Enhancing Civ4 interface

Discussion in 'Civ4 - SDK/Python' started by Dirk1302, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Hi all,

I have a general question about modding Civ4 but i think if a positive answer is possible it'll need Python or SDK so i'll post my question here. Feel free to move the thread if this is not the right place for this question.

I'm interested in enhancing the number of available shortcuts for doing things in Civ4, i'll give a few examples:

- It would be great if there was a command enabling you to move all units of one sort (tanks for instance) from all of your cities to one point on the map this would be a great help quickly gathering units for an attack without having to click every city to see if there are tanks. I know the rallypoint functionality helps a bit but it doesn't work for drafting, also you can't get existing units from one point to another. In a game like Galactic civilizations there is such functionality switching rally points for existing units. (and it's much needed there!).

-Personally i miss the functionality from civ3 (ctr-shift-G it was i believe) giving you the opportunity sending a unit to a specific city. The way it works now with the mouse is nice but i prefer to do simple movements only with keys it's much faster especially when the unit is far from a city.

-When having 20 tanks on one square it would be nice if you could force a simple popup menu where you can split the group in 2 groups one with 8, the other with 12 tanks for instance. I don't know of a better answer right now than clicking 8 of the 20 tanks which can get tedious with large stacks. I know you can predefine groups and give them a number but htere is often a constant need for regrouping so this doesn't help much.

This are just 3 examples, not that i blame Fireaxis, the interface is great generally and would become too complex otherwise. I'm a hardcore player though so i would welcome the opportunity of adding functionality to the
    interface.

So my question is: Is it at all possible to make the sort of changes i described above. If yes can you give me a hint which documentation i'll have to dive into, Python/SDK/ or other modding documentation. If no i'll leave it at that.

Thx in advance.

2. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Guess it's not possible then? Mind you i basically only want to know if it's possible so i'll know it's useful to invest time, you don't have to tell me how, i'll find out.

3. PeteT

PeteT Warlord

It's undoubtedly possible but, as an old friend of mine once said to me, "Don't even think about doing that unless you're being paid by the hour." :wink: