Resource icon

Enhanced User Interface v1.29i

Thanks mbbcam for your reply. Are you using a non-beta version of EUI? And in case of the 'Text' folder there seems to already exist an 'EUI_text_en_us.xml' file. Is there then supposed to be three .xml files in the 'Text' folder? Thanks for your help :)

Could someone be nice enough to instruct me on how to remove the EUI notifications for population increases and cultural border expansions?

I find these to be quite cluttersome and cause me to miss the more important notifications like wonders being finished and what tech ppl enter new eras through.

A solution would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thanks mbbcam for your reply. Are you using a non-beta version of EUI? And in case of the 'Text' folder there seems to already exist an 'EUI_text_en_us.xml' file. Is there then supposed to be three .xml files in the 'Text' folder? Thanks for your help :)
Whenever I have tried to use the betas they have not worked for me, so I continue to use the old, stable version. On my system there is only one xml file in the Text folder. I don't know if the beta requires more files in that folder as I haven't tried it for a long time (at least a year or two). I get the impression that EUI uses quite a lot of computing resources (I may be mistaken): the computer tends to run very hot and I do tend to get crashes. For that reason I have taken to running the game under Windows on a Virtual Machine. It still runs with the fans working quite hard, but it never crashes. I might try the beta of EUI to see if it works better in the Windows environment. Cheers!

if you come up with a list...

Well...to tell the truth didn't expect a reply from you, but hey..cool.
Good suggestions came up but i put the tests on hold for now.
As soon as i test it, ill share it here.

Thanks.

Hi, I really enjoy the interface, but the game keeps crashing.
I have a feeling its usually between turn 50 and 150.
I really enjoy the game and this expansion so I hope someone can help me

have civ5 version 1.42
I have all expansions and use no other DLC than steam installs.
I play the game on a mac.
It keeps crashing at end turn clicks since I installed eui (1.28 as well as the newest version), shuts down and goes back to desktop.

The paths are a little different on my mac than the readme suggests.
/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Text/
&
/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Assets/Assets/DLC/

The crashes are consistent, I checked with autosaves. Anyone an idea how I can fix this?

Attachments

• Lua.txt
    8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
@FabFab if the crash is consistent, you should attach a savegame.
@bc1 How can we help to track down crashes? I tried running the game with VS dll debugger active and when EUI crashes, I unfortunately only get, that it was a lua51 crash.
A 50% reproducable crash is when you start a modded game and then try to go back to main menu. (at first I thought it is 100% reproducable, but for whatever reason it does not crash always)

edit:
tried to find a 100% reproducable crash, but did not found one yet. But while enabling mods, starting/loading games, leaving to mainmenu and so on (to reproduce the crash above), I had another crash while trying to start a new game, that showed a dll error this time in CVMapGenerator.cpp:
Spoiler :
Code:
int CvMapGenerator::pGenerateRandomMap(lua_State* L)
{
   cvStopWatch stopWatch("CvMapGenerator - GenerateRandomMap()");
   ICvEngineScriptSystem1* pkScriptSystem = (ICvEngineScriptSystem1*)lua_touserdata(L, 1);

lua_getglobal(L, "GenerateMap");
   if(lua_isnil(L, -1))
       luaL_error(L, "Cannot find map script entry point GenerateMap()");

pkScriptSystem->CallFunction(L, 0, 0);

return 0;
}
the line:
pkScriptSystem->CallFunction(L, 0, 0);
was the one that caused the crash. Not sure though if this is related to EUI... maybe because of the new style of the modmenu, maybe not.

edit:
yes the new mod menu is quite buggy. for example if you first hit "new game" and then go "back" and then hit "load game", you will instead go to main menu. So a crash because of this is also quite likely unfortunately.

Last edited:
I guess the following is a bug not a feature about zooming in/out of city view:
Vanilla Game: Game remembers your zoom - you enter city view and the zoom is adjusted to have a proper view - you leave city view and the game restores your previous zoom.
EUI : - you enter city view and the zoom is adjusted to have a proper view - you leave city view and the game sets the same zoom you had in the city view (so usually quite far zoom).
This has the frustrating side effect, that my prefered zoom level is always changed when leaving a city.

edit:
guess I found the bug location, in CityView.lua line 2137 is written:
UI.LookAt( plot, 1 ) -- 1 = city zoom, 2 = player zoom
while it should be:
UI.LookAt( plot, 2 ) -- 1 = city zoom, 2 = player zoom

Last edited:
@bc1 in case you dont know how to debug lua crashes (without anything in the logfiles) you could ask ilteroi from CP team. They just added a lua callstack to their minidump file if stackwalker is enabled. I'm not yet experienced enough to use this, but you may be and it will finally make your mod perfect.
So I really hope you can fix all lua crashes that way =/

@Serp: sorry EUI is not working out for you... Although I will continue to fix things when they are identified, I don't want to take the time to debug stuff.
Please don't keep your hopes too high, it's possible the crashes are due to bugs in the game engine itself, over which we have no control (except to work around them).

