1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

EPA Disorder

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by lqwertyp, Jun 11, 2017.

?

Favourite government choices (pick 3)

Poll closed Sep 11, 2017.
  1. Oligarchy

34.0%
  2. Autocracy

14.0%
  3. Classical Republic

36.0%
  4. Monarchy

18.0%
  5. Theocracy

16.0%
  6. Merchant Republic

66.0%
  7. Democracy

40.0%
  8. Fascism

6.0%
  9. Communism

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lqwertyp

lqwertyp Chieftain

Hello guys!

I played over 300 hours now and it occurs to me that in almost every game I suffer from economic policy addiction Disorder. I eventually end up picking the government that gives the most economic policy card slots because the bonusses are the best imho.
    Because I wanted to try something else I went for a religion and use the theocracy government to faith buy units but still I missed the economic policy slots so much I eventually go for merchant republic and later democracy again.

I play immortal most of the time so the 100% extra output bonusses and the builder policy card are just too good when catching up, no matter what victory condition I go for.
    The legacy bonusses usually come too late to be of influence on my choice because of the techpace.

Is anyone using other govs in mid and late game than the ones that give most economic policy slots? And are there any players completely doing something else? And Why?

Thanks for your replies!

Edit: can a mod please put this thread in the strategy section? Thanks in advance!

Leyrann likes this.
  2. Photi

Photi Governor

at king or emporer, it seems like classical republic is the way i usually go. in general at those levels great people are more likely in the early game so adding points helps with that. at immortal or deity, i usually go for oligarchy for the melee and xp boosts. i have been wanting to build more wonders lately, so autocracy seems like a good choice, but tbh +10% to wonder production seems kind of light, but paired up with the wonder card could be significant.

later in the game, it seems like it is always merchant republic forever and then democracy. part of that is because those two governements are close in the civics tree to other things i am pursuing, but then again they are decent in their own right. if i want to up my diplomacy game though i should be aware of the other governments. get the first wave of allies, and by the time they are sucked into your orbit, switch to other governments to bring others under alliance.

i don't seem to swap out governments much unless its to improve the number of policy slots available. the legacy bonuses are pretty good if you stay in one government for long enough.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

If I'm going faith-heavy, then I've used Theocracy quite effectively. If you're generating faith, I think it could very clearly beat Merchant Republic. I mean, there are a few military slots that are worth it:
    --1/-2 gold per unit is only a little bit worse than an "average" economy policy, and can be better if you have a large army
    -+1 amenity per garrisoned unit is actually a really strong policy overall, since that extra +1 can either let you build cities bigger, survive a bit more war weariness, or push you to be happy giving +5% to all yields. And all you need to do is buy a scout or a spearman to hold in each of your cities, which you don't even pay maintenance for most of the time
    -+1 movement in friendly territory can be pretty solid overall as well. Even sometimes just being able to get that extra move for your builders can be worth it, or if the extra move lets your artillery move+shoot.
    -+4 combat strength against other religions I find in most cases is basically a flat +4 combat bonus, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus the 50% gold reduction on upgrades always needs to be swapped in when you want to upgrade your troops, I find having a couple military policies really isn't a bad thing. I do miss the economic policies, for sure, and if I'm not building a faith-based economy will almost certainly go with merchant republic. Or if I'm getting great production, then sometimes I can afford one of the other governments if I know that I can whip out some of the wonders giving extra policy slots.

4. rschissler

rschissler King

I usually play Russia and once I get to Theocracy, I stay there to buy units with faith.

5. lqwertyp

lqwertyp Chieftain

Thanks for the input guys!

I must say i'm really curious why people choose other governments than I did ;)

6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

First tier: I use Oligarchy if I see a need to use it - e.g. aggressive neighbors or lots of barbs or when I already know I want to conquer a lot. Otherwise I choose Classical Republic, even when I often use the wildcard slot for military policies in that case. Almost never Autocracy - I like the diplomacy slots very much, especially in the beginning, even when it sometimes doesn't make that much a difference. And I think I build more wonders in the mid-game than the early game, save the Pyramids.
    Second tier: If I end up with Monarchy first researched, I may use it a short time (also to get the eureka). In most games, I have a religion and/or quite some holy sites, so Theocracy seems to be the best choice. I'm okay with one wildcard slot and usually can use two good cards in the military. Buying units with faith seems so easy and is so helpful in my usual play style that avoids hard building units after the early game. If you can suzerain Valetta or have Jesuit Education, all the better. Merchant Republic is my choice if I don't have much faith generation. If I want to buy many things with money, I usually have lots of Commercial Hubs and Harbors though, so I don't really 'need' the two extra trade routes (but they are welcome anyway). Maybe I should try to use this government and not go too much into CHs, to get more out of the discount and the free trade routes.
    Third tier: This really depends how the game went up until this point and what I'm going for. Did I build any of the card wonders (often have Potala Palace or Forbidden City)? Does it seem likely that I will buy many GP in the future? Do I even need GP, or is bonus production better? But I rarely use Fascism. And I often don't do projects.

Leyrann likes this.
  7. AJ22PIZZA

AJ22PIZZA Chieftain

Out of the late game governments I'd say communism is my favorite. It has the 3 military cards to help in my late game expansion and the 3 economic as they are the best cards. I also like the production boost as there is always something to build.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I'm playing culture rush games ATM and playing ways to really strip it back to basics to speed it up.
    Using just a few commercial hubs and boosting with merchant confederation the extra traders allow for full civ coverage and the extra money from merchant confederation and other cards allows over 100 GPT to still be able to buy things. I never go to tier 3 due to trader loss.

Merchant confederation also provides a small -2 different governments cost.

9. Photi

Photi Governor

unless i am misunderstanding, you may want to check this, just tonight i received -17 from Kongo for different governments. They were fascists, my side merchant republic

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Lucky you were not a Monarchy or you would have been -23

The whole different government modifier is a bit odd, I have been looking at it for a while

The normal is at the two government values together... unless you have a government agenda like Kongo does where it is a lot higher. There seems to be a random chance it will be one or two points less than this. I guess this is not the thread for discussion on this but Classic Republic has a value of 1, merchant republic 2. Democracy 3. These are the "get along best" governments.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  11. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Its too objective and civ dependent for me. To vote I mean.

12. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

I agree with the OP and generally choose Classical Republic and Merchant Republic. Then it's usually Communism, but sometimes Democracy.

But my most recent game, I had tremendous faith and a small army when Poland & Australia declared a joint war against me. Theocracy came in very handy at that point. I was able to take out Australia without having to declare war on Curtin, so he never got the production bonus.
    After the war, I decided to switch back to Merchant Republic, and for the first time learned of the horrors of anarchy! [pissed]

13. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Prince

I tend to go Oligarchy early game because the AI does, and getting that early relationship bonus to turn AI into friends (or not-enemies) feels worthwhile.

Mid-game Merchant Republic is most common, partly because of how the Eurekas line up. Even if going religious I'll frequently end up in Merchant for a little while until Theocracy is researched. If I'm not going religious it's rare that I get the 2 Temples required for Monarchy, and the 3 military slots are practically useless to me.

Late game Communism or Democracy. The former because, again, the Eureka is natural to achieve, but the latter's Wildcard slots are wonderful, and the extra Diplo slot for spy defence is nice too.