Epic and Marathon

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ltccone, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ltccone

ltccone Prince

Does anyone else enjoy BNW in epic and marathon speeds? I play most games in epic, and a few in marathon.

I enjoy the longer games's effects on trade routes, exploration, and combat. Units are actually useful for more than a few turns before becoming obsolete.

Of course the games take longer for me to play, but to me that is not a factor.

2. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

I find they're almost impossibly difficult on max difficult. It seems like the computer will get twice your army even if you're only building army units.

3. simonthesinner

simonthesinner Chieftain

I play mostly on marathon, with a few games on epic.

4. tomplum68

tomplum68 Warlord

It definitely changes how you have to view your defenses.

If you let yourself get behind militarily, it takes too long to recover in the event of an invasion.

On standard speed you can usually hold the AI off with what you have while you produce units to push them back.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I enjoy playing Marathon games. I enjoy getting immersed in each consecutive age. I also enjoy games that take more than a week to play out. It feels grander to me.

6. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

Ditto.
    :goodjob:

7. Duponey

Duponey Chieftain

As the computer can't compete with an average player on the military part, playing longer games helps the humans (take two troops with "reach" and you can take all the cities 'til the deity level).

8. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

I exclusively play on Large/Epic and totally agree with you OP. I like it a lot.

Cheers.

9. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

I agree with you 100%! I started playing Marathon speed games shortly after I got BNW (previously having played a lot of Epic speed), loved them and am now unable to play Standard speed without thinking, "This game's going way too fast!"

10. Makonnen91

Makonnen91 Chieftain

I also love the feel of marathon/epic games. I play mostly epic with a mod to increase research times and love it. My only gripe with epic was that the techs still came and went too fast. The mod all but solves that.

11. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

I constantly play Epic. Normal feels slightly too fast, Marathon slightly too slow - but then I did not give Marathon a real shot, I ended rather prematurely. Maybe I'll be a Marathon only player in the future, who knows, but currently Epic is Epic.

12. SackofOwls

SackofOwls Chieftain

I prefer Epic so that the various units have time to shine without quickly being outpaced.

This does mean my games take much longer and I very rarely finish them though. :)

13. rodrigoq

rodrigoq Warlord

I like Marathon games, diety. Mainly because I like wars, long wars, and war with units before they are obsolte. Makes for great ancient and classical era wars. Always found it annoying that I would get chivalry, and before I could muster an army of knights, they'd be useless and i'd be pushing calvary. Then make 2 Calv, and be on to land ships..

I like marathon, even though waiting 3 times as long for units gets annoying when you need units NOW!.

14. earthwulf

earthwulf Warlord

Yes to both... I feel like standard is too... twitchy. I build an archer & 2 turns later I need to upgrade to gatling gun.

15. pozz

pozz Warlord

I love the early-mid game on marathon, it just seems to become so slow in modern+ ages =/

16. ltccone

ltccone Prince

You feel the same way I do. :)

Another reason I like it is because it makes civs with Ancient and Classical age bonuses more fun to play.

17. MarshalN

MarshalN Prince

I think marathon also makes more sense on larger map sizes. Otherwise it's too far to get anywhere