Enlightenment Era in Civ6

Plymouth

Chieftain
To quote Sarah Darney, "hello civ fans!"

Recently, since the announcement of GS, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the future of Civ6 and possible major gameplay changes, either in a future expansion or, if possible, through mods. The other day, I was looking through mods from my old Civ5 game and remembered one of my personal favorites: the Enlightenment Era! This was a brilliantly-made collaboration by a lot of modding geniuses in the civ community, and essentially what it did was add another era to the tech tree between the Renaissance and Industrial eras. Due to my GS hype and general CIV VI processing mode, I began to wonder how or if something similar could work in CIV VI. The transition between Renaissance and Industrial still seems kind of awkward, especially considering the considerable gap between those periods by time in Earth's history.

So what do you all think? Is this something we need in CIV VI, or does the game service this well enough without a dedicated era? Were it implemented, what civics/technologies might it contain? The biggest difference between the situation in V and in VI is most likely the separation of the technology and civic trees, so may that make some difference as to the theoretical implementation of an Enlightenment Era? Note I'm not asking for a mod to be made here, I'm simply trying to figure what this might theoretically look like should the idea ever actually make it into the game.

I am strongly in favour of the Enlightenment Era.

There are plenty of stuff that can be added to it, especially great people.

For example, J.S. Bach, Voltaire, and Issac Newton don't belong in either the Renaissance or the Industrial Eras; the three belong in the Enlightenment Era.

iirc that mod is too much warfare-focused (still very good of course), while historically it was the time of such interesting events as scientific revolution, the start of agricultural revolution, first globalization, columbian exchange, energy revolution (mass use of peat in netherlands and coal in england), consumer revolution... and maybe a bunch of other revolutions. It was the time when the modern world was born.

I've long wanted the Enlightment Era in civ. The gap between Renaissance and Industrial is one the things that bother me most about the game, both in the gap between units as well as the look of cities, they go from culturally unique and colorful to blocks of grey with chimneys. Even if you are playing a western Civ is visually boring as heck, say you are playing France, you go from medieval looking cities to industrial...no Neoclassic architecture (because of the gap).

Besides so much happens between the rennaisance and Industrial eras, you could add colonization, the beginings of trading companies, sphere's of influence, national armies, revolutionary movements. Honestly the fact that gap has endured so long and that there are so many fan favorite civs left out gives me hope for another xpack that focuses heavily on a new Era.

I've long wanted the Enlightment Era in civ. The gap between Renaissance and Industrial is one the things that bother me most about the game, both in the gap between units as well as the look of cities, they go from culturally unique and colorful to blocks of grey with chimneys. Even if you are playing a western Civ is visually boring as heck, say you are playing France, you go from medieval looking cities to industrial...no Neoclassic architecture (because of the gap).

Besides so much happens between the rennaisance and Industrial eras, you could add colonization, the beginings of trading companies, sphere's of influence, national armies, revolutionary movements. Honestly the fact that gap has endured so long and that there are so many fan favorite civs left out gives me hope for another xpack that focuses heavily on a new Era.

Definitely. Now that you've said it, I could definitely see a whole expansion that would focus primarily on filling in the timeline with an era or two. The Enlightenment Era would be my most wanted new era, because there's a good 150 years of progress and technology that it totally skipped over in civ. The real life Renaissance Era was roughly 12th century to 17th century, while the Industrial Era began in the late 18th century. This odd missing piece warrants something new IMO.

Top Bottom