Enrico Dandolo's leaderscreen speculation

I figure they'll have him looking slightly off prograde, and maybe throw in something about how he's blind but he can still see how much of a butthole you are and stuff.

It's obeying the laws of the universe just like the next guy. There's nothing wrong with that.

Hitler. There, I fixed this thread breaking one of them.

I'm seeing a little hate growing in here. I'm only speculating on how he would be depicted on the leaderscreen right, as in showing the fact that he was blind, but not making that look weird, becouse he was a very vital leader even at his age. You should be able to understand this, and not go into a "Omg u hatin' on blind people" mode, becouse that's not what I'm doing. I just really want Firaxis to make him look awesome, and that he Was a blind leader actually makes him more awesome, and that should be shown in the leaderscreen. The speculation is about how that would be done at best.

As someone who's been around blind people for a large part of his life, it's not that hard to show that someone's blind without them looking the wrong way (which would be ridiculous, they still have ears) - blind people often develop minor tics like nodding their head or move in other slightly "off" ways (think Ray Charles). This wouldn't be hard to combine with some crochety old man movements as well - and elderly, blind, crusading Dandalo is definitely the most interesting age for him to be portrayed, imo.

Yeah, pretty much. People thinking that he would look in completely the wrong direction probably haven't been around blind people. Ray Charles is a good example. Think of the movie Ray, especially early scenes where he wasn't wearing sunglasses.

That being said, it's subtle so it's possible Firaxis won't try to capture it because it would be too difficult.

Yeah, I think Firaxis will choose to depict him in his most colorful state. At least I hope so.

"Blind old man preaching the crusade" definitely beats "yet another dude calmly standing in front of distinct architecture." Think about how they chose to depict Harald, Askia, and Genghis Khan.

They won't pass up a chance like this.

I think the best way to explore his condition on the leaderscreen is to make him constantly staring at the horizon (kinda like Augustus Ceasar, but in any moment looking directly to the player) not because he can't find you, but rather because there is no use in looking at you. It would also be cool if he had some sort of kane (I don't know if he had one historicaly), but really using it to support himself, unlike the Sweden's leaderscreen.

His background screen should totally be something along the lines of this:

With him standing in the foreground laughing evilly in order to demonstrate what a magnificent bastard he was (looking slightly away from the viewer, of course- I really don't think it's going to be offensive to the blind to depict a blind person as being blind. If anything, it'll be offensive not to).

Whatever it is - and I doubt, unfortunately, it will be as impressive as that magnificent battle taking place in the post above me - I will be highly surprised if it doesn't involve water and a boat.

He could be on the boat, he could be in front of the boat, he could be overlooking the boat - there'll be a boat.

Whatever it is - and I doubt, unfortunately, it will be as impressive as that magnificent battle taking place in the post above me - I will be highly surprised if it doesn't involve water and a boat.

He could be on the boat, he could be in front of the boat, he could be overlooking the boat - there'll be a boat.

The Doge's Palace overlooks the water. Maybe he is standing inside one of the arcades with a boat in the background, although that would be very similar to Maria I. I suspect they will put gondolas in the background since that stereotypes Venice.

I feel like you'll see Venice's architecture just because it looks cool and isn't really represented in their traits.

"Preaching the Crusade" seems more likely than "Taking Constantinople", given that the icon doesn't depict him in crusader gear.

It's difficult to gauge much from the background of his icon, but I'd expect his setting to be in Venice - as impressive as the sack of Constantinople would be, it might look a little odd if Theodora were in the game!

Hopefully he'll be on a galleass, though.

It's difficult to gauge much from the background of his icon, but I'd expect his setting to be in Venice - as impressive as the sack of Constantinople would be, it might look a little odd if Theodora were in the game!

Hopefully he'll be on a galleass, though.

If by odd you mean humorous, yes. She's on her couch in the palace and he's storming the gates. Has anyone told her yet? Shouldn't she be packing? I love the implications.

If by odd you mean humorous, yes. She's on her couch in the palace and he's storming the gates. Has anyone told her yet? Shouldn't she be packing? I love the implications.

I meant 'immersion-breaking' more than 'humorous', although I have to admit it would be pretty funny.

It does make me wonder if the next level for leader screens in Civ VI will involve the backgrounds changing... so if Constantinople is being attacked in the game, Theodora's lovely view is spoiled by an angry mob and pillars of smoke :lol:

I meant 'immersion-breaking' more than 'humorous', although I have to admit it would be pretty funny.

It does make me wonder if the next level for leader screens in Civ VI will involve the backgrounds changing... so if Constantinople is being attacked in the game, Theodora's lovely view is spoiled by an angry mob and pillars of smoke :lol:

What about Askia? If he's being attacked, is everything behind him prosperous and unharmed? :p

What about Askia? If he's being attacked, is everything behind him prosperous and unharmed? :p

Yeah, I admit it doesn't really work for Askia's current leader screen ;)

What if you have the Mosque of Djenné and Askia is in the game. Can you say "hey, stop burning my wonder!"?

The funny thing is that Enrico Dandolo is a Great General. So he'll be fighting Belisarius (who is also a general in Civ V and of the Byzantine Empire and lived at the same time as Theodora) on the steppes of Constantinople. Oh yeah, and by that time, the Naimans were conquered by Genghis Khan. And Wu Zetian denounced Genghis Khan. Same as Sejong. Oh wait, Oda Nobunaga conquered Korea already. Nevermind then.

Top Bottom