Equality of Opportunity in the US

How is it?

• Excellent - I don't see what the fuss is all about!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good - It's not completely perfect, I know, but it's better than the alternative(s).

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Meh... Good in some areas, bad in others.

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • Bad - It's bad and needs to be improved upon.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Horrible - Revolution nao, pl0x?

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Yared

That Guy
Inspired by this post:

we have more than enough "equality of opportunity"

actually nothing stop you from bootstrapping

you just can't accept rich people are hard-working smart individual and poor people tend to be high school dropout-baby mom

What do you think about EoO in the US? Is it bad? Is it good? How is it bad/good?

This is a broad question so I hope there are a lot of discussion.

Discuss!

Somewhere around the Meh... area.

Where you're born on the socioeconomic ladder has more to do to determine where you end up than any other factor. But it's not a hard limitation.

I say the meh area.

Good: We got past the stages of Slavery and Segregation by Race and Sex, and we are a blend of cultures.

Bad: We're stuck in the Gay Rights stage, Illegal immigration is a problem because Green Cards cost so much (or so I've heard), Everyone is an acceptable target, depending on where you go.

It exists, but it is going downhill rapidly.

Having grown up an affluent suburbs, nothing was out of reach growing up. Anytime I drove through southeastern Ohio though, I was reminded of the opportunities I had.

I'll go with "meh" -- it exists but the work involved to rise up from poverty is a whole lot more than the work involved to stay upper-middle class between generations.

I voted for horrible, not because I think that it actually is that bad, but because I think that a communist revolution in the US would be really funny to watch.

Also, for those of you who are going to say that this is already happening: STOP, because you are WRONG and I am going TO capitalise and emphasise RANDOM words to MAKE you understand THIS.

We also need more communist revolutionaries.

If we could dig up a USA-loving communist revolutionary, that'd be handy. Pity the only one we have to hand is a committed Russophile. ;)

You summoned me master?

Yes... the time to strike is now. At last we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi to America. At least we shall have revenge.

We also need more communist revolutionaries.

Don't you worry about that. If the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer we'll get there soon enough!

Rise, opressed workers of America, throw off the shackles of the rich and overthrow your opressors!

I keep saying that. No one listens to me. :(

The most amusing part is that in the US the government unlike most European countries doesn't have a monopoly on weapons, or the use of force. There's a ridiculous proliferation of guns which makes such a thing far more dangerous than that sort of thing happening in Britain where the government has a monopoly on the means of force and institutions of coercion and can gun down people with little physical retaliation against it.

Top Bottom