@Serp: sorry EUI is not working out for you... Although I will continue to fix things when they are identified, I don't want to take the time to debug stuff.
Please don't keep your hopes too high, it's possible the crashes are due to bugs in the game engine itself, over which we have no control (except to work around them).
ok, thank you very much for your reply :) 1.28 did not crash, so I think it is fixable, unfortunately it is very hard to reproduce the crashes, tried it today several hours (without playing, just testing), but for some reaon no crash this time...

the feature icons are not updated regulary. Eg when I remove a feature, the icon stays on the tile until I load or I disable/enable that icon.

the beta series push the envelope a bit more than 1.28, under the hood it's quite different, if 1.28 works for you why not stick with that ?
figuring out what the game engine does not like with the beta might not be a reachable goal
if you have time to spare, try disabling modules (delete corresponding forder) to at least isolate a possible root cause

the beta series push the envelope a bit more than 1.28, under the hood it's quite different, if 1.28 works for you why not stick with that ?
figuring out what the game engine does not like with the beta might not be a reachable goal
if you have time to spare, try disabling modules (delete corresponding forder) to at least isolate a possible root cause
Unfortunately it doesn't.
Version 1.28f and also 1.28g broke firetuner and several mods (back then when I made my modpack, maybe it added a new lua file incompatible to some mods, dont remember). That is why I sticked to 1.28e which worked. But that had the problem of increased turn duration ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/steam-internet-game-very-slow-turns.614235/#post-14981566 ), so I had to remove it too =/
The current beta version works with firetuner and mods, I dont know if the turn duration problem was fixed, wasnt able to play until the late game yet with beta EUI, because of the crashes.

Yes I already removed some modules, especially the frontend (menu changes), but I still had at least one crash, but as I said it is not easy to reproduce sadly.
But I will continue to have EUI and Visual studio active, to further test without needing extra time.

Btw. another suggestion for frontend:
- Allow information about Civs/Leaders in advanced game setup (important for mutliplayer, since there is only the advanced setup)
- The background of main menu and so on should only change when I click on the background, not when I accidently click next to a button. And it should not insta-switch the image, but with an image-effect, so fadeout, if this is possible.
Of course, compared to bugifxes, this is a very minor suggestion :D

edit:
And could you please make the movement range and rangestrike range display optional? It is really confusing with those always present lines to distinguish between them and civ borders =/ Unfortunately the current option for displaying is only for ranged and only for prediction, while this is a good feature. The best possible result is, that both ranges are only displayed while holding the right mouse button (to move) or the range display only during the "range strike" mode.
And while in range strike mode: rightcliking anywhere should disable that mode. Currently you are locked into that mode until you hit the enable/disable button again, which does the opposite from "easier UI" unfortunately :(

Last edited:
if you have time to test for stability, you can launch a game in automated mode : multiplayer / LAN / civ 1 = observer & all other civ = AI
I have no plans to make the movement range and rangestrike range display optional, simply remove the InGame module/folder
while in range strike mode, pressing ESC exits the mode, it would be easy to add right click but that's the strike key in "default" mode

Can you make it so you can see citizen tile placements in puppeted and spied on cities like you can in vanilla? It seems strange that after adding so much, they would take away something so small but useful.

I installed this mod a couple years ago, and after trying it, I can no longer play without it. It gives me so much more information at a glance than vanilla, without needlessly obstructing my view or distracting me from the game itself. Also nice to see that you have continued to update it since my last Civ 5 binge. Well done.
Hi, Quick question for you, just installed it today, Can"t find the way to buy a box on the map
Any adise?
thanks

Hi, Quick question for you guys,

Just installed EUI today, Can"t find the way to buy a box on the map wit,h thi snew interface, usually it's at the botom of the Town page section
Any adise?
thanks

Hi, Quick question for you guys,

Just installed EUI today, Can"t find the way to buy a box on the map wit,h thi snew interface, usually it's at the botom of the Town page section
Any adise?
thanks

frenchAlex, this wasn't immediately obvious to me either. In the upper left-hand corner there is a gold coin you can click to enable buying tiles.

Sorry to bother you all, but I'm having a bit of a problem where there's no interface for the units.
I can only make units perform actions with keyboard commands or by directly clicking them and dragging them around with the right mouse key. I also have to use a keyboard command to end the turn.
All other interfaces - the info panels and whatnot, the diplomatic panel, etc. etc. - work as normal.
Another potential problem is that the interface essentially looks the same as normal except for the top bar, which has the EUI alterations.

However, when I remove all of the modded civs and play only with basic modifications such as JFD's Social Policy trees or the various "extra resources" mods, it looks exactly like in Marbozir's screenshot on the main EUI page and works just as well.

