Enjoying 3.0.1 and some thoughts on food

Cruiser76

Warlord
I finally found time to update to 3.0.1 and it is working great! I really appreciate the work that has gone into this mod.

I've always thought that food (and thereby production and growth) was too abundant in this game. So I modded it so that citizens eat 3 food, and like settlers, all "outside" professions (e.g. pioneers, missionaries, militia, etc.,) require 30 food. I enjoy the game a lot more with these changes.

That's probably a good idea to keep that REF in check, too. I'll try it in my next game.

That's probably a good idea to keep that REF in check, too. I'll try it in my next game.
If you start by "Custom Game", there already is a Game Option for smaller REF.

That's funny, I did the exact same thing and found it very much improved as well. Unfortunately, by the time you get to 1700 or so, you're still going to be flooded with too many colonists to handle, especially if you've stacked +conversion or +religion founding fathers.

In-settlement fishing is rather overpowered, IMO. Particularly inland lakes. Toning them down would force building more farms/pastures.

That's funny, I did the exact same thing and found it very much improved as well. Unfortunately, by the time you get to 1700 or so, you're still going to be flooded with too many colonists to handle, especially if you've stacked +conversion or +religion founding fathers.

In-settlement fishing is rather overpowered, IMO. Particularly inland lakes. Toning them down would force building more farms/pastures.

Yep. It does help make the early game much more interesting and challenging, but like you said, eventually the immigrants and converts take over.

And yes, fishing is too powerful.

Bottom line to me is that food should be a struggle, especially in the early game. Read any account of the first colonizers and it was a struggle to survive.

I agree that fishing is too strong atm, toning down the yield of the expert fisherman would help a bit. I still think that ocean (non-coast adjacent water plots) yield too much food. Perhaps they should not even be workable by the population and require boats or at least a fishery improvement. It's weird to see the uber-productive one-tiles islands filled with expert fishermen produce several hundred food units :p

it seems that the concept of using boats to build nets to fish in the ocean was once voiced. I think after its implementation it will be possible to remove the food resource from the tiles of the ocean. thus, it will be possible to obtain food in the ocean only after the construction of nets by fishing boats.

it seems that the concept of using boats to build nets to fish in the ocean was once voiced. I think after its implementation it will be possible to remove the food resource from the tiles of the ocean. thus, it will be possible to obtain food in the ocean only after the construction of nets by fishing boats.
I think that is already implemented since RAR as a way to fish cods bonuses deep in the ocean. That works pretty similarly as whale fat except that it brings food.

I finally found time to update to 3.0.1 and it is working great! I really appreciate the work that has gone into this mod.

I've always thought that food (and thereby production and growth) was too abundant in this game. So I modded it so that citizens eat 3 food, and like settlers, all "outside" professions (e.g. pioneers, missionaries, militia, etc.,) require 30 food. I enjoy the game a lot more with these changes.
At the beginning of the game, one turn represents a year, then later it's only 6 months and in the end 3 months. Maybe the required food to get a new colonist should adapt accordingly? 100 at the beginning, 200 mid-game and 400 late game?

I like the idea about bringing food to units. It's all weird that units consume 2 foods when they are inside a city, but nothing outside of it. Maybe that could become a hassle if we would need to actually feed the giant army to fight the REF in the end of the game though.

We could still imagine that food would be required to survive in the wild, outside the borders. That would make exploration more challenging. For instance you give 100 food to your scout and every turn, he consumes 2 foods. Once he ran out of food, he loses 10% in strength and after 10 turns he dies, unless rescued by a boat or coming back within colonial borders.

I'm only brainstorming here obviously.

I think that is already implemented since RAR as a way to fish cods bonuses deep in the ocean. That works pretty similarly as whale fat except that it brings food.
yes, this has already been implemented. but I had a slightly different concept in mind. I don't remember who suggested it.

Top Bottom