south side, especially since these planes are also superior until you get very deep into the south side.

4) The stealth and advanced fighters come so late that I would never use them unless I'm playing like a marathon game, so perhaps they serve a good purpose then.

5) I do like that I have a set of aircraft that I can keep using oil for, versus going for aluminum later. To me, I would mainly use that to field aluminum bombers with a few oil fighters.

6) I like the P-80 being your bonus for pentagon, it always felt weird that you just got these two jet fighters out of the blue.

7) In general the stats felt pretty good for their place in the tech tree, nothing seemed particularly off, though I really didn't' get to use the most advanced bombers that much.

My overall take: Personally I would come to this mod for the artwork. Right now, the units feel "crammed in" to me, just more units for the sake of having more units. Perhaps for players on Epic and Marathon speeds, this offers some more granularity that they would find appealing, but on standard speed these units come way too fast. Personally I would rather see tech improvements to air unit promotions and less units (like how you brought in the "see 6 hex" promotion a little earlier). This would offer me small improvements to the aircraft without the constant need for upgrades.

Asterix Rage likes this.
  17. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

Been playing with this mod in addition to Enhanced Naval Warfare for a while exclusively on Epic speed Emperor/Immortal difficulty and i think i have got to try what both have to offer to give a review.
    • I like how EAW avoided the trap ENW fell into which is just filling the gap between late game units with intermediate units that really made the cost of upgrading the navy a hefty one ..... EAW added a new line of bombers/fighters and altred the current line while keeping the number of unit in a given line the same.
    • The new line of bombers/Fighters fills the big gap between WW I bombers and Atomic era bombers but the lack of a selective upgrade system in the game as a base makes the first time to try them and getting disappointed by the inability to upgrade Bibombers to Medium bombers does feel bad .... again this is just how i felt the first time i tried it.
    • P80-Shooting star ... I really like it but to be honest it have the same bad mouthfeel as the CS-Gift only units that are rarely seen if ever, It would have been nice make it a trainable unit in the city where the pentagon is built rather than just two copies in the entire game?
    • The shift of techs to unlock Jet fighter and strategic bomber from the lower side of the tree at combined arms to the upper side at Telecommunications is kind of confusing ... i think they are better fitting at the lower half of the tree.
    • Honestly i never got to try stealth bombers at all, being unlocked by the last column of the tech tree makes a rare sight.
    • The fighters line is in a bad place to be honest; it competes with bombers for oil and airport space and i just cannot justify training them unless the AI has a lot of interceptor fighters .... this is more of a VP balance issue rather than a problem with EAW.

Asterix Rage likes this.
  18. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Did another run, and got in some more attack with the medium bomber. I really like its stats overall, and generally I've found it worth waiting until atomic theory to build aircraft instead of at flight.

Just checking, did you adjust interception damage in anyway? I felt like in general my planes were taking less interception damage from AA guns, and wondered if that was an intentional mod mod change.

19. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Happy that is noticeable. It's one of my main focus.

The all new concept (2 unit lines) is in there. Do not fell bad ! Biplane Bombers will be upgradeable soon after the medium Bombers.
    At any time the Air units are a mix of older airplanes upgraded and new innovative models. It's what happen in RL actually.

I chose to put new units north to avoid all air units in row south of the tree. But you are righ. It breaks the fondamentale tech tree concept. North of the tree is for science/development, south is for military force.
    You just point out a crazy mistake I made. It will be fix next release.

I am a marathon lover. That's why.

But it's still a Jet fighter before the Fighter! I plan to replace it in the future with a P47 or something.

Standard speed is too speed IMO

It's planned. At least to have Air Units able to deal with large naval/interceptor fleet. I still don't know how !

I like it too :lol:

EAW must be play twice to feel this very uncommon new concept.

Pentagon gives two P80 units because VP does. Not my idea!

OK. I tried north to see what the result is in game. It will be south next release.

If VP fix the issue, EAW will.

Nop. All the few changes I made can be seen in \MODS\(9a) Enhanced Air Warfare 4VP (v 1.3)\coreEAW_Fine_Setting.sql

Thank for all your comments. It help me a lot to imagine what to do to make EAW even better in the future

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  20. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

On 1.15 using Rocket missile provokes a CTD. Maybe VP not EAW.