Enrico Dandolo's leaderscreen speculation

Cooleatack

Chieftain
The leader of Venice, Enrico Dandolo, was a blind man. How are they going to put this in the leader screen? Is he going to face the wrong way? Will he get assistance? I can't imagine how this would be shown without leading to some controversy... How do you interact with a blind leader in the diplo screen? I mean gameplay wise it is no problem, and I am definetly not hating on blind people, but for diplomacy, it sure is a weird idea... Does anyone have any ideas on how they are going to do this, without making him look 'absent' or anything like that?

Are we forgetting the part about Dandolo where for most of his life he wasn't blind? I know he was Doge while he was blind, but that doesn't necessarily mean that will be how he is represented.

All the leaders in civ are dead, but that hasn't posed a problem so far ;)

Blind people often face the people they're talking with, because their ears usually work fine.

I seriously can't see this being any kind of issue. They'll just give him some really sharp looking sunglasses, amiright?

The name of this thread gave me hope that they had released said leaderscreen. Sigh.

Maybe he'll be wearing sunglasses with a cane and talk about his sack at Constantinople and peace out like Pacal in Civ IV

You do know that if you make a thread like this you're gonna make people think you actually have a picture of the leaderscreen, right?
At least put "speculation" into the title or post it in the Venice thread.

The name of this thread gave me hope that they had released said leaderscreen. Sigh.

I know. I had a mini heart-attack while scrolling through the forum. :lol:

I heard from a public broadcast message on the television that only a third of visually impaired people are totally blind, so he'd have a good idea if you are. Even if he was totally blind, he would have a good sense of hearing.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

I think the leaderscreen will be awesome if it's done right, and that's the only thing that matters. I wonder what he'll do when declaring war.

Blindness can only help to add some sinisterly... badassness (for lack of a better word) to Dandy, and I doubt it'll make a big difference in the leaderhead presentation.

Also hoped for his leaderhead official release and showing off, but no such luck.

Man, I was so excited when I saw the thread title.

I hope they base it on this. +5 Badass.

Spoiler :

Umm...there are captions and dialog text to select, right? There are no other interactions.

The leader of Venice, Enrico Dandolo, was a blind man.

Except that he wasn't "a blind man". His supposed blindness isn't even confirmed historically and we don't know wether he was blinded by one or both eyes, if he was. At that time he would have been almost 70, anyways.

All you have to do is animate him so he doesn't look directly at the player like all the other world leaders do, and you'll get the message across.

Except that he wasn't "a blind man". His supposed blindness isn't even confirmed historically and we don't know wether he was blinded by one or both eyes, if he was. At that time he would have been almost 70, anyways.

His bio on the leaked screenshots mention how he was blind, so that's apparently the version of history that Firaxis is going with.

If they chose to depict him during his alleged blindness, I think he will face the "camera" but not directly look at it with his eyes. Depicting him a la Askia in front of a burning Constantinople would be awesome, but I think it will be in Venice.

My bets:

In Piazza San Marco facing the church.
In a more generic place with the sea behind him and a lot of gondolas.
In a more generic place inside the city, with lots of buildings and a river behind him, with some gondolas.

yeah but he became Doge an old and blind man, so his leaderscreen should be showing him blind, I'm only wondering how they're going to do that whilst making it look right and Keeping the leederscreen cool

If he's depicted as blind, he'll probably have his eyes somewhat closed and be looking slightly away or down. I don't think it'll be because he doesn't know where you are (in my experience blind people generally do), though.

I'm expecting that while he's generally facing you, he won't be exactly looking at you the way someone who isn't blind would. As others hinted, most blind people can hear and their other senses are usually fine (unless if they're really unlucky like Helen Keller or something), so Dandolo should be depicted as sort of knowing where you are. Instead of having obvious displays of blindness like looking in the opposite direction or tripping over things, the leader screen should have subtle hints - he's looking at you but the angle's a little bit off, he hesitates a bit when he tries to look in your direction, he doesn't move his eyes or face in a way that a normal person would when talking, etc.

I'm expecting that while he's generally facing you, he won't be exactly looking at you the way someone who isn't blind would. As others hinted, most blind people can hear and their other senses are usually fine (unless if they're really unlucky like Helen Keller or something), so Dandolo should be depicted as sort of knowing where you are. Instead of having obvious displays of blindness like looking in the opposite direction or tripping over things, the leader screen should have subtle hints - he's looking at you but the angle's a little bit off, he hesitates a bit when he tries to look in your direction, he doesn't move his eyes or face in a way that a normal person would when talking, etc.

Top Bottom