1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Environmental: Rules Options

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Dec 23, 2005.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

We need to choose custom rules, if any will be used. Here is a composite screenshot.

As for map options, only certain options actually make sense for a democracy game. The ony options I would recommend to be included in a poll are:
    • No Cheating
    • Random Personalities, if we want to discover each AI's tendencies instead of knowing how they will act. This increases the difficulty level.
    • Aggressive AI, but only if we want a bloodbath conquest.
    We should definitely not use:
    • Raging Barbarians (they are quite sufficient as normal barbs)
    • No Tech Trading (if you fall behind, you lose -- though it does stop the AI from trading techs too, so guarantees a win if you're ahead)
    • No City Flip from Culture (culture flipping is fun)
    • New Random Seed (we don't want to allow reloading to result in different combat results)
    • Always War / Always Peace / One-City Challenge (if you want a variant, play a SG. maybe we can try these in a later game)
    Toss-up options (in my opinion)
    • No city razing (sometimes you want to raze instead of being saddled with an unproductive city)
    • City flip after conquest (flips on = more difficult, flips off = potentially less fun)
    • No barbs (they really do add spice to the game, have never tried a game without them)
    • Permanent war / peace (we could custom design a game with one or more civs we can't declare war on)

2. DaveShack

Oops -- wrong browser window. :blush: I'll ask a mod to move this to the citizens forum. In the meantime there is not supposed to be a poll, please discuss. :)

3. 5star_US

5star_US Chieftain

I would recommend random personalities? May I ask what no-cheating is?

4. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

No Raizeing, RAgeing Barbs, Permanent Alliances. All of the rest can be blank

5. DaveShack

The no-cheating option prevents the game from being loaded in world builder after it starts, and use of the cheat code and debug capabilities.

6. Pie-es-Tasty

Pie-es-Tasty Comrade

No Cheating, Random Personalities. Other than that all off. I'm in the "As close as possible to a normal game for the first Demogame" camp. Although Random Personalities will make is much more interesting (No more automatic super military buildups if you end up with Montezuma on your border).

7. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

Really? I conquered the Aztecs pretty easily, which I cannot say for the Japanese.

8. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I would vote for No Cheating, abstain on Random Personalities and vote against other options.

If you setup a poll later, please don't do a simple multi-select poll since people like me may want to abstain on certain settings.

9. Pie-es-Tasty

Pie-es-Tasty Comrade

Well yeah, I did too, but it's not the ease of conquering, it's how likely he is to invade, even with a pathetic army.

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Only No Cheating! Leave all the others blank!

This is our very first demogame in Civ4, and it would be nice if it was as standard as possible.

11. loveandpolitics

loveandpolitics Chieftain

What's the point of no cheating if we don't intend to cheat? lol. City flips after conquest...more realistic.

12. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

I think we should allow tech trading, as if say we get far ahead then we'll be fairly likely to win which could happen early on while in the same way if we get far behind there is a high likelyhood we'd lose. if we allowed tech trading would bring more fun to the game in the long run.

13. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

What does "City flips after conquest" actually do? I know about cities flipping, but what does it mean in context of "after conquest"?

14. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

That a city is able to flip back to its original owner after conquest. If this is not selected a conquered city can flip to any civilization except its original owner.

-the Wolf

15. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: The "No Cheating" and "Admin Password" option will be standard fixtures in demogames. That way, no one can cheat, or use an in-game cheating util.

Choose Raging Barbs. You'll love it. Just don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere like I did one game. :mischief: (a.k.a., 22 barb warriors attacking!).

16. GrendelS

GrendelS civ addict beyond remedy

I'm also in the "as close as possible to a standard game" camp, no cheating&random personalities, of course ;-)