1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Erebus map

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by vruchten, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Grakor456

Grakor456 Chieftain

I always assumed that Erebus is actually referring to both the world and a large continent all of these people are on.

It's actually confusing, because I think most of this is conflicting. For example, I always assumed that the Fane of Lessers was on an island as everyone seemingly had to sail there. Yet, Valledia the Even's entry talks about moving forces *away* from the coast onto shared borders with the Infernals, suggesting they're on the same land mass. It could be that Valledia's entry shouldn't be taken as canon or presents a "what if?" scenario due to the fact that the Infernals can appear nearly anywhere. Either way, I'd put the Elohim, Bannor, Lanun, and Amurites as relatively close to each other, with a common border or something.

2. Kael

Kael Chieftain

The fane isn't an island, but is almost entirely enclosed by mountains. The few known passes are accessible only from a thin strip of desert coast.

Remember that the lands, especially the infernals and the clan are constantly in flux. Cities are taken and lost. These are not static borders set for centuries as in our world. So Valledia was talking about infernal borders form an area they controlled during a war. Not the fane of lessers.

3. vruchten

vruchten Found serenity in torture

I think this is one really important thing to have in mind. If i`m making a map it can be more or less accurate at one point of time. But the scenarios are taking place over a long time period. And everyone will move around. And some, like the Lanun are anyway nearly everywhere...

4. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Also,
    -based on Varn & Auric's stories, the Illians should have a short overland route to the Malakim, with the Svartalfar nearer to the Malakim than the Ljosalfar are.
    -based on the Age of Ice, the Amurites are near the Doviello & Illian--they might have moved a bit, but it's hard to relocate a nation.
    -based on Valledia's entry, the Amurites should be near where the Infernal end up. I neglected this on my version.
    -Based on Einon's entry, the Elohim probably have many shrines and such, but their nation is near where the Infernal end up, or at least close enough to war.
    -Based on Capria's story (and logic) the Infernal probably come about near the Sheaim.

Many of the situational clues came about without any definate idea about geography, meaning there might not be a perfect solution that fits every line. I didn't even go into scenarios; although I did (obviously) have a map in mind for a few of them, consistency came after gameplay (you'll note Wages of Sin resembles Into the Desert, with some warped proportions; chalk it up to differences of scale, but it was to make them each play better).
    So just make something reasonably close. Consider every story after the starting point of the Epic game a what-if anyway.

5. vruchten

tried to include as much as possible, and to make it like i feel its right... now i`ll probably start to process the map some how like this:
    Spoiler :

6. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I don't think that is really right. Considering how much of the land in Against the Wall is Jungle and hwo the Clan are there too, I think that The Deruptus mountains should be near Labruscum. Also, despite horses usually being associated with flat lands all the references to Hippus homeland mention hills. I tend to think they live in the foothills of the Deruptus Mountains. Also, the Deruptus mountains seperate the main part of the continent from the swampy lowlands of the Sidar. They aren't just off to the side like that.

Dacius's request to the Undercouncil seems to indicate that the Umbrawood is to the north of his land, the great ocean to the east, the Deruptus Mountains to the south, and the foothills of Tempus Mor to the west. That isn't possible with that layout.

Also, the Illian capital isn't Graduk, but Garduk.

Edit: The hills of the Hippus are grassland hills, where their sheep graze. Although best known for their horses and horsemanship, the Hippus are masters of all animal husbandry. Before Rhoanna turned them into mercenaries they were mostly shepherds, whose battles were mostly over who could graze where.

The Amurite city of Nimarail was built on land stolen from the Aroul-Hippi, grassy hills that were once among the best places to graze. The Kuriotates settlement of Caledor was built in a fertile valley also stolen from the Hippus. I think it is safe to say that the Hippus are surrounded by the Amurites, Kuriotates, Elohim, and Khazad (whose lands until recently they thought were just uninhabited mountains).

While the Sheaim may have summoned the Infernals near their and the Elohim's lands, I do not believe that the Fane of the Lessers is there. Everyone who went to the Fane had to sail there, so I do not believe it is on the same continent as the Elohim, Malakim, or Balseraph empires. The Fane has been a dark corrupted land since the age of dragons. I believe Kael stated that the Elohim as a more peaceful good nation did not share a border with an evil they would need to combat, at least most of the time. Despite the age of their leader, the Sheaim are a very new civ, so the border between the Elohim and the Sheaim or the Illians they called in haven't existed for to long. The fact that Hyborem lacks the Immortality promotion in the Lord of the Balors scenario makes me think he had already been vanquished once, but that the Sheaim ritual was stopping him from returning entirely to hell so he stopped when his soul reached the Fane.

7. vruchten

Thanks, but i think since there just is no canon map, there is not really a canon geographie. Since a lot of things where written without a map existing it would become difficult to draw a map which makes sense in the end. Anyway, my aim is to make a map where it would be possible to make RPGs or NESes with...
    and than its fine.

Edit: but ofcourse i`ll change Garduk... and i`ll rename the Hippi plains to "Mealthiel Downs"

8. kenkrajen

kenkrajen Chieftain

nice. very nice :cooool:

9. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Chieftain

I suggest the Erebus map, from Nikkis Knight...

10. Verdian

Verdian Chieftain

I agree that making a map that makes sense is probably impossible, but speaking as someone that really wants a map so I can run DnD campaigns in Erebus, it would be nice if it matched the scenarios as much as possible. Things like the location of the Sidar are fairly specific. >_>

I am just glad you are doing this. I hope the request for specifics does not deter you.

11. dyx

dyx Chieftain

Maybe it would help if you tried to shape the world anew and don't use the continents from the map for the game. Just a suggestion, for me the continents there don't feel right. I guess I would start it from scratch.

12. vruchten

that`s what i just decided to do actually. i`ll take the placements of the civs and places from Nikis-Knights map and reshape the continent until i like it.

but it will take some time, and first i`ll have a test on first laguage acvisition

13. orangelex44

orangelex44 Partisan

Thanks for adding Rinwel... it's' nice to see. There's only one "L" in it, though.

14. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Chieftain

15. vruchten

16. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

pretty 10 char.

17. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Chieftain

Not everything... what did I miss ?

18. Angrenost

Angrenost Chieftain

I'm trying to get the nations and the major seas and mountain areas right.

Spoiler :

Lanun consist of coastal and island cities. Even though they tend to appear everywhere I doubt all their cities are that spread.

Probably the southern group of Malakim, Calabim and the Elves could be swapped with Khazad and Deruptus mountains without problem. The Hippus could still menace the Dwarfes if they had a large area that extended even that south.

I'll probably never get anything pretty enough done to be published for other use than my own rp campaign, but maybe this might even be of some use for people with more graphical talent ;)

19. Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800 Chieftain

Is there actually an up to date gamemap for the setting housing the factions in the correct location?

20. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Anyways, I really like the sketch you did on #38. I will use that as reference when I try to make a worldbuilder map tonight ;) so please dont change it all that much.

In generall, the scenario civ locations that dont jibe with the map seem to have been described as small out posts, or invading parties. I think the sketch you made is a good starting place for the primary capital city of each nation.

I'd also probably separate the Dead lands and Fane of lessers than more than a body of water, aka one is an island on the north pole, and the other an island on the south pole. At least thats kinda how I see it.