1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the new Arabia

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by The_CatSnack, Jun 29, 2013.

1. The_CatSnack

The_CatSnack Chieftain

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

I like it :) The new trading system will be heaps of fun to play with but for anyone in the know I do have a question: Do trade caravans only refer to land based trade routes? Or does the Arabian UA refer to both caravans AND cargo ships?

2. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

I bet the Ottomans were adjusted to have an equal ability for cargo ships.

3. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I will add the double Oil back in for them :p

4. bdporter

bdporter Emperor

It refers to just the caravans. I also think it would be nice for another old civ to have a bonus to cargo ships.

5. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Maybe England? They did have trade routes going half way around the world...

6. GustavAdolf270

GustavAdolf270 Chieftain

DUTCH! DUTCH! DUTCH! In case you don't understand my point I think the Netherlands should get this ability- perhaps 25% range boost? Their UA needs to be boosted a bit. along with the retained happiness bonus the Netherlands and Arabia would be similar (bazaar) but each having a unique flavor

7. bdporter

bdporter Emperor

I'm leaning more towards the Dutch because England doesn't really need changes with the extra spy.

8. Sikandar

Sikandar Chieftain

Good. The fact that oil was part of their UA was a little disappointing in the first place given the historical breadth of Arabian civilization and the choice of the devs to highlight something that's only been important (in that region) in the last sixty-or-so years.

9. Ikael

Ikael Chieftain

Is this a confirmed information or suggestion / speculation? Because if it is the first, HELL YEAH, I say. Not to mention that it is very similar to some of my suggestions :D

And yes, the Dutch ought to see their UA revamped too due to the new trade mechanics, seriously. Some ideas for it!:

East India company:
    Naval trade routes have an increased 25% radious
    +25% gold yield to trade routes with CS, +50% if they are allied CS

This way you would archieve two things:
    - Representing the naval prowess of the Dutch empire trought history
    - Putting the Dutch in a collision course against Portugal as it happened in the real life, both martime empires competing in order to control strategic trade routes and control of city states

10. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat Chieftain

Confirmation? (excuse my ignorance)

If this is confirmed, I had almost the exact same idea. And if this is the standard for "minor" changes, then there is yet hope for India.

11. Triskelli

Triskelli Chieftain

This was mentioned explicitly in the Civil War scenario stream the other day.

Overall I think this is an interesting change, not enough civs have bonuses to passive religious spread and longer caravan routes makes for more cities to choose from and possibly more gold.

12. CleverFool

CleverFool Chieftain

I think it is quite fitting as Arabia was a trade node both before and after the rise of Islam. And because I'm all about synergy, I think it falls in line with their UB, which is fantastic, and Desert Folklore, which is a Pantheon they are often able to take advantage of.

I could definitely see a huge benefit of either choosing Just War and spreading it to a nearby Civ, or maybe Religious Unity if the effects apply there as well?

13. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

Probably beliefs to spread religion were adjusted as well, coupled with desert folklore, Arabia should be able to spread its religion like wildfire, while making gold at the same time, sounds much more fun.

14. Yzman

Yzman Chieftain

I understand you can play the game any way you choose but I see you do this for numerous changes... Why do you always say you are going to do changes before even trying the new mechanics? What if they are horribly overpowered with both of those?

They already said what India's changes were in the same video. India now gets tourism instead of gold from their UB.

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Does this replace the old ability or supplement it?

16. Rajjah

Rajjah PUG

It replaces it or so I was lead to believe

17. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

The Civil War video? Can we get a link and the time in the video that this was stated?

If this is true, then that's fantastic! They said that Arabia and a few others wouldn't get completely overhauled. If this isn't completely overhauled, then hot-damn! Imagine the possibility for the other ones that are getting these 'minor' changes. Perhaps, now, India can get the UA it deserves (Though, I imagine that it will still have something to do with population growth/happiness).

18. Byzantine Bomb

Byzantine Bomb Chieftain

The Arabian late game has been drastically changed now. No more double the oil to amass a huge military or trade off to warring parties for cash/resources. Now it's a diplomatic I think they'll do better seeking than a domination.

19. Ikael

Ikael Chieftain

This are great, HUGE news, really. This fundamentally changes Arabia, if this is not "fully overhauled", welp, consider me impressed. Which could be next? My bets are on the Dutch and India, with Germany, the Ottomans and Japan as well if we get lucky.

Also: I totally called it! Well, almost :p

20. Yzman

Yzman Chieftain

India's UB was only changed. Its unlikely that any of those others are changing.