1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Erebus rebirth - PBEM III

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Old_Lion, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

Settings to be discussed
    except :
    4 players, <-- set.
    default number of civs

modmod : orbis V1_0 patch b
    large size,
    Perfect World 2 - cylindrical - Break up pangea - start anywhere
    Quick game
    No opening of major lairs or feature before turn 50.
    OldLion -- Sandalphon Sidar ~23 PM GMT
    cvx : Alexis/Calabim ~11AM to 2AM GMT
    Mcwill -- Einion - Elohim ~GMT 24:00 - GMT 2:00
    Deon -- Arthurus of the Khazad

turn 0 - may 4
    turn 7 - may 9 -- 1,4 wholeturn/day -- 5,6 playerturn/day

2. mcwill123

mcwill123 Pretender to the Throne

I was considering the idea of a game with high sea level, mostly human players. On Erebus Continent map it would be medium cohesion, to avoid a bunch of small islands. Throw in Lanuns as one of the AI, just to make things interesting. Maybe there's a chance for this, since there seem to be several games starting. What do you think?

3. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

I have no objection to the principle of High sea.
    I'd say lanuns if nobody is interested (with these settings a player might be interested)

I don't know if other settings add flavour in this case ? maybe no world wrap ?

4. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

Erebus Continent > Erebus, definitely.

5. mcwill123

Any reason behind the Final Five choice?

6. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

It's not final.
    The idea is to "free" the players lagging behind without hope from his faith to the other players. And thus increase game speed in later phases of the game.

But if you're not happy with it, I'm ready to discuss it.

7. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I am not happy with it. There're cases when AI may summon Hyborem or pop a few great sages, and there will be no way to outpace it, so the player will be lost.

Also i want to play it VERY MUCH! Please count me in. Urbis goes really slow, and I am not in Lauched (however I play instead of Jarrema there for now), so I would really like some faster-paced game to join.

Let me think about civ, ok?

8. mcwill123

Can a player that has given up in PBEM just hit ALT-Q to have AI take over their empire?

9. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

Very good question. We need to try and see what happens.
    Is it ovetaken by AI or deleted ?

+

mcwill : do you sign in, or are you still considering it ?

+

deon : you're in.

+

I've changed my idea: I want to play subtil : I take the clan for this game.

10. mcwill123

I'd like to play if it's something a little different. I thought the high sea levels might be a good idea for that. More on that. I generated some maps using both Erebus and Erebus Continent. I repeated these a few times, so I knew that the results were characteristic. Actually the EC script using low cohesion gave what I consider the best land arrangement. There were plenty of small islands but it looks like all of the initial settlers get placed on large ones with plenty of room for initial development of a few cities. That said the EC script just generates what I consider too many resources. A starting city with 10 resources in its BFC is not unusual. The last map I generated had a starting location for the Palantinates where they could have 6 hogs, a rice and 4 silks in their first city's BFC. Sheesh. Erebus script on high sea levels gives probably a half dozen large islands (pretty much continents), but they are almost always separated by only one water tile. Also there are NO small islands. Maybe there is another better alternative for a map script. But otherwise I would suggest using Erebus Continent with high sea levels and low cohesion. I think it might be fun to have some meaningful naval options. Oh, one last thing. I would strongly suggest some kind of wrap for an Erebus map. A non-wrapped Erebus map usually produces a huge corner full of mountains. What do you people think about all of this?

11. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

I like what you say, Mcwill.
    My main issue with Erebus continent is also it's giving too much ressources.

Since we want a distinct flavour for this game, we could go with another map script than Erebus variants after all.
    I don't know how those deal with FFH2 and/or orbis specific ressources, but anyway orbis has many mecanisms than spawn these ressources during the game, so I don't think it is such an issue.
    +
    I think I'll go with the clan if there is no objection, but I'd tend to remove the "raging barbs" in this case since it would give me too much of an advantage. opinion ?
    +
    The roster is closed :
    Oldlion/cvx/mcwill/Deon => I think this is the best playing order.

12. mcwill123

OK. I did a couple maps with Perfect World 2 and it looks like it does what I'm looking for. It generates a few continents with some separation. The resource level isn't outlandish like Erebus Continent. The only thing I see is there is no kelp. I guessing some can grow later, but if not I don't see it as any huge loss. I did notice Patrician artifacts, so it can do at least some Orbis specific resources. If we decide to do this I would suggest the settings Break up Panagea, Start Anywhere and Cylindrical. Want to give it a shot?

13. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

No objection in principle.
    I'll generate maps with those setting to see how it looks like.
    +
    During this tim people can choose civs and leaders.
    +
    Maybe I'll consider giving the game another name if we are not to use an Erebus map.

14. mcwill123

15. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

I think perfect world is really worth a try. let's go for it.

another point :
    I restricted the map size to normal because I usually do that in order to avoid too long inter-turn.
    But since long inter-turn is build in PBEM, we might consider having a larger map with more civs.
    I don't want to increase the number of human players (because of long inter-turn :D), but it would change the feel of the game. AI players place would be more important.

what do you think ?

16. mcwill123

Personally, I'm open to bigger map. It would mean a longer game though. AIs won't be very good using ships either. But I don't really have a problem with it.

17. mcwill123

I'm 5 hours behind GMT, so something like GMT 24:00 - GMT 2:00. I've been mostly playing my turns in the other game in the mornings though somewhere around GMT 10:00 to 11:00. Either one works for me.

18. mcwill123

I would like to request No Hell Terrain. I've found it to often very very hard to remove. Some tiles can't be sanctified after 10 tries.

19. Old_Lion

Old_Lion King

I have no opinion on hell terrain.
    I have always played taking into account the AC counter, so I never went above 20 something.

i've seen blight once, but never the riders of apocalyps.
    I need to try some day. I'm not experienced with that.

20. Kalina

Kalina Just lurking...

Just wanted to mention that Ahwaric is working on 1.0c patch now, so you might consider waiting a bit :)