My Civ 5 version is 1.0.3.279; my EUI version is the most recent legacy version (the one before the beta.)

In terms of expansions and DLC, I have G&K, BNW, CNW-Deluxe, Explorers, Mongolia, Denmark, Spain & Inca, Polynesia, Babylonia, Scrambled Continents, Scrambled Nations, Korea, and Wonders of the Ancient World.

In terms of mods, I have the following (bold mods give me no issues)

• Amer-Asian Resources (v. 5)
  • Barbarians - Unlimited Exp. (v. 2)
  • Civ4 Diplomatic Features (v. 11)
  • Fire Emblem - Holy War Pack (v. 7)
  • Fire Emblem - Lorenz and Yubello of Grust (v. 4)
  • Fire Emblem - Shannan of Isaach (v. 2)
  • Fire Emblem - The Adrestian Empire (v. 1)
  • Fire Emblem Lyndis of the Sacean Plains (v. 3)
  • Gripsholm Wonder (v. 2)
  • Historical Religions Complete (v. 45)
  • HRE City-States (v. 1) (not sure if this one gives no issues)
  • InfoAddict (v. 22)
  • JFD's Civilizations - Austria (Joseph II) (v. 2)
  • JFD's Civilizations - Byzantium (Justinian I) (v. 2)
  • JFD's Civilizations - Francia (Charlemagne) (v. 7)
  • JFD's Civilizations - Kongo (Afonso I) (v. 1)
  • JFD's Civilizations - Leon (Ferdinand I) (v. 1)
  • JFD's Civilizations - Norway (Haakon IV) (v. 9)
  • JFD's Rise to Power (1) (Core) Utilities (v. 1)
  • JFD's Rise to Power (2) (UI) Social Policy Screen (v. 3)
  • JFD's Rise to Power (4) (Content) Additional Policy Trees (v. 3)
  • JFD's The Anglo-Saxons (v. 1)
  • JFD's The Duchy of Burgundy (v. 1)_
  • JFD's The Duchy of Milan (v. 3)
  • JFD's The Electorate of Saxony (v. 1)
  • JFD's The Empire of Rome (Constantine) (v. 2)
  • JFD's The Empire of Russia (Peter the Great) (v. 4)
  • JFD's The Empire of Serbia (v. 1)
  • JFD's The Grand Principality of Muscovy (v. 2)
  • JFD’s The High Kingdom of Ireland (v. 1)
  • JFD’s The Khazar Khaganate (v. 2)
  • JFD’s The Kingdom of Bavaria (v. 2)
  • JFD’s The Kingdom of Belgium (v. 1)
  • JFD’s The Kingdom of Bohemia (v. 3)
  • JFD’s The Kingdom of Egypt (Akhenaten) (v. 1)
  • JFD’s The Kingdom of Portugal (v. 1)
  • JFD’s The Kingdom of Scotland (v. 2)
  • JFD’s The Merchant Republic of Novgorod (v. 2)
  • JFD’s The Papal States (v. 2)
  • More City-Sates (sic) Luxuries (v. 3)
  • More Luxuries (v. 155)
  • Promotions – Ancient Ruins Choice (v. 2)
  • Really Advanced Setup (v. 15)
  • Religion – Beliefs Expansion (v. 26)
  • Resource – Granary includes Bison (v. 3)
  • Resource Buildings+ (v. 7)
  • Resources – Copper buff (v. 1)
  • Wartburg Wonder (v. 5)
  • Westminster Abbey Wonder (v. 1)

As I’ve never had this kind of problem before I installed EUI, I suspect it may be some sort of a conflict between EUI and one of the custom civs. It's probably not, I think, the city-state mod.

For your reference, I’ve attached two of my most recent save files and a screenshot, as well as my lua and database log files, in a zip file.

I understand that you’re all very busy and so will understand if you can’t give me very detailed advice – general advice is more than sufficient.'
My next test is going to be whether or not it works with EUI removed.
Update: the game works with no issues I haven't experienced before without EUI.

Attachments

• EUIGlitchReport.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
This savefile crashes every time after ending the next turn using the latest beta. I'm on Linux. I tried removing randomly some folders of the plugin, that helped, but I couldn't identify which part is responsible for the crash

Attachments

• crash.zip
    792.7 KB · Views: 32
This savefile crashes every time after ending the next turn using the latest beta. I'm on Linux. I tried removing randomly some folders of the plugin, that helped, but I couldn't identify which part is responsible for the crash

I was able to track this down a bit more: the savefile is now at the end of turn, to trigger the crash just end the turn. And it seems to be the "unitflagmanager" component, if I remove it I can proceed to the next turn. Hope this helps to improve this great addon!

Attachments

• crash-specific.zip
    806.6 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom