1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Error Message

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Final Frontier Plus' started by PsiCorps, Feb 10, 2013.

1. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

The attached screen shot has been brought up before I think and there didn't seem to be a solution other than dropping the game down and then bringing it back up to clear the message.

However, after looking into the different lines mentioned in the error message I now know why the game doesn't like what is happening. It's all down to the unit currently selected being used to build a starbase that is completed in the same turn which also sacrifices the unit currently selected.

Is there any way to delay the construction of the Starbase so that it completes after the end of the turn or at the beginning of the following turn? At least this way the construction ship is no longer the selected unit.

2. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

I have added code to the Python to try to avoid that error message on two separate occasions (at least). It has reduced the frequency of it happening, but not eliminated it.

Most of the ones I have seen were actually a few lines earlier in the file when it was trying to get the button for the unit, not when trying to find out if it is selected.

I have come to the conclusion that the source may actually not be what I thought it was, or at least not always. I had thought it was a "zombie construction ship" problem where it was trying to look up information on the dead construction ship. I think the remaining issues may, however, actually be due to the new starbase unit - I think it might be trying to get information on it before it is completely initialized. Maybe.

I was fiddling with it back before I was set up to deal with the DLL. If I knew for sure that it would happen ahead of time from some particular save I could now run with the debugger attached to see what is actually going on, but reproducing the problem is hard. It doesn't happen very often, and less so that it used to.

Possibly the most effective fix would be to do error handling in the displayUnitPlotListObjects function, wrapping most of its contents in a "try" statement and having an "except" statement that just bails out of the function via "return 0" if anything goes wrong. This is a bit cheesier than actually figuring out what the actual specific issue is and fixing that, but it would eliminate the error messages...

3. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

If it stops the problem I'm all for the fix. I can clear the message the first time it happens but if it happens again I lose the game to a CtD.