1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Erebus religions' structure?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Acrux, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Acrux

Acrux Chieftain

What do we know about the structure and government of Erebus religions? I’m not aware of any bits of lore that speak extensively on this, although there does seem to be more known about Order than any of the others. Some of my speculation follows.

Order

Order seems to be a “traditional” Episcopal hierarchy, resembling an extreme hierarchical structure, somewhat in the Roman/Byzantine style, although without (perhaps?) a single church head at the top of the hierarchy.

Empyrean

I see Empyrean as a Presbyter-run structure, with regional councils elected from local elders, with those council members again rolling up into a group of delegated higher-ranking elders within a Synod.

Runes of Kilmorph

With the focus of Kilmorph on the importance of individualism and the family as a unit, I would guess that RoK is set up in congregational manner – each local congregation is independent of all others, but may join with others in non-binding associations with other congregations to discuss shared beliefs and cooperate in joint efforts.

I admit that the differences in Empyrean and RoK structure are unclear to me.

Fellowship of Leaves

I would guess that each local group is autonomous, with a single council made up of representatives from each local group (perhaps not elected, but chosen by sortition).

Octopus Overlords

I have no clue. It’s obvious that there are priests and priestesses who make up a local temple. Due to the chaotic nature of the religion, I’m inclined to think that there’s minimal top-to-bottom governance. I’m unsure how someone advances within the structure that does exist.

Council of Esus

There seems to be no “official” organization of CoE, but there may be structure within adjunct organizations and guilds such as Stewards of Iniquity. It does seem strange that it’s called a Council though, unless there’s a shadow government of some type.

Ashen Veil

Again, I’m unsure of the structure here. It seems to mainly be a cult with no clear indication of structure. Perhaps each city has its own local policies for advancement, since advancement would seem to be important for the practitioners.

Luonnotar

I’m not sure whether there is any structure to the Luonnotar. Each seems to be a wandering mendicant, or an individual prophet who has heard directly from the One and goes where he may.

2. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

I'm interested in the answer to this question.

I get a different feel than you but I'm not sure.

3. A Moon

A Moon The "A" is silent

I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but inside this spoiler is the text for when you win the Splintered Court scenario as the Svartalfar, prefaced with an explanation as to why I'm posting it.

Spoiler :

While not explaining how the Council of Esus runs itself, it does show how Esus himself (Or at least someone who believes themself to be Esus) influences Erebus. I think the "whispered into Faeryl's ear", might not refer to Esus literally talking to her, rather, he would have one or more of his servants deliver reports to her about the Dead Lands. This may give us some insight into how the Council operates. Rumours and deception spread by the followers to manipulate or direct other followers. Maybe.

The messenger of Esus was one of my favorite creations. He had two mouths and always spoke both the truth and lies. He was currently standing before the court simultaneously telling of the victory of the Svartalfar and of the Ljosalfar. Demonic barons planned both my triumph and a way to recover from this defeat depending on which story they believed. Of course as I am able to discern every lie; it is of no hindrance to me.

The messenger addressed the masked figure in the throne, who sat in the deepest shadows of the long hall. Everyone assumed that was Esus, in fact my deception was so complete that even the decoy in the throne believed he was Esus when actually I was disguised as a simple lyrist in the hall. These past few centuries I had begun to wonder: what if everyone in the hall believed that they were Esus and I wasn't in fact the god of deception? But it was a thought I tried to chase out of my mind.

I could see everything done in shadows, hear everything whispered. In a distant cell Ljosalfar prisoners planned for an escape, Rivanna herself considered overthrowing Faeryl, and all throughout the Umbrawood those few elves who remained loyal to Cernunnos hid.

Across the rest of Erebus greater lies are being told by priests, generals and kings. I closed my eyes and buried myself in the layers of manipulation, intrigue and egoism.

But there was one cancerous sore on Erebus, one place devoid of the subtleties of my work. The Dead Lands, where walking corpses spoke their own simple truth and Tebryn Arbandi sought to end my game entirely. There is no opportunity in destruction, and as much as my wayward sister may object, I had no desire to see my kingdoms turned to ash.

So I whispered into Faeryl's ear. I told her tales of desire, wealth and power and beneath a white moon the Svartalfar launched warships towards the Dead Lands.

4. Skitters

Skitters Chieftain

I always envisioned OO as being control through fear - by using roaming Priests (perhaps with a pack of disciples) in a uber witchfinder general role, instilling hysteria and paranoia in the local population.

I envision the government being responsible for 'schooling' the Priests through asylums - so that if they did not have visions before they joined the OO, that they would do after the trauma of their training....

Once schooled, the Priests would as often as not be left to their own devices to wreak havoc as they meander from town to town

I kind of view the "Council of Esus" as purely the name used by the game for the players purpose, and not something the people who unwittingly follow it would specifically use. The Guilds and Stewards of Iniquity would do the work of Esus - but they would't think they are doing it in the name of Esus, but instead usually for selfish purposes or other Gods (particularly Mammon)

I kind of imagine "Council" also ties in with the Undercouncil - but again, the various members wouldn't necessarily think they are doing the work of Esus, but may have been manipulated into doing his work

Whilst the player may target the deception skill to get CoE, I kind of see it being a situation where the nations culture development has made them more susceptible to the whispering's of Esus and his servants