Era/Age Advances should require "conflict"

The short version of this is you are stuck in whatever age you are in until you click an "age advance" button that advances you to the next age. When you advance age, a crisis of some kind is triggered that your civilization must overcome.

So for example - Rome tries to age up from the Classical to Medieval era. It experiences an inflation crisis, which causes gold maintenance costs to drastically increase for 5 turns. If the treasury hits zero, units or even entire cities revolt to avoid the treasury going negative.

As another example - Germany tries to age up from the Renaissance to the Industrial era. It experiences a crisis of religion, whereby about half of its cities suddenly convert from Catholicism to Protestantism. The Protestants ask for you to adopt Protestantism as the new state religion and depending on your choice, the other side will spawn rebels or even a new civilization.

I would also like to see sort of a "conflict harshness" - whereby the earlier you try advance the more difficult a crisis you face will be, as an anti snowball measure.

On the science side of things, you just keep researching tech from that specific era. So for example you might research barter (unlock markets) then currency (market yield increased) then coinage (market yield increased again) etc. Each era would need many more technologies than what we have currently (or alternatively it's like Iron Mining 1/2/3 each time revealing more Iron on the map).

This sounds interesting, but are you advocating for every civ to have a unique transition crisis for each era?

That sounds like it could get complicated very fast, especially for civs that historically just didn't exist at certain points. What's an appropriate way for US to advance from Classical to Medieval? How should Babylon enter the Modern Age?

This sounds interesting, but are you advocating for every civ to have a unique transition crisis for each era?

I imagined it being full random what crisis is triggered, I just used loosely historical examples as civ is a loosely historical game.

I think a pool of around 20 potential age up events would provide enough variety to keep it from getting repetitive. I didn't quite get there though thought I'd throw out a few ideas.

A few ideas

Severe drought
Regional or little ice age
Religious splits
Slave uprising
Nomad invasions
Inflation
River changes course
Revolutionaries
Diseases
Dogmatism
Zealots