[GS] Entire world just allied and declared war on me with a Betrayal Emergency

Poor AI , even when it makes a smart move , we complain :)

Claiming a move is smart doesn't make it smart. OP doesn't even provide sufficient context to make such a judgment. In this scenario, the nation being attacked can easily be the one nearest to winning the game. Dogpiling its attacker is overt gamethrowing in such a case.

If neither attacker/defender are leading a worldwide dogpile still doesn't make sense, you'd expect opportunistic DoWs by nations that stand to benefit.

If it were justifiable, you would see it done in competitive MP games where the civs are trying to reach a VC. I assert that this outcome would be exceedingly rare in MP for numerous reasons, and that such a dogpile would only occur if nation declaring were leading.

You could just easily make a case that refusing to re-up a cultural alliance and pressuring cities is a betrayal, yet for some reason this doesn't count for anything at all, nor does breaking the alliance in the first place. That's not a coherent implementation.

It does count. An alliance has a positive modifier to the relationship. Not having it means less positive modifiers. It also means you can dow.

And justifiable is not the same as optimal.

Why would you only expect it if the dowing team were leading? That doesn't make sense...

Last edited:
It does count. An alliance has a positive modifier to the relationship. Not having it means less positive modifiers. It also means you can dow.

Yes, you can DoW. Implies no "betrayal", as there is no alliance and no breaking of a treaty. In this case player not only didn't break treaty, but wanted the alliance to remain intact. It was only after the other civ started pressuring cities offensively that player declared. That this is considered a "betrayal" by the betrayed party is nonsense.

Why would you only expect it if the dowing team were leading? That doesn't make sense...

Because if the defender is leading, helping the defender win is game throwing. If neither are leading it's neutral/depends on who really benefits.

I had some funny experience with betrayal emergency. I backstabbed Canada, and all of the world including my allies dogpiled on me just like what happened to OP.

I reloaded the game and tried bribing my allies to join the war. Maori agreed. This time, two betrayal emergency votes came up for me and Maori backstabbing. I voted yes to punish Maori. Apparently, both emergency war declaration happened sequentially so my allies were all broken but I'm at peace with them and everyone was at war with Maori.

After some turns, Canada denounced me and declared a formal war on me. And one of my former allies declared a surprise war on me. Maybe because the emergency was still ongoing?

Last edited:
Yeah, I got a betrayal emergency when I declared war on a neighbor who I'd allied with a couple of ages ago--literally hundreds of years ago in-game--and even my new allies turned on me.

They weren't any threat because I was solidly winning the game and they were mostly far away/on other continents, but it was slightly annoying because I lost all my alliance-buffed trade routes. This is a bit annoying to me when a neighbor won't renew an alliance, apparently they're also off-limits for war for the whole game at that point. Not a big deal though.

The mechanic is a bit weird.
I declared a formal joint war against my ex-ally China with my new ally Georgia.
Next turn “Betrayal Emergency”. As expected.
The world joined the emergency including my ex-new ally Georgia.
Meanwhile all of the others were fighting Japan because of a free city state emergency.
This is really weird and confusing

I hate how bitter enemies will put aside 5000 years of warfare just because I backstabbed one gut who had it coming ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET.

Did the axis powers flip on Germany when it broke its non aggression pact with the ussr?

World peace should not come about because of a betrayal. Betrayal should bew hard to get away with, but ir shouldn't be like the alien invasion in Independence Day... unless we can blow up all the worlds monuments

If you were Allied then attacked the guy, no wonder the whole world decided you were fair game.

In another life I was "on the road" in the US, UK and some parts of Europe. I can safely say you have to travel 100's of miles before the US accent changes, but from one town in England to another, accents can become unintelligible if you're not careful. I like the Burnley accent, its chubby!

Of course as a Londoner, I have no accent. This IS English!! :D

Top Bottom