1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Enlightenment Era mod?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Sword_Of_Geddon, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Does anyone know if theres a mod that adds the Enlightenment Era(in between Renaissance and Industrial)? I would love to experience that time period more in depth and in a more historically accurate manner than civ5 presents.

Thankyou in advance.

2. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

I wouldn't mind a community tech tree overhaul. Enlightenment is a good inclusion, but adding the pre-history and future tech stuff is also worthwhile.

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Definitely.

I would also spruce up the existing eras, not incredibly so, but another row of techs for each maybe, more like Civ4.

4. spendabuck

spendabuck Chieftain

TPangolin was working on a project based on this idea a while back, but he has since abandoned the idea.

5. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Yeah, any time you start making major and essential changes to the tech tree you've just veered off into total-conversion territory, or you are bouncing against the walls that seperate total-conversion-mods from 'regular' mods. I know I would never want to take on such a thing.

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

Why not? Most Civ4 and Civ3 mods are like that. They are each modders take on what they would like the game to be.

7. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

As an aside, I wouldn't mind an Axial Age expansion of the tech tree, either.

8. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

In CIV5 people can, and often do, run dozens of mods at the same time: I've seen lists of mods some people are running all at the same time that were around or over 100 mods. Any time a mod makes essential changes to the tech tree, for example, other mods can begin to no longer function when both are enabled and used by the player at the same time. And no matter how careful you are in listing which mods are and are not compatible, people apparently cannot read, don't believe what you tell them, or never pay attention to such listings of mod compatibility.

As far as total-conversion mods go (or anything creeping towards total conversion) : it's just too much work to do it well.

9. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

An interesting idea, but Kathigitarkh LeeS is right. Reworking the tech tree like this would be very intrusive - not only technically, but balance-wise. It seems a bit late in Civ V modding to do something like this anyway - would probably take decades to complete...