crossing the i's
Dear fellow addicts to FfH,
Masters of Mana,
RifE
and other FfH modmods!​

I am more than happy to announce that

#erebus is back!

What is it?

#erebus is a registered chatroom on the same server as #fiftychat. It is based on the idea that we need a chatroom to have excellent multiplayer (MP) meetups (because Hamachi can be a big... :lol:), strategy talks and the occasional modding chit-chat. In the old days Kael used to drop in at times. But, hey, no promises! ;)

It's supposed to be a channel maintained by fanatics for fanatics. So come in, say hello and see what's going on! The room is always open and even though you might not find an awful lot of people in there feel free to hang out and help us populate this world. The people who are on there might even try to help you with your various questions. :run: But due to the fact that none of us are on the original programing team we might not know the desired answer. :blush: But we'll sure try to help. :D

How do I get there?

1) If you have some kind of IRC client (mIRC, miranda, trillian, xchat, ...) you'll find us on:
warrensofthought.com => #erebus.
2) If you have no bleepin' clue what 1) was about you might wanna try this:

Current Admins and Ops:

Whenever you come online those guys are your prime target for questions relating to the channel. But that does not mean that they are the only ones you can ask. :D They might just hang out in the channel and be busy with something else, though. If so, the nicks usually read sth like this: dot|afk or Operaway or sth akin.
You will also find three little guys named ChanServ, morte and Nodrom. Don't expect much from them bots. :p ;)

Q&A

If you have any questions about #erebus please leave them here in a post. If you're still having trouble with getting to #erebus please feel free to send a PM to me, Opera, anw or Valkrionn. Best is to send it to all of us though, else a response might take a couple of days in the worst case. But we'll try to be far quicker. ;)

The Thank You ...

... goes to Till.
He's the guy who runs the server. So be nice to him and thank him for providing our new home! :hatsoff:

... So long and see you on #erebus!

Some "laws" on #erebus:

1. Thou shallst not cast rust on thy connection.
    Seriously, that's just a stupid thing to do. On any connection, really. But this law is already kinda established.
  2. Do not use the !roll command for morte with anything bigger than "xxdyy".
    Bigger rolls may cause morte to die. And since it's a bot that operates all over the server you'd kill him globally. We are guests on the server. Please behave accordingly. Any abuse of the !roll command will result in kickbans.
This list may receive updates. If so, I'll edit the rule into this post and leave a new post for all erebusians to see the update.

mIRC? Haven't used that since I played Utopia in '03/'04, and had to coordinate province attacks with my kingdommates (ahhh good times, simpler times).

Maybe I'll check it out. :)

You played Utopia? I thought I was the only Utopian in this god forsaken place :p

Great rack there dot!

hey, I just atempted to join the Erebus channel, although at the moment there is the illusion that I am the only one on. Is this because I joined incorrectly or because there are no permanent residents yet?

I just attempted to join as well....and I was the only one on....I suppose we'll have to wait for him to wake up and give that little spoiler, or we just missed each other and there are very few nerds who want to sit in a chat room and talk about fake angels and demons....a pity.

@ Honor...

Indeed. My best age was ~age 16 when I was fairly influential in my kingdom (having spent every work free moment on the darn game), and I finished one of the highest honor attackers on the island....ahhh, in those days, I was something to be feared, at least in my little world of utopia, where I wasn't a pizza delivery boy, but a great and feared king of men. Aaahhh memories.

On a related note, I revisited the game recently, and it just isn't the same. Trading is legal now! Who knew that which Mehul fought so adamantly against would be adopted so soon after he had left the game...but I digress. :)

do extrapolate what Utopia is ... and what kind of trading is it which made being illegal so favorable?

www.swirve.com (if it's still the same)

It's a free text based strategy game which was quite popular about 7 years ago (+100,000 players), where you would start a province and be randomly assigned a kingdom which you were expected to work with during wars with other kingdoms, race/personality strategy, etc.

You could attack other provinces, cast offensive spells, defensive spells, etc. and there were many race/personality combos to form strategies for...good stuff.

The funnest part was all of the intra-kingdom politics for me. I liked to cause a ruckus, and shake the foundation of the kingdom I joined. I helped foment a revolt against a rather bad monarch, and then became the new monarchs right hand man....we took that kingdom to great heights, and almost started our own alliance until I ran into some personal troubles and had to basically give up the game.

I still think of those times fondly and the friends I made were good folks.

The trading part had to do with players trading accounts (or more often forcing new players to give them their account info or be killed off, why so many agreed is beyond me) to create "superkingdoms" which always led the charts and were seemingly unstoppable.

I was quite proud of the fact that our kingdom was 23 random people who came together and made a pretty kick arse team without cheating.

So there it is...my utopia experience in a nutshell.

BTW, the game is much less popular these days, with something like 20,000 players if I'm not mistaken....but at it's time, it was pretty sweet.

EDIT: Also, if I lost you at "free text based strategy game", don't feel bad...that was when my RL friends' eyes would usually glaze over....the price of being a "secret" nerd in the cool kids group. They all wanted to talk about football and basketball, and I wanted to discuss the merits of using city of brass in a blue/red control deck (bonus points to anyone who gets that reference).

hey, I just atempted to join the Erebus channel, although at the moment there is the illusion that I am the only one on. Is this because I joined incorrectly or because there are no permanent residents yet?
I idled in the room all night. And three people stuck their heads in. Senethro, Hei and fifty. So you might have joined incorrectly. I'll have to head off to work soon thus the little helper will have to wait. But I'll see what I can do when I'm back from work.

[to_xp]Gekko;8284109 said:
the title of the thread is biased, there's no mention of Orbis or any other modmod :lol:
:) Now, isn't that wonderful? I, for one, like being biased.

Nice I'll add this to the RP games thread as we used to use #erebus to meet up :goodjob:
Cheers! :goodjob:

shippo, we are still here

mIRC? Haven't used that since I played Utopia in '03/'04, and had to coordinate province attacks with my kingdommates (ahhh good times, simpler times).

Maybe I'll check it out. :)

lol fun times indeed playing Utopia, used to play that all the time while i was studying abroad since most of the computers here could not support pc games at the time haha

glad to see #erebus is back!

... and what happened to old #erebus ? oh, now i know

edit:
dot said:
[to_xp]gekko said:
the title of the thread is biased, there's no mention of Orbis or any other modmod
Now, isn't that wonderful? I, for one, like being biased.
what ?!? no Orbis ?!? ... not goin' there

this thread is officially hijacked.. there goes the seriousness. oh well. gotta find a way to get out of those demons slaughtering infants and greedy dwarves leaving the homeless with no spare change. evil, evil dwarves... I therefore propose that the dwarves alingment be changed to Evil.

Top Bottom