1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Error Allocating Draw Buffer

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Hassjo, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Hassjo

Hassjo Chieftain

I think I've exhausted all of the known fixes & I'm still getting a draw-buffer error after about 5 minutes of play.

System:
    Gateway 866 PIII
    Windows ME
    128MB
    ATI Radeon 32
    Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128

I've updated my drivers, windows & shutdown all of my background programs. I only have 95 fonts installed, so I don't think its the font error.

I'm still waiting for a tech support e-mail so if anyone has any other possible solutions, let me know. Thanks Much!!!

It gets frustrating having to reload every 5 min., but I guess the good thing is I know whats going to happen when I load my saved game again..........

2. richdom

richdom Chieftain

"Draw buffer error" should be a result of the "too many fonts" thing.

It was the only stumbling block I had to playing this game.

THEE absolute most ******** reason that I can ever think of for a game to NOT START!

But, if you only have 96 fonts.......I'm afraid to say you are beyond my help.

G'Luck!

3. seb794

seb794 Chieftain

I had a similar occurrence of that, after trying to tweak my system performance to improve game play. I had just increased my system VCACHE setting up to 32MB to try to minimize I/O (I have 256 MB RAM), and I got the error after about 20 minutes of game time - when I reset to a lower value and rebooted, I haven't had another occurrence. So it sounds like that particular message is a memory or resource problem ... I'd recommend you try closing any non-essential apps before starting the game, and see if that helps you any.

Regards,
    Trey

4. Hassjo

Hassjo Chieftain

I spoke with tech support & there is a conflict with the ATI Radeon 32 AGP card. Their solution is to update the Video drivers.

Unfortunately, with an Radeon 32 AGP card you also need to update your Motherboard & Chipset Drivers for the Video Adapter to function properly. I'll let everyone now how it goes.

Thanks for the advice & replies so far.

- Hassjo

5. VanOranje

VanOranje God-Emperor

I have read somewhere that you should go to the configuration screen of windows and then push the system thingie.
    In the system screen go to the tabpage on the most right.
    In this screen you can lower the accelartion of the rebuilding of your screen. Lower this to the second on the left and than reboot windows.
    After this the game should work.

6. Hassjo

Hassjo Chieftain

I've made a little progress.

Anyone who has a Gateway System, make sure you get any driver downloads from Gateway, not from the actual company that manufactuered the product. (ATI for example)

I've updated my system using the Gateway specific drivers & I no longer get a draw buffer error, now, I get a white screen error with no message after about 20 minutes of play.

I have Direct X 8.1, has anyone had any problems with 8.1? as compared to 8.0a?

7. KiyamvirMaar

KiyamvirMaar Chieftain

DirectX 8.1 works fine for me. No problems so far....

8. Hassjo

Hassjo Chieftain

Alright, I was wrong. My white screen error is still a draw buffer error.

I have the latest & greatest drivers & I've addressed the font issues.

Anyone have any other ideas?