[SCENARIO] Escape From Zombie Island Elite - January 31, 2017

After Playing - Your Opinion about the Updated EFZI2 Elite Game - December 6, 2021

• I think the Game Play needs to be more challenging

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I think the Game Play is too challenging

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think the Game Play is challenging enough and Fun to Play

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I think the Game Play needs more Special/Scary Zombies

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I think the Game Play needs more Zombies from the Start of the Game

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I think the Game Play is about right because each time I play is different enough to enjoy

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey, we're living in a sort of extended zombie film with representative government effectively cancelled, anybody dying and even animals getting it! ‘Watch out for Zombies’ is good RL advice.

I've recently had a thought… the Authorities eventually unleash the nukular option.

But I don't think it's the right weapon, because an island the size of Paradise Island would be rendered uninhabitable by such a blast.

Maybe it would be better to use neutron bombs? Their range is smaller and buildings are not destroyed. The bit about contamination remains, but still.
Or else it could be white phosphorus bombs.

*scratches head*
Or the dreaded newfangled ninja bomb (pictured), which the US military recently used in Afghanistan?

I've recently had a thought… the Authorities eventually unleash the nukular option.

But I don't think it's the right weapon, because an island the size of Paradise Island would be rendered uninhabitable by such a blast.
Well from the point of view concerning Real ICBMs, you are correct :agree: but the Nukes in EFZI are smaller and only destroy a Single Building and its surrounding area :mischief:
I don't believe anyone takes most of the Units in the Game as "Reality Units" and besides, General Fullbright Loves Destruction :lol:

Ninja Bombs... :wow: Now those would be Nice little Game Units for War Games if the Animations could be made to depict them properly..

(side thought) the ninja bomb could be some smaller-scale weapon for the Company to develop and ‘test’ in the environment ‘regrettably’ created by the ‘accidental’ development of the Zombie situation.

But back to the main thought, I think Fullbright would be wiped out along with the rest of the city as well. Hence my suggestion of other weaponry such as neutron bombs or napalm/phosphorus.

Takhisis... If the Nuclear Missiles in the Game showed anywhere near the Power of Real ICBMs, the entire Paradise Island would be destroyed but as it is, the Explosions and affected areas are small.

Think about Game dynamics and how it all works... Most weapons are in the Mind of the beholder concerning Games.

There is No "Global Warming" in EFZI2 and the Nuclear Explosions only affect The Buildings and tiles around them.

Other than what I have mentioned, all Game Units are just for Fun and there is no need to scrutinize details or compare Game Units to those found in Real Life.

For example, just as you mentioned Real Weapons like the ninja bombs, there are in reality Nuclear Rockets such as the "Davy Crockett Bomb" that do not have the destructive Power or Radiation of an ICBM.

Hi Vuldacon, I created an account to say that I love your mod, and have been playing it for two weeks. I can tell a lot if detail and effort was put into it, and I appreciate what you do. Thanks!

- Max

Hi max514563... Welcome to Civfanatics and Thank You Very much for your Kind words.

I have added more additions and adjustments to the Game and play testing/adjusting it all now.
Will Update the Game when I am sure it is all as I want it.

The Moglin and Xenomorph Units are in the Game as well as New Key and Minor locations and adjustments. Hope to Upload the Updated Game by the Christmas Holidays.

EFZI2 Elite is now Updated December 6, 2021... Happy Holidays :D

Download link is in the #1 Post of this thread.

Game Update list is included in the Download.

I hope I have managed to make the Game more Fun for Beginners to Veteran Players.

My Game testing only captured any other Human Faction Building from the beginning several turns of the Game ( to capture the TARDIS from the Company for example) then I did Not go to War with any Human Faction the remainder of the Game but allowed the Zombies to capture their Buildings before I captured them... That was just my desired way of playing because it does not make sense to fight other Humans during a Zombie Apocalypse :)Besides, you need to help the other AI Human Factions with your Strategies.

You should enjoy gaining more Great Leaders for Stronger Shooting Champions and more time to establish your Goals until Zombiegeddon and Especially The Omega!

Good Luck and have Fun with your Game Play.

