Resource icon

Enhanced User Interface v1.29i

He has no clients. Modders don't sell what they do, they mostly do it for, well, call it "love" if you want... he does not answer to anyone but himself.

It is our burden to try and understand his work. Specially if he even includes instructions.

I respectfully disagree. If he made the mod for himself he wouldn't have put it out for others to use. Once he does "publish" it, he has the unwritten obligation to make it user friendly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I respectfully disagree. If he made the mod for himself he wouldn't have put it out for others to use. Once he does "publish" it, he has the unwritten obligation to make it user friendly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

He can simply publish it for those who are able to use it as it is, there is no moral obligation here.

He has no clients. Modders don't sell what they do, they mostly do it for, well, call it "love" if you want... he does not answer to anyone but himself.

It is our burden to try and understand his work. Specially if he even includes instructions.

I understand your point however 18 pages of posts with the OP still involved suggests otherwise. I wasn't trying to give him a hard time. I was simply pointing out the way to avoid becoming frustrated at end user stupidity. Fwiw I love the mod if I haven't expressed that clearly enough.

Using version 15 & CEP

I'm not 100% certain, but before the v15 change to CityView.lua I was able to use both CEP & EUI and have no problems with the ProductionPopup panel. Now the popup for all the items shows just a blank panel with the generic "Brief Description" as text and no icon in the icon area. Am I mistaken? Pretty sure all I had to do before was remove the TechTree module and they worked well together.
Tried it with no other mods active, including CSD which I take it prompted the change.

To reiterate. EUI with any other mod, no problem. With no mods except CEP, problem.
With EUI, CEP & CSD or anything else, problem. Clearly our code is conflicting with EUI but not sure why or where.
I haven't got a copy of v14 anymore to compare so I can't see what was changed.

Next point.
The City-State display icon on the right side shows the civilization's icon it is allied with even if you haven't yet met that particular civ.
All the vanilla code in the Diplomacy panel or the notifications show either a (?) icon or some text describing "another civ", or such-like.
If you could get the City-State code to do similar it would be handy, though not a game-breaker. No rush for this one, just one of those minor tweaks.

our favorite term was "idiot proof" ... "stupid client" ... feeble understanding of the obvious
Don't be so hard on yourself :lol: (no offense intended;))
mouse over is a much more familiar term to most
OK, so mouse over it will be (updates instructions)
Modders don't sell what they do, they mostly do it for, well, call it "love" if you want...
I respectfully disagree. Once he does "publish" it, he has the unwritten obligation to make it user friendly
He can simply publish it for those who are able to use it as it is, there is no moral obligation here.
Modding is only a hobby: without finatial compensation, there cannot be any obligation, moral or otherwise. Yet it is amazing what attention & peer pressure can accomplish...
Using version 15 & CEP change to CityView.lua the popup for all the items shows just a blank panel with the generic "Brief Description" as text and no icon in the icon area
That was expected (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521776) until CEP includes ProductionPopup.xml in its distribution you will have to manually disable EUI's CityView module manually
The City-State display icon on the right side shows the civilization's icon it is allied with even if you haven't yet met that particular civ
That would be a bug, will look into it thanks

Modding is only a hobby: without finatial compensation, there cannot be any obligation, moral or otherwise. Yet it is amazing what attention & peer pressure can accomplish...

What is amazing is what the "entitlement generation" can come to expect...

Anyways... good work, as usual... but when are you going to make the city banner overlay optional???? I am waiting here! Enough time already! You owe me that change!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Using version 15 & CEP

Tried it with no other mods active, including CSD which I take it prompted the change.

:hide:

I didn't do anything I swear! (I cannot back this statement up with evidence)

Did you delete the cityview.lua file out of CSD's directory? Not doing that alone will cause problems with EUI.

Also, sorry you are getting flak from people for your excellent work, bc1. Some people just don't understand how much time goes into the work we do. We have no resources, no beta testers (well, we have them, we just call them 'subscribers'), no dev team, yet people expect speedy magic perfection. Blurgh.

I've received hundreds of rather unhappy messages over the years from people. You just have to ignore them.

@gazebo

No I'm not having a dig at you. Your work also is of the highest quality and should be considered by all as mandatory.
What I was referring too was the version history on the first page.
As my comment said, the "problem" occurred without CSD.

Version 1.15 (March 7th, 2014)
Fixed some bugs (including one that broke some custom maps)
Compatibility with City-State Diplomacy Mod (CSD) v21: should work provided you remove CSD's own CityView.lua from its ...\Assets\UI\InGame\CityView folder (EUI's CityView.lua is now compatible with CSD, the reverse is not true)
Compatibility with Civ IV Diplomacy Features Mod v10: should work provided you remove CDM's TopPanel.lua from its ...\UI\InGame folder (EUI's TopPanel.lua is now compatible with CDM, the reverse is not true)

As I didn't see any problems beforehand, and only upgraded EUI, I was just checking what in the change may have done it.
As it is, all this is a moot point as I have updated CEP to include the paired files bc1 suggested were needed to remove these teething troubles.
So ANYONE can now just install EUI, and have CEP (and CSD) loaded as mods and be assured that nothing will be missing.
Tried it last night and it is a very good combo. IMHO.

@bc1
Like gazebo said, you too have produced some excellent work here and the few vocal detractors will have no bearing on the standing you have on this forum.:king:

This is just awesome...great work bc1.

Im playing with CCTP atm and wonder if there is any chance at all to make EUI work with CCTP?
I know you made it work in CEP but I have no idea if this also is possible for CCTP.

@gazebo

No I'm not having a dig at you. Your work also is of the highest quality and should be considered by all as mandatory.
What I was referring too was the version history on the first page.
As my comment said, the "problem" occurred without CSD.

As I didn't see any problems beforehand, and only upgraded EUI, I was just checking what in the change may have done it.
As it is, all this is a moot point as I have updated CEP to include the paired files bc1 suggested were needed to remove these teething troubles.
So ANYONE can now just install EUI, and have CEP (and CSD) loaded as mods and be assured that nothing will be missing.
Tried it last night and it is a very good combo. IMHO.

@bc1
Like gazebo said, you too have produced some excellent work here and the few vocal detractors will have no bearing on the standing you have on this forum.:king:

No worries, I was just being coy. I too am currently running CEP, CSD and EUI - is a great collection of mods.

To keep this post tied to EUI, I love everything about this mod except for one thing: by the late game, when you've met all city-states and civs, having the diplo stuff on the same side as the notifications makes that side feel really cluttered, especially when the entire left side of the screen is left sad and empty. The scroll bar feels somewhat un-intuitive, and you get a bit of information overload.

One possibility might be to move the city-states over to the left side of the screen. That way players still have the wonderful at-a-glance view of all city-states, but the right side isn't as cluttered. The other option would be to move either the major civs (which wouldn't be terrible) or notifications (least favorite, as it would not be tied to the 'big button' at the bottom anymore).

You may have plans for this, or you may dislike the idea. Either way, just throwing it out there, as what good is feedback without a little constructive criticism? :D

Oh and one more thing: the 'hostile' 'guarded' 'neutral' etc. stance for civs is not indicated anywhere on the diplo 'bubbles' on the right side - their likes/dislikes are, but not their general stance. Or maybe it is and I'm just blind.

Edit: I'm becoming a blind old man. Reading over first post again highlights that color = stance. Of course.

Again, great work here. When I look at your code base, it makes me sad, as your elegant LUA makes my work look like I do this to my keyboard: :badcomp:

Cheers,
G

by the late game, when you've met all city-states and civs, the notifications side feel really cluttered
The solution i have in mind involves flagging things instead of some notifications, and removing or merging other less usefull ones. Lots of work, might not ever get done
the entire left side of the screen is left sad and empty
I have plans to make the left side usefull for running one's empire
is any chance at all to make EUI work with CCTP?
Anything is possible... it simply requires cooperation between modders

The solution i have in mind involves flagging things instead of some notifications, and removing or merging other less usefull ones. Lots of work, might not ever get done

I have plans to make the left side usefull for running one's empire

Anything is possible... it simply requires cooperation between modders

Sounds good. In the meantime, you might give players the option to enable/disable the minor civs on the diplo bar. It is, I imagine, slightly easier for the short-term than re-writing the entire notification lua.

Sorry if this is covered, but is there a way this DLC can be added to the DLC menu and be disablable from there? The reason I ask is for mods that it might not be compatible with (Faerun). The mod can disable incompatible DLC, but it is unable to do so if that DLC is not showing in the list (it seems).

Sorry if this is covered, but is there a way this DLC can be added to the DLC menu and be disablable from there? The reason I ask is for mods that it might not be compatible with (Faerun). The mod can disable incompatible DLC, but it is unable to do so if that DLC is not showing in the list (it seems).

The best way to deal with this is just to move EUI out of the DLC folder when playing faerun.

The best way to deal with this is just to move EUI out of the DLC folder when playing faerun.

Yeah, that's what i was doing - I was just hoping there was another option, since the faerun dev went through the effort of actively disabling all DLC already - it just doesn't work for this one.

It's not going to happen - only DLC with a Firaxis Key recognized by the game appear in the DLC manager list. Obviously EUI does not have a Key. And actually it's much better that way: for multiplayer any player can choose to use or not use, which is not the case for Firaxis keyed DLC's.
Cheers

Sounds good. In the meantime, you might give players the option to enable/disable the minor civs on the diplo bar. It is, I imagine, slightly easier for the short-term than re-writing the entire notification lua.

Things get specially hectic by late game when a Civ with 10 CS Allies declares war and you get a small circle for each one declaring war on the other CIV.

It's insane!

Cheers.

Top Bottom