[MOD] Enhanced Conquest Modmod

JosEPh_II

TBS WarLord
NOTICE! This Modmod is Now OBSOLETE! Do Not Use with v44.

The current state of this modmod is basically worthless with it's current settings.

That said I have adjusted the Config settings and Now it's a bit more worthwhile when you capture a rival's city.

Just 2 simple changes and what was much more common in vanilla Civ IV BtS is brought back to life with this modmod.

See attached text.

To use go into Caveman2Cosmos directory Find the Caveman2Cosmos Config file. Open with Notepad and change the values found there. Below is what I have done.
1st # changed from True to False
2nd # changed = 0 to = 20
3rd # = 10
Then save file.

Will look like this.

[Enhanced Tech Conquest]
# If this is set to False, then you can get beakers towards techs you don't have the prerequisites for.
Check Prereq = False
# Base percentage of a tech that is transferred upon conquest - Range(-infinity, 100)
# Using negative value here won't cause you to loose tech progress, but it will act as an offset to the population percent.
Base Percent = 20
# Tech Percentage per population point - Range(1, 100)
Population Percent = 10

Last edited:
I see 82 visits to this thread. Good. Means that at leasrt a decent %age of players would like a little better reward for capturing a rival city. :)

How many techs are improved by capturing a city?
Depends upon how advanced the opponent is above you the player. And you get research point towards the "list of techs". The List can be as low as 1 or as high as 5 from what I have experienced. I do not recall getting a complete tech though. It may have occurred at some point. But the common result is a list of techs with how many research pts you got towards it's set number. Most points gotten was about 400 or so many are in the 100-200 pt range.

If I can remember and when it happens again (ie I can capture a rival city) I will capture a screen shot and post it here.

I have not written down exact results. But was Pleased that I was actually getting something after years of getting nothing.

Without this, the most techs I've gotten research towards on conquest was 9 I think.
A long while ago it was limited to just one - then we opened it up to being potentially quite a few but not nearly as much research towards each. The limit can then be partly how many techs the enemy has you don't. I think there's some randomization in it still too.

I ask because if the # of techs you can get a bonus towards is still high and we are turning up the amount you get towards a tech, then you can actually get more than a tech's worth of research with every city you capture, which would make capturing cities clearly the best thing you could do if you were beginning to fall behind. IN fact, you'd almost be wasting the benefit of war if you didn't wait until you were falling a little behind before you invade a neighbor.

Just stuff to consider when thinking of all the consequences of a change. I'm not advocating any position here. It's a modmod. But if people really like it, then I have to consider it for the core and if I'm considering it for the core, I need to do so in light of the whole arrangement.

A long while ago it was limited to just one - then we opened it up to being potentially quite a few but not nearly as much research towards each. The limit can then be partly how many techs the enemy has you don't. I think there's some randomization in it still too.

I ask because if the # of techs you can get a bonus towards is still high and we are turning up the amount you get towards a tech, then you can actually get more than a tech's worth of research with every city you capture, which would make capturing cities clearly the best thing you could do if you were beginning to fall behind. IN fact, you'd almost be wasting the benefit of war if you didn't wait until you were falling a little behind before you invade a neighbor.

Just stuff to consider when thinking of all the consequences of a change. I'm not advocating any position here. It's a modmod. But if people really like it, then I have to consider it for the core and if I'm considering it for the core, I need to do so in light of the whole arrangement.
If the enemy is sufficiently far ahead in techs and you manage to conquer a relatively high population city from them then you could very well get 3 techs value in free beakers now.
But also, you get far less beakers per city you conquer now if the enemy is not far ahead or the city is a relatively weak city of the nation you conquer it from.

I feel the change I made to tech conquest neither nerfed it nor buffed it ocverall, at least not significantly either way, just made it more interesting with more factors being considered.

Last edited:
I feel the change I made to tech conquest neither nerfed it nor buffed it ocverall, at least not significantly either way, just made it more interesting with more factors being considered.
Apparently I don't exactly agree with your overview. I'm telling you I got Nothing from capturing a rival city before I started to use these changes. Enhanced Conquest was a Total Non factor. Now it's not. Did I make it too strong? Don't think so but we will see when Any feedback starts to come in. Or the lack of the same.

@Thunderbrd ,
ATM I put this modmod up for players to use and evaluate. IF and only IF there becomes sufficient calls for it to be used By the players (not me) would I even consider asking it to be included in the main.

ATM I put this modmod up for players to use and evaluate. IF and only IF there becomes sufficient calls for it to be used By the players (not me) would I even consider asking it to be included in the main.
I'm just attempting to understand what settings it has in full as the amount of techs one can get benefit towards wasn't mentioned.

I'm just attempting to understand what settings it has in full as the amount of techs one can get benefit towards wasn't mentioned.
It depends upon the city captured and from the level the AI empire is at. Not sure how to give you a definitive answer. Since it varies.

When I get the chance to conquer a city I will remember to capture the list and post it thru a screen shot or 2.

And of course there will be many variants thru Options Used as well.

It depends upon the city captured and from the level the AI empire is at. Not sure how to give you a definitive answer. Since it varies.

When I get the chance to conquer a city I will remember to capture the list and post it thru a screen shot or 2.

And of course there will be many variants thru Options Used as well.
Well... IIRC, there's a global that sets the maximum amount of techs that you can get invasion bonus towards out of one city capture. I was wondering what you set that to.

I realize there's a random result between 1 and this number and limited by how many techs they know that you don't yet.

I'm also realizing that if you don't know what that variable is any more than I can recall which one it's called, then you would not have manipulated the # at all and thus it still stands as it does in the core of the mod files.

I'm also realizing that if you don't know what that variable is any more than I can recall which one it's called, then you would not have manipulated the # at all and thus it still stands as it does in the core of the mod files.
Correct. Only thing I did is what I posted in the OP.

Apparently I don't exactly agree with your overview. I'm telling you I got Nothing from capturing a rival city before I started to use these changes. Enhanced Conquest was a Total Non factor.
Yeah, I designed it to give practically nothing if the enemy you conquered a city from was not sufficiently ahead or if the city you conquered was a relatively insignificant city of the other nation.

Yeah, I designed it to give practically nothing if the enemy you conquered a city from was not sufficiently ahead or if the city you conquered was a relatively insignificant city of the other nation.
So what happens when you conquer a whole Empire and nothing is given???? And you are an Era behind in Tech????

I think you're exaggerating, I usually get beakers towards techs when I conquer cities, @IdioticUlt1mara gets beakers towards techs when conquering cities and I've watched hem conquer many cities in his streams.
Think what you want. And I think you're being defensive. It's a modmod. Simple as that, that fits a need. You don't like it that's Okay too. I don't like everything in this mod either.

And I don't play the same options as IdoitUltimara Nor even the same as you or T-brd or Lots of other players. I keep it basic.

Been a while since I've watched Any of his lets Play as a matter of fact.

So..... your turn.....

Think what you want. And I think you're being defensive. It's a modmod. Simple as that, that fits a need. You don't like it that's Okay too. I don't like everything in this mod either.
And I don't play the same options as IdoitUltimara Nor even the same as you or T-brd or Lots of other players. I keep it basic.
So..... your turn.....
I've nothing against this modmod, I allowed the settings to be in a config file to let people easily adjust them to their likings; I didn't put much time into adjusting those values for core C2C so I won't claim they are ideally adjusted there at the moment.

Just participating in the conversation as I've insight into the code there, TB wanted some explanation on how it worked, and I find it curious that you got nothing from conquering a whole empire that was an era ahead of you without geting tech conquest from it; maybe there's a bug there of some sort so any info on it makes me pay attention.

and I find it curious that you got nothing from conquering a whole empire that was an era ahead of you without geting tech conquest from it;
Remember back in late 2018 (maybe early 2019) when I was commenting/complaining about it then. When it was taking 10 minutes per turn for me in the early Med Era om Immortal. Around the time I 1st started to tweak/adjust the Civics. I have brought this up before. I commented on the form of this Enhanced mod being changed. Less variables to adjust in the config. You told me it was all good. Well...since then it's really Not been all good. If it had I would have never bother even putting it out as a modmod. There would've been no reason for this at all if it was all good.

Check up on this little modmod. I'm still using it.

Top Bottom