Era=ERA_XXX

Zygmunt

Warlord
If Im playing an industrial aged mod set in the 18th century does setting Era=ERA_ANCIENT let the game go by slower examples research time, unit construction and buildings as compared to using Era=ERA_INDUSTRIAL for it?

Im no more than 50 turns into the game and i have enemies attacking me with airships and machine gunners.

Now this is Era=ERA_ANCIENT at the very top of the world builder, the begin game bracket not the begin player bracket

Never tried that with a WBSave, but, generally, Industrial start era does speed some processes up a bit through modifiers in Civ4EraInfos.xml. Maybe you could check e.g. whether the production costs in your cities increase when you use Era=ERA_ANCIENT.

Thanks. I can build almost anything in 4 turns or less, some cities have nothing left to build besides units and it's about a 12 turn wait on new technology. The speediness has killed the fun, I was enjoying 18th century until it quickly turned into the 20th century. This scenario here is what Im playing

Maybe ill even set the country's setting to renaissance instead of industrial. that might even help to slow it down more

Last edited:
Maybe ill even set the country's setting to renaissance instead of industrial. that might even help to slow it down more
The player starting eras only result in a call to CvPlayer::setCurrentEra, which, as far as I can tell, matters only for graphics and some AI behavior. If the teams all have at least one Industrial-era tech, then the per-player StartingEra lines should actually be redundant.

I see that the start era is already Ancient in that scenario (and changing it to Industrial would achieve the opposite of what you want). Just from having launched the scenario once (as Prussia), my impression is that the cities are fairly well developed, but everyone has only 3 or 4, and I seem to have 0 Cottages. And Marathon speed doubles unit production costs while tripling tech (and building) costs. It takes me a projected 100 turns to research Scientific Method. Well, whether that's working as intended is, I guess, not the topic here. If you want to increase production costs further or reduce tech costs, I think you'll need to wrap this scenario into a mod and change Civ4GameSpeedInfo.xml.

I play on epic speed, just not marathon. Don't want the game taking 25 turns for one musketeer or such. I also modded out max turns and all the wars and tried to set it to start in 1700 but for some reason it starts in 1736, just not 1756. Im just looking for an even balanced scenario that's fast enough to be fun but doesn't put me at WW1 3 years into the game either. And thanks again for your help.

I've been doing some editing on the SYW scenario. I want it to feel like the period 1700 - 1850 with no major advances in technology. machine parts leads quickly to rifling, which includes machine gun units and tanks. Not 18th century by far. I entered the world builder and tried to give everyone renaissance era techs but to no such luck. Here's what ive done so far if you want to play around with it. I modded out all the wars and gave Iroquois all british techs and Algonquin all french techs, in reality much was shared and i thought it would be an interesting game change. Using the world builder i gave 2 cties to france and 2 cities to spain that were previously barbarian owned in north America. I gave france access to its own horses so now it can train cavalry at the start of the game

EDIT I deleted the SYW file as I've done more editing hopefully for a better final product

Last edited:
Top Bottom