1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Fails and epic Wins

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by gilgames, Mar 14, 2017.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

This thread is to show and discuss what we had made very good or bad. At least I have several thing to share with the community :D This is a place to post not development related ideas or theories (tried or not).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

So let me start it.

Several svn-patch before I had a very nice Aragon game. You need to know I really like trier UU. So I decided to build an Almogavar army instead of knights. Before last uhv, my army was done to take the rest of Provence and thus fulfill the last uhv requirement. But it turned out as a disaster. The uu in itself is strong and good. but in stack they are potential but slow and vulnerable. So I almost lost it vs Burgundy :D

Another short story: Byzantine Colonial power! it just doesn't work....

3. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

You want good things we've made? Let's see...

After I got UHV1 with France the world was my oyster. Picked up mega-Arabia as a vassal from my Crusading efforts and could've probably gotten a Domination victory if I wanted. Fun game!

Also had a fun time with Germany since their stability is phenomenal. Taking Poland as a vassal is a bad idea if you want UHV, though, as they tend to settle lands you need!

4. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

Long play with Germans for 3/3UHV with 80-85% of the total number of colonies, Augsburg WWs spam center, keep Jerusalem more than 600 years, stability over 90+

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Nice thread! :thumbsup:

6. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

well, my last germany stretched from aragon to novgorod :D I could've been a lot bigger if i switch to imperialism earlier :(

Also back in the old days (maybe 1.3) I had a fun game with arabia (actually the only 3/3 game with them) where i conquered whole europe + claimed the oficial "highest instability" award. The peak of it was ~130 in minus, but at 1150 37% of the world was islamic :D
    ps: ofc absinthe fixed it :( :( :( :(

7. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Just played a game as Bulgaria for fun, ignoring UHVs where I vassalized Turkey by force and Genoa, Venice, and Aragon all peace vassalized! I controlled everything from Dubrovnik to Sinope personally when I got bored...

8. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

This is how Novgorod looks like in late game.
    A few ideas about it. Machine Tools comes very-very late. Imo it should be researchable around 1500 and after, around Printing press time.
    I've seen apple as a resource in-game civilopedia, but apple res in the game. Apple with + health could help to all civ like sweden/russia/lithuania/novgorod to keep them in better shape.

Funny that I dow-ed only once, i got wars and its ended always to my profit.
    SVN: 1235

Attached Files:

9. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

missing Colony race?

10. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Be my guest and show us how...

11. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

Vassalized Danes and Norwegians, control and protected Atlantic Access in Skagerrak
    Completed projects: Panama, Louisiana, India and China, unlucky with 1000/1600:hammers: Malaya

Attached Files:

12. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I made a quick emperor game with france. It was surprising. The first uhv is a bit luck dependent. I mean it if you get city secession due to -5 stability. (or -2) otherwise it was awesome. After 1000 AD i could tech lead (I had no feudalism in 850 :D), and nobody dared to dow me. Finished in 1522. BC popped me Astronomy.

ps: Companies are very strong for france. I would allow it to spread when they do, but wouldn't allow company unit without Chivalry! I could build AromoredLance 4 turns or Teutonic 3 turns! what do u think?

Attached Files:

13. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

You can build 11 Teutonic Knights in the time it takes to build 10 Armored Lancers. But those lovely French lancers were a full tier down compared to the Teutonic Knights.
    Then again, even Knights (arguably the same tier) pale in comparison to Teutonic Knights.
    The production it takes to build 16 Teutonic Knights allows only for 10 Knights.

This isn't the whole story though, because if I recall correctly, Orderly Knights are more prone to falling victim to a crusade.

Still in certain circumstances an argument can be made for a weaker version than their current incarnation (eg Jerusalem in friendly hands or, as proposed by Gilgames, before any civ has discovered chivalry).

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yeah, I also think some limitations are needed for those special units.
    Chivalry comes kinda late in the mod compared to them, so that don't really work though.

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Maybe something akin to the National Unit mechanic in SOI? So you can only build between three and five of each holy order unit. Makes them valuable as part of an army, but means you can't make them the entire army.

Alternatively have the company units also upgrade? So you can build Teutonic Sergeants (or Sergeants of whichever order) before Chivalry and Teutonic Knights after Chivalry. The Sergeant units are equivalent to Armoured Lancers but with the same bonus the knight equivalents have.

Or for the ideal solution implement both, so you can have a few strong units from each order which upgrade with the Chivalry (or Civil Service for heavy infantry etc) tech.

16. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Limitation doesnt sounds good. Or with a bigger scale. If you are limitied to 5 units losing even 1 would hurt. Maybe 5/city limit or more.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Both sounds reasonable!
    We actually use limits on national units and unique units quite excessively in Realism Invictus. Also, there is another type of limitation there, and this is for all units: units of the same unit class have increased production costs. E.g each knight-type unit cost is increased by 5% of the previous one: 1st is 100%, 2nd is 105%, 3rd is 110%, 4th is 116%, n. is 100*(1.05^(n-1))%). It actually promotes mixed armies, both for the AI and the human player.
    I'm not really sure if I want to go in that direction for RFCE, it's a huge change on gameplay. Will have to think about the possibilities a little more.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  18. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

I would agree on some sort of limit on the number of company units you can build, whether it's increasing maintenance cost or some sort of cap, maybe depending on how many cities you have with the company. They are too powerful right now, I think.

19. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

To be perfectly honest I would love to see a limits on cavalry overall! Once Chivalry is researched military becomes a race of who can train the most Knights, which really breaks immersion for me. In both this game and SoI it becomes all about cavalry death stacks when it seems like infantry/gunpowder death stacks should be supplemented with cavalry

20. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

I do understand that this is a MASSIVE change, however