1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Entire world just allied and declared war on me with a Betrayal Emergency

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Pietato, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Chieftain

Similar thing happened in my game.
    Netherlands declared war on me which cased all my allies declare war on them then there was joint war from remaining two. I laughed when I looked the diplomacy screen.

2. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

I might have one. Not sure if I actually manually saved around then, but there should be something close. I tend to rely on the autosaves a lot.

I was going for a science victory as Mali, and it was late game. So I quickly researched Robotics and bought 6 Giant Death Robots...

On a related note: the Nobel Prize for Physics is extremely overpowered. It gives you +1 uranium for every uni you have.

3. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

Yes! Just yesterday I had an emergency where a few of the AIs and I declared war on Brazil because he took Yerevan. After I was done pillaging his cities I looked down at Yerevan to find that Poundmaker, who was on the other continent, had moved an army across the sea and liberated Yerevan all by himself. I was floored. I have never seen the AI behave like this before in joint wars / emergencies Pre-GS.

I also felt horrible that I got 1st and Poundmaker got 2nd place to me in that emergency, because he literally did all of the work and I just got contribution points for pillaging Brazil....which probably shouldn't happen lol.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Kjimmet, Haig, Pietato and 2 others like this.
  4. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

Are these super coalitions a new thing? I don't recall it happening in R&F, but I admittedly never played much of that DLC.

5. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Yeah, it happens through the World Congress. So they all voted for it.

Updated the OP for clarity.

6. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Oddly enough a new emergency will overwrite earlier emergencies. I had civs that had declared war on me through one emergency reset to peace when they voted for another emergency that I also voted for.
    Normally you can't get a peace deal before the emergency has run it's course.

7. kzcosme

kzcosme Chieftain

I had an emperor game (small maps) where Cleo declared a surprise war at me and my ally Mansa Musa. Soon Cyrus joined her and Kristina/Pedro joined us.

Never saw a world war before. Cleo was wiped out and Cyrus became a North Korea of sorts.

Red_warning likes this.
  8. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I've noticed the ai has improved, and does things that are practical now. Liberating more is one if them. CS's upgrade all the time now. I watched Mexico City raze three or four Canadien cities in a recent game - both shocking and funny as hell.

acluewithout likes this.
  9. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Awesome... now, I'm going to HAVE to play at least a game as a dirty backstabber snot !!!

That's the kind of twist we hoped the World Congress could bring about...even if it was probably way too late in your game, still awesome to me ;-)

10. agonistes

Who are you going to play as?

11. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

hmmmm... good question that !!! Now, who's the most annoying snot AI leader in the game, heh ??? Is it Genghis ? Or am I going for backstabber ? That would be ALEX ??? Catherine ? Cyrus ? Not Monty, too easy...

Yeah... Alex to me is the most annoying snot EVER ;-)

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

This rubs me the wrong way on several levels:

• It was not the player that refused to renew alliance, but the AI
    • Regardless, these nations were no longer allied! This situation demonstrates that auto-alliance expiration is questionable.
    • Nation in question was threatening to remove cities from player's empire --> this has zero diplomatic consequences?
    If the player is solidly winning the game, I can accept the AI behavior as a pretense to cut the player down a notch. If the player is not or especially if the "defender" is the stronger nation, this behavior is regressive garbage, so context matters.

As it behaves right now, this mechanic is dishonest and results in internally inconsistent behavior.

13. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

America refused even friendship, though we were previously nearly max alliance. They still held a grudge against me for conquering their CS, which had split my cities with its 6th and 7th (!!) ring tiles. But the positive points far outweighed the negative.

I was currently 3rd in Science Victory, as the Cree and Aus on the other continent had launched before me (Huge Continents). I was first in Culture Victory thanks to my rockbands spamming for gold, religion, and trying to get the indie promotion.

When the vote came, I was intrigued, so did not vote heavily against it. I was amazed when my 3 remaining allies, Brazil, Sumeria and dirty Aus voted for it. Especially Sumeria, who had zero grievances with me.

14. agonistes

I see it this way: Teddy did the smart thing, refusing to renew the alliance to get some cities (who forward settled whom here?). Player dows, maybe understandably - gotta save those cities. Teddy didn't dow, player did. Emergency is called, and players allies are like, 'this dick doesn't respect relationships, and is clearly a war pig who could betray us at any time, so let's deal with him now.'

I see it as good decision making, and justifiable.

King Rad and acluewithout like this.
  15. agonistes

I can't prove it (maybe my chief researcher @Victoria can), but I'm certain there are relationship modifiers we don't see. I don't necessarily mean a straight + or -.

For example, if you dow early, the remainder of the game is more likely to be an aggresive one. An envoy race, regardless imof agendas, will cause friction. So will having a small military, forward settling, scout squatting, and buying gp's with gold (not sure about buying them with faith).

edit: @acluewithout yea, went simething like this: Canada was one of the larger empires, north of my turkish empire, and stretching from above me far to the east. I had a northern high production city kind of isolated, with Mexico City just NW of it. Canada was playing an aggresive game with religion, and at war with Egypt frequently.

So Canada drops a city almost right on my borthern border, then dows my ally egypt. I am drawn in. Mexico is my CS. I mobilize. Bang, I see a Canadian city vanish. Wth? The new city starts flipping. Bang, nother Canadian vanishes. Then again. These weren't cities surrounding Mexico... Mexico was pushing east taking city after city. In one war. It was scary fast. Who would have thought a cs could make Persia look slow.

Eventually the forward city flipped to me, and I renamed it Constantinople. All plain hills, two volcanoes, three diamonds, iron (and later coal). Pretty sweet.

Even later Canada and I entered an alliance - another sign the ai is smarter.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  16. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

There is certainly hidden relationship modifiers. At least the symptoms are all there.

17. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Must be me conquering the CS he had 17 envoys in...

In my defense, it had 7th ring tiles right by my cities, thanks to his envoy spam and freeing it from Rome. The cities of mine that were flipping for former Roman ones, which were taken when I joined Teddy in a joint war he offered.

Victoria likes this.
  18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Well that’s a lot faster than My secret agent murdering them all

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

If it were justifiable, you would see it done in competitive MP games where the civs are trying to reach a VC. I assert that this outcome would be exceedingly rare in MP for numerous reasons, and that such a dogpile would only occur if nation declaring were leading.

You could just easily make a case that refusing to re-up a cultural alliance and pressuring cities is a betrayal, yet for some reason this doesn't count for anything at all, nor does breaking the alliance in the first place. That's not a coherent implementation.

20. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

Poor AI , even when it makes a smart move , we complain :)