Enhancing a captured religion with 1st GP

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by JimBobRedneck, Apr 24, 2016.

1. JimBobRedneck

JimBobRedneck Chieftain

So I just encountered a situation I've never seen since the ability to capture holy cities was added.

Austria and the Iroquois pinned me into a two-city corner early on, so I bum rushed Austria to make a little breathing room. About 4-5 turns before I was going to capture her capital, she popped a GP and founded the third religion of the game. The next turn, I popped my own GP. Quick check of her religion showed it wasn't too bad, so I figured I'd grab her's first and then enhance it. After marching my GP over to her capital after I secured it, I was disappointed to find that enhancing with the GP wasn't available. Bummer.

So I figured I'd ask the question: Now that we can "forcibly found" a religion, should the first GP you spawn be able to enhance it in a scenario like this (if that's possible, code-wise)? I can see that it might be a bit powerful of a strategy to get such a quick enhancement, but you do sacrifice customization by having to settle for what the AI picked.

2. Funak

Funak Deity

Prophets are tied to religions, meaning that you can only even enhance "your" religion, in short, a great prophet can only enhance Christianity if that prophet can spread Christianity, this is probably mostly to avoid players sniping AI great prophets and using them to found/enhance their own religion.
    You could have used your prophet to make a holy-site then used your next one to enhance your stolen religion.

3. JimBobRedneck

JimBobRedneck Chieftain

Yeah, I pretty much have the gist of the original design, but wanted to bring up the scenario as I don't remember anything like this talked about when the capturing holy city changes went in (or I may have just missed that part of the discussion). You do bring up another possibility as well: popping a GP while you're in the middle of changing your majority religion (spreading one you just captured/founded to overwrite one that had been spread to you, for example).

I don't think the current system is flawed per se, but thought this might be an interesting topic to discuss. Of course, that all really hinges on if it's even possible to override this behavior or if it's buried too deep.

I did end up using the GP for a Holy Site in the end.

4. Funak

Funak Deity

Here's the deal, the only time you'd be in that situation you're mentioning is if you're controlling both holycities for those religions, as you can't get a prophet unless you're controlling a holy-city (or if there is another religion left to be founded) and honestly I'm not sure if I see that situation actually happening.

That being said, getting a prophet to found your own religion, while you don't want one (for one reason or another) isn't exactly anything new, even back in Vanilla I've spent quite a few matches either settling a holy-site or founding a religion and instantly removing it with an inquisitor from a neighbors religion.

5. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

Was the capital the holy city? I think the GP has to be inside the holy city to enhance.

6. JimBobRedneck

JimBobRedneck Chieftain

It does, and it was.

It's not that the current functionality is broken or bugged. As Funak pointed out, it doesn't work because the GP in question was not flagged for the same religion as the one being enhanced (in this particular case, it was flagged for "no religion"). This was more a question of, if possible, would we want to allow for this as a valid strategy.

For example, say there's one religion left available and I pop a GP. Looking at the remaining belief choices and those already taken by my neighbors, it looks like a neighbor has a religion more in line with what I want. Would we want it to be a possible strategic choice to seek to conquer the neighboring holy city, taking an already established religion, with the payout of an early enhancement at the likely cost of not founding should I fail (someone will grab that last spot soon afterwards)?

The current functionality leading to using your GP for a holy site isn't bad, though it does sting just a little to do so (but only a little as a holy site is a pretty decent tile). After running into the scenario though, I thought it might make for a slightly interesting strategic choice to actively pursue, thus posing it to everyone else.

7. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

GPs have their religion set at birth. Location does not matter relative to that (unless you're founding, at which point they need to be in an owned city). This is a unit data element, and shouldn't be altered.

G

8. Lord Byte

Lord Byte Chieftain

Seems there's a bug, I also captured the holy city, let a GP appear, then chose "Enhance religion" (The prophet is Catholic, and according to the relgion page I'm head of the religion). Yet I cannot enhance the religion, it gives me the "found religion" page, in which I cannot actually select anything. Tried playing an automatic turn with firetuner but that just crashes the game...
    Without enhancing, no bloody Inquisitors :( And a broken religion.

Savegame attached, CPP installed full as a DLC, not a mod.

Attached Files:

9. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

This is an issue with the modpack. It does not happen in the normally-installed game.

G