Enhanced User Interface v1.29h

Civ5 Enhanced User Interface

1. Stocke

Stocke Chieftain

Hey guys, for some reason i'm not getting the City Border Growth notification, and it was the thing i wanted the most.
    Anyone had the same problem? How can i resolve?

2. Ulysses

Ulysses Chieftain

okay, thanks.

3. Narkis

Narkis Chieftain

So, I gave the mod to a friend and he has a weird issue. For some reason he can't see the tile yields of his capital, either on the main map or the city screen. His tile yields show normally in every other tile of his game. Any idea what might be causing that?

4. civ5newb

civ5newb Chieftain

The mod is great, but a lot of the tooltips contain just variable names and not explanation. For example:
    Num City Cost Mod
    Global Plot Culture Cost Modifier
    Plot Culture Cost Modifier
    Military Production Modifier
    Extra Luxuries
    Global Espionage Modifier
    etc.

The Courthouse repeats "Eliminates Unhappiness from an Occupied City" twice:
    http://imgur.com/NDfPh9R

National Intelligence Agency dumps several variables and their values that don't make a lot of sense, without actually reading the original help text at the bottom
    http://imgur.com/W3r2I5J

Machu Picchu's "City Connection Trade Route Modifier 25%" is just another variable name+value and it is totally unnecessary when there is "+25% Gold from City Connections." at the bottom.
    http://imgur.com/oRh3oaJ

etc. etc.

There are things like NukeImmune and Capture Chance that seems unnecessary, but they create additional clutter.

I am probably just being pedantic, but fixing the tooltips and removing the placeholder variables would be nice to have sometime in the future.

5. psparky

psparky Prince

The discussion on providing a backdrop to the civ/cs ribbons sadly seems to have stalled. In the meantime I tried this solution and thought it looked good, but it's too transparent for my taste. It looks ok over a fairly clear area, like the ocean, but leaks through too much noise when over a busy area.

Had a go at changing the xml myself in various ways, but I guess I don't have the knowledge/skill to come up with a solution. Then it occurred to me to try doubling up the image, like putting two layers of semi-transparent film together. And it works!

If anyone wants to try this, just duplicate the <Image> lines - I changed the Id for the second copy by adding a "2", which may or may not be necessary.

Still hoping for an approved solution :)

6. bc1

bc1

EUI Version 1.28f is now available
    • CityBanners: highlight cities at war with you
    • UnitFlagManager: more efficient unit flag manager (should improve late game performance)
    • UnitFlagManager: highlight units at war with you
    • UnitFlagManager: more convenient aircraft management
    • UnitFlagManager: expanded unit tooltip with all promotion icons
    • UnitFlagManager: native support for several units per tile
    • UnitFlagManager: native support for airbases
    • Improvements: show available tenets during mouse over, even if not selectable yet
    • Changed pipelining prioritizing for instant response to user actions (some are still subject to user defined delays in "interface options" screen)
    • Fixed some bugs
    • Miscellaneous improvements
    Excellent suggestion: the good news is that you can easily improve the automatically generated blurbs in the file "EUI_text_en_us.txt" with a simple text editor such as notepad++ and share the results with everyone :)
    official solution is already implemented, see post #2289

7. Serp

Serp King

nice :)
    but I see you changed the UnitFlagManager ...
    The most important mod that changes this, is the FlagPromotions mod.
    So it would be best, if you could also make it compatible
    Here is the latest UnitFlagManager.lua which is also compatible to airbase mod:
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-11350323/UnitFlagManager.lua.html
    Here the thread:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=547864
    (the v1.66 you can download at the official thread is outdated and Barra had not the time to update the thread yet)

edit:
    I just tested your new version.
    I see you added the promotions in the screen when hovering over the flag. It is a nice solution, but the FlagPromotion Mod is a better solution, because you can read the description of each promotion easily even if it is an enemy unit.
    So maybe the best way is to simply implement the whole FlagPromotions Mod ? :D
    But implementing the whole mod is difficult, if you don't now every promotion from every mod / don't have an smaller icon for it.

... so how about a check, if the flagpromotions mod is active. If so EUI does not change the flag + promotion thing and is compatible to FlagPromotion Mod. And without the Mod active, it is done like it is now.

8. bc1

bc1

there's no arguing personal preferences
    advertising here is kinda uncouth though

9. Serp

Serp King

do you mean my post is unwanted advertisement ?!
    It is not ment to be ad. I just asked you to support that mod, like you support the airbase mod, because it is a quite popular mod and a good solution to see enemies promotion descriptions (which is not possible with your solution).
    And it perfectly fits to your aim, to make UI better.

but okay, you don't want it. It was just a suggestion ;)

10. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

With the greatest respect, I feel that calling the post "advertising" is rather harsh. It is not as if Serp is the originator of the FlagPromotions mod. It has a long history, and I remember when it was a part of Thalassicus's CivUp, though I'm not sure that he originated it. It is not as if Serp is trying to "sell" something that he made, or get glory for it.

Anyway, personally I find FlagPromotions one of the most useful mods available for Civ5, and I was very glad to see a while back that someone had resurrected it. It would be wonderful if it could be made compatible with EUI, though I can see that might not make sense given other changes made to the Unit display. If I had to choose, I would certainly opt for FlagPromotions and disabling EUI's Unit display. (I'll have to find out how to do that.) It's personal choice of course, but I, for one, would not want to play without FlagPromotions.

Once again, I can only thank you for EUI -- it is a great mod, and makes playing Civ5 so much nicer.

11. Serp

Serp King

bc1 made his EUI that way, that it is easy to reverse changes. So if you don't want UnitFlagManager changes, just delete (or rename) the UnitFlagManager folder from EUI and everything is fine.

12. psparky

psparky Prince

Feeling foolish, not for the first time here. :blush: The graphic change is fairly subtle and isn't enough for me, but that is just personal taste, so no worries there.

Haven't seen all the latest changes in action yet, but a couple of days ago I was wishing I could see all the tenets once I had opened a tree (I don't know them well enough yet) so I'm very happy with that change.

I was also fighting a war with Siam when Egypt joined in against them; they have similar colours so identifying friend and foe needed close inspection. I loaded up a save from this time and the new highlighting looked great.

Thanks for great update!

13. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

Is there a guide somewhere that explains which specific parts of the .lua files to remove for partial edits? So far I can only seem to use an all-or-nothing approach to editing the EUI.

For example, what if I want to keep all the top panel features (very neat features with the countdown to tech/policy/great prophet), but not the split panel itself (top right panel, top left panel)?

Another example, what if I want to use the EUI city screen production queue features, but use the vanilla production menu which is bigger and covers almost the entire left screen?

I can delete the TopPanel and CityView folders just fine, but then I would lose all EUI perks that come with the folders.

Appreciate the help. EUI rocks. :)

14. psparky

psparky Prince

It doesn't work like that. Taking your example of the city screen, it is either fully implemented by EUI when the folder is present, or fully implemented by the original UI when it's not. If you removed the production queue from the EUI code, it wouldn't use the original implementation because the file that contains it isn't loaded when the EUI folder is present.

What you would need to do would be to produce a merged version of the source with the original production queue but all the other EUI stuff intact (and do the same for the xml btw). Then you would need to deal with all the compatibility complications, of which I'm sure there will be several. Not impossible I suppose, but far from easy.

15. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Hey bc1,

While updating CBP files to the latest EUI, I noticed that the latest EUI breaks compatibility with the firetuner. Might want to look into that (it breaks the ability to plop improvements/resources/units).

Cheers,
    Gazebo

16. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

I see. That's a shame. Thanks for the explanation!

17. Lynnes

Lynnes King

nevermind

18. civ5newb

civ5newb Chieftain

I can help you with that. I was also annoyed by the constant resizing of the panel.

Civ5Screen0002.jpg

19. Lynnes

Lynnes King

Mind sharing what you've done to achieve this?

20. Anataboshi

Anataboshi Chieftain

Hello, i've downloaded and tried EUI, and I really loved it

It only have one problem, in the normal game, when you hover your mouse over a tile, it shows what building is on it, what ressources it gives etc.. but when i have EUI on, it takes quite a long time to show it, it takes like 10-15 seconds, and I don't understand why, how can i fix this ?

I have no other problem with this mod, and it's really great, but i'm used to over my mouse over tiles like that, and it's kind of annoying that it takes to much time now