Resource icon

Enhanced User Interface v1.29i

Could people please test the attached BETA version, especially with Communitas Mod and/or City State Diplomacy Mod and/or Civ IV Diplomacy Features Mod (requires a bit of labor, see OP for instructions) ?

Another significant change is that notifications are bundled by type (need to click to see bundled notifications), this aspect is also not quite complete.

Cheers

I hope it's not just user error of some sort, but while using this with the Communitas interface mode (but not CEP) the notification changes aren't working. Notifications work like vanilla.

I do have some other mods (infoaddict, colored religions, UI trade opportunities), too.

While I'm writing - excellent mod, thank you! I've been using since 1.15 and can't live without it now.

I hope it's not just user error of some sort, but while using this with the Communitas interface mode (but not CEP) the notification changes aren't working. Notifications work like vanilla.

I don't know if this is what you mean but I'm using beta 2 along with the newest communitas and the only notification problem I'm seeing is the before mentioned problem with border growth notifications that you can't click to bring you to the location.

\Skodkim

I don't know if this is what you mean but I'm using beta 2 along with the newest communitas and the only notification problem I'm seeing is the before mentioned problem with border growth notifications that you can't click to bring you to the location.

\Skodkim

Woops, should have been more specific. I'm using EUI 1.16 beta 2 (with tech tree disabled) and Communitas 3.16 (just CIT and CAT, although it may be 3.16.1).

None of my notifications are being bundled. I'll play around to see what combination matters.

Current EUI beta 2 & CEP v3.16 (not widely available as yet) are working just fine together.
The only notification issue I have is the already mentioned one of clicking on the button moves you to the previous notification site but the message is for the last one.

ie. Three CSs have messages, the notification button shows 3/3 messages with the last CS showing on the button. Clicking on the button moves the map to the 1st CS but it should move to the 3rd. The mouse-click should start the map movement cycle after the current message is shown. Or the combined notifications should end back on the first one, in this case the display would be 1/3 messages.

It is a bit clunky at the moment but vastly superior to the default Firaxis method.
Well done bc1.:goodjob:

The only notification issue I have is the already mentioned one of clicking on the button moves you to the previous notification site but the message is for the last one.

I see that too.

@ExpiredReign: Are you able to click border growth notification icons to bring you to the location?

\Skodkim

The notifications about your own cities seem to work perfectly.
City is starving, city borders have grown etc. all take you to the city that has the message shown.

The notifications about your own cities seem to work perfectly.
City is starving, city borders have grown etc. all take you to the city that has the message shown.

Weird. This do not work for me using beta 2 and CEP (built from newest New Features branch).

\Skodkim

You do have a LOT more other mods running than I do. Perhaps one of those is the culprit.

Am I able to force the regular full width/left aligned TopPanel? Splitting up important information and aligning some on the right where by default it's on the left looks ridiculous on a high resolution. It also causes overlay issues when IGE is installed.

So... if you start a game with no other mods, there is no effect at all from EUI? You don't see a different top panel (where happiness, gold, culture, research etc are summarized)?

To be honest, the most likely explanation is that you misunderstand something or missed something in the instructions. You do realize that EUI does not show up as a mod, and that you need to "in the game menu - options - interface options - UNcheck "single player score list" if you want to use the civilization ribbon", the main feature of EUI?

Hope you get it working because it helps a lot :)

I believe you missed something. My game doesn't even start when i put the folder in my dlc folder. My game crashes before it even goes to menu screen. Once i take it out i can load to the menu screen

My game crashes before it even goes to menu screen.
It works for lots of people. So what's different about your setup? Have you gone through "In case of problems" in post #2 of this thread? e.g., Is your game updated to the latest version?

It works for lots of people. So what's different about your setup? Have you gone through "In case of problems" in post #2 of this thread? e.g., Is your game updated to the latest version?

yes, my game autoupdates, i let it install every game update. I'm doing nothing different. Im putting the file in my dlc folder for the game. Once i remove the folder my game works fine

fixed it. it was something in my maps folder

Could people please test the attached v1.16 Release Candidate version.
  • Fixes bugs found in v1.15
  • Features new city queue mechanisms:
    • items may be added directly to production queue if not dimmed: left click = end of queue, ctrl + left click = top of queue, shift + left click = replace entire queue, right click = pedia
    • items may be purchased directly (e.g. great people), if the relevant purchase button (faith or gold) is displayed and not disabled (insufficient funds)
    • production queue items may be shuffled around by dragging (like in 1.15)
    • production queue may have more than 6 items, but the elevator is the only way to scroll the list (mouse scroll wheel does not work)
  • Notifications are bundled by type (need to click to see bundled notifications)

Cheers
border growth notifications that you can't click to bring you to the location
might be fixed in RC1
clicking on the button moves you to the previous notification site but the message is for the last one
fixed in RC1

Originally Posted by ExpiredReign
clicking on the button moves you to the previous notification site but the message is for the last one

Nah, sorry. Still present in this build.

Using your numbered notifications it goes like this:

Three CS messages appear with the last one being the one shown when you mouseover the icon "3/3 blah blah bla".
Clicking that takes you to the first message location and changes the text on the icon for the second. Clicking the icon now moves you to the second and changes the text to that of the third. Clicking that brings you back to where you began.

From here, now the CS is centred in the screen it doesn't appear too out of place, you can see that 'something' is happening at this location and the text tells you what to expect to see at the next.
The ideal method would be to have the mouse-click bring you to the CS and keep the message for that CS. The numbers will tell you there are other messages, so clicking then takes you to the next and the text matches that location.

None of my notifications are being bundled. I'll play around to see what combination matters.

I removed the mod cache, and removed/reinstalled both Communitas and EUI. Things started working again.

I replaced 1.16b2 with 1.16rc1 and it stopped bundling again.

Is there a requirement to remove the mod cache, or something else between versions? I looked around and couldn't find any such instructions. I can't help wondering why I seem to be the only one seeing this behavior!

Nah, sorry. Still present in this build. Using your numbered notifications it goes like this:
Three CS messages appear with the last one being the one shown when you mouseover the icon "3/3 blah blah bla".
Clicking that takes you to the first message location and changes the text on the icon for the second. Clicking the icon now moves you to the second and changes the text to that of the third. Clicking that brings you back to where you began.
In your example it should go like this:
Clicking that takes you to the FIRST message location and changes the text on the icon for the FIRST. Clicking the icon now moves you to the SECOND and changes the text to that of the SECOND etc...
Are you sure you are using RC1 ?
I removed the mod cache, and removed/reinstalled both Communitas and EUI. Things started working again. I replaced 1.16b2 with 1.16rc1 and it stopped bundling again.
Is there a requirement to remove the mod cache, or something else between versions? I looked around and couldn't find any such instructions. I can't help wondering why I seem to be the only one seeing this behavior!
:dunno: the only thing for notifications to be bundled with EUI is that the right vertical civilization ribbon is active (see OP for option settings)

Yes I am using the latest release candidate.
I think the problem is perhaps not the code but my perceived observations of what the code should do.

This an example in a game I started just to get the facts clear in my mind.

Three notifications appear:
1) 'You have met Kiev'
2) 'Kabul Targets Nearby Encampment
3) 'You have met Kabul'

The icon has the last message as the active one when you mouseover it, in this case about 'Kabul'.
As the message displayed speaks of 'Kabul' you would imagine clicking it would take you to that CS, it however changes to the 1st message and centres over 'Kiev'. This is exactly the way you have coded it, and that code works. The result however is strange, when you are not immediately centred over one of the messages, ie. on the first click. Afterward clicking the icon simply cycles through and you get the message applying to the location you are now at.

I guess the upshot of this is: you are correct the code in this release does work, and, I am somewhat correct in that the result isn't immediately indicative of the situation.

This is probably something that can't be resolved since the single mouseclick needs to do those two things together, cycle the messages AND centre the screen on the message. Changing the messages displayed would only unsync them once the screen has centred after the first mouseclick. I guess I'm expecting too much from, what is after all, a vastly improved interface than the one Firaxis offered.
The only way I could think to change this is to separate the mouseclicks with something like a left/right arrow overlay on top of the icon that changes the messages first, then clicking the icon takes you to the location of that message. That's probably too much for what are only minor messages.

Let's just chalk it up to user expectation/coder design mismatch.:D

Apologies if I added any angst.

The code that does the centering is Firaxis's (for the most part), and using data not exposed to Lua. For some notifications there is centering, for others there is not. So making the notification clicks work completely clean from user perspective would be too much code complexity for what it's worth. What I might do for public release is exclude from bundling all notifications which have centering (those that have popups are already excluded from bundling).
Thanks for testing this stuff... You might also want to try EUI without CEP's CityScreen & Production popup scripts, since this is the main focus of this EUI release.
Cheers

Top Bottom