It is too Early for this now but I placed a Poll to see what players think about the New Updated Game from December 6, 2021... the Biq is from November 23, 2021.
Play the Game through to the End and it helps to play more than one time then place your 3 votes :)

Easy or Difficult, Veteran or New Player... I want the Game to be Fun and challenging for all.

I assume that people who have voted in earlier polls can now vote again?

Oh dear Gods, there goes my spare time again on being besieged by zombies. And they have new friends too! Why can't I stop doing this to myself?! :cry: Thank you!!! :goodjob:

Wolfhart... Thank You for the Cheers... I have not had much feedback for a while.
Be sure to vote after you play one or two games. It will help me to know what Players want.

The additional "Friends" like the Xenomorphs and Moglins are Very Strong so get your Snipers and Champions ready and especially toward and at the end game :D

It has been a tough couple of years and I just had Cataract surgery on both my eyes. Having some problems with both eyes and other life situations but I do want to improve the game where ALL Players from Newbies to Veterans can have Fun with it or at the very least have a Brief Reprieve from Real Life :)

What ever anyone thinks, I want the Game to be Fun, Not Grueling, Tedious or too easy or too difficult.

Players will see that they have more strength and ability to gain a Good position and have the time to decide and implement their personal Strategies.You should gain more Great Leaders for Champions.

Yes, I could make the Game outrageously difficult for the Hard Core Players or Very easy for the New Players but I want what I call a "Happy Medium" that basically satisfies everyone the most.

There are many Units I can Remake or Create as well as adjustments to suit the majority... Just need some opinions from those interested :)

Hope you have some Fun with it Wolfhart.

Hello @Vuldacon, have been playing the newest version for the past week or so. I got the Farmers assigned (randomly) as my Faction this time, and things are going well, considering their starting position and the difficulty level (Controlled).
Spoiler How it's going so far :
Initially stayed at peace with everyone as I built up my forces and improved my starting Buildings, then the Company declared on me for refusing tribute. I took the Dog Pound as punishment, killed the very few incoming units who'd made it through the Zombie-held areas, and then made peace.

Then the Zombies started in on me. I took some of their captured buildings, starting with the Retirement Home (which they'd captured during the opening turns) and then prioritising the Buildings with the lowest SAZ-counts: starting with the Church, Gentleman's Club, Fast Food Joint and Hardware Store, then looping north to the industrial buildings, and then southeast as far as the Bank. It cost me Old Buzzard (shot down over the Aerospace Center, IIRC), but I hurt them badly enough that when (my Alliances expired and) I could make peace with them, I got them to throw me the Executive Club as well.

This peace treaty did not last long, however: the Zoms broke it very soon afterwards.

While I continued to fight the Zombies, the Authorities declared on me (not sure if they did so deliberately, or hit an Invisible unit?), resulting in their destruction -- mostly at my hands. The Survivors helped out by capturing the Radio and Police Stations, but my various Zombie-killing stacks took the Docks, the Coastguard (the Survivors stole Paradise Resort right out from under me -- but I beat them to Snorkel Beach!), City Hall and finally the Military Base -- despite the time and blood required to get there (I lost Elizabeth at this point, probably to Radar-Artillery bombardment).

The Survivors then failed to live up to their name, by also (backstabbing and) declaring on me. Because by that point I'd amassed enough Champions that I could squeeze them from both sides, taking the (Cinema,) Graveyard, Paradise Resort (hah!) and Hospital then swinging back through Tokugawa's Home, Hannibal's Place, the Garage and School. In the meantime, the Company had taken the Police Station and the Furniture Store (this Building has changed hands frequently!) and finally the Radio Station, leaving Hannibal with nowhere to run.

The most recent development is that after multiple turns of Champion-attacks (assisted by Zeb, Lawman Jed, the Priest, Jake, Elvis, a Steam Roller, Mr.T, and more recently Captain Spiff and a Dalek), Camp Paradise has finally fallen to me. The Weapons Range is next in line, then the Armory and Paratrooper Base. I already set my 2 Cruisers (so far) to automated bombardment of the Armory for a couple of turns, and I will add Voyager-bombards once I'm reasonably sure that the coast is clear (I don't know how many Squid were already dead by the time I captured the various coastal Buildings, and I have not been keeping exact track of my own kills; at least a dozen so far, though, and I am pumping out Cruise Mines as decoys).

I have also been sniping the Factory for a long time now, but with most of my Elite and Elite* Champions committed at the northwest end of the Island, I've had insufficient units to make much of a dent in it yet. But the passing Zombie-units have provided me with quite a few Champions, and newly upgraded regular Champions (and autoproduced Snipers) are now being shipped southeast.

It's now 2am on Day 9, and I'm 3 turns away from Hot Wiring. I already have multiple Buildings which can produce Mean Machines in 2-3 turns before the Morale Boost, though, so I'm reasonably confident of winning, even if it takes that entire 30 turns (or more) to do it.
Interturn-processing times are noticeable, but not unbearable.

As always, though, the main frustration with this game(/Scenario), is that unit-movements (back and forth) across the map are so agonisingly slow, mainly because Streets, even after being cleared and repaired, give no advantage to travel-speed. I do get that this is fundamental to EFZI's design -- but even though I now control quite a few of the vehicle-producing Buildings, the various vehicles are "repaired" so rarely, and the carrying capacity of each is so low, that I'm now encountering real difficulty/tedium ferrying all my Champions (43 so far, after losses) to their next target(s).

It's reasonable that Farm Trucks (I currently own 6, after losses) only transport 2 foot-units (plus 5 units in Old Betsy), but it's a little frustrating that the 4-door cars (1 Road Warrior, 4 Municipal Cars -- so far) are also limited to only 2 units each -- maybe these could be set to carry 4 passengers instead? Especially since I can't put anyone aboard the 10-unit capacity Shaggin' Wagons or Hazard Trucks (I also have 6 each of these). The capture of the Military Base and its 6-unit Troop Trucks will also help with this, but I've only received 2 Trucks so far.

Also regarding unit-movment, maybe I'm missing something, but I'm (still) not seeing much utility for the exceeedingly sloooow (M=2) Hand-Built Tanks -- beyond point-defence near where they were built? Because (in my current game) by the time they could be built, those Buildings which could do so reasonably quickly were generally so far from the action, that the advance (led by M=3-5 foot-units, who can also use Sewers and shortcut through Impassable-to-Wheeled terrains) was moving forwards faster than the Tanks could. If Tanks are intended to be used offensively, then they really need higher M-values (e.g. M=4-6, but still Wheeled, and subject to all offroad movement-costs); I would happily pay a higher shield-cost (double to 160 shields?) to balance such an increase.

Conversely, Armed Farmhands are also M=2, (currently) more expensive than Tanks, but less powerful -- but unlike Tanks, they do have offensive bombardment, and can be at the current front on (nearly) the same turn that they're built -- provided that vehicle-capacity is readily available, anyway! (Is it deliberate that they can't use Sewers like the other Farmer foot-units?) Also, could Farmhands (and maybe also Hired Hands?) maybe "upgrade to" Armed Farmhands? Even if they don't actually have the "upgrade" unit-ability checked, that would at least remove these weaker units from the build-list in the mid-/late game, when Armed Farmhands are far preferable to build/draft.

Oh, and one minor annoyance, which is mainly down to Firaxis programming sloppiness, since they set "B" as the hotkey for both "(B)uild City" -- or "Join (B)uilding" in EFZI! -- and "(B)ombard"!

I've 'lost' several Prospectors who were inside Buildings when I asked them to shotgun some Zombies outside, because instead of using the "bombard" button, I hit the hotkey per my habit (to keep the cursor over the target-tile while (stack-)bombarding). It took me a while (and a couple of such losses!) before I figured out why my Prospectors had disappeared -- and even then, it still happened a couple more times afterwards! (I salvaged those errors by drafting Armed Farmhands from the new pop-points). This could admittedly be avoided by me being more careful, and making sure to use the "bombard" button whenever a Prospector is both the current unit, and inside a Building (but this is a little tedious, and still potentially subject to misclick-errors, given how the game jumps around the map while cycling through units) -- or by simply disallowing Prospectors from joining Buildings in the first place...?

(Such potential hotkey-mismatches may also apply to other EFZI units, but I'd have to look through the .biq to find them all...)

tjs282... Thanks for your Game Report.

Over all it is the decisions players make and how they play that "programs" the Game Play for them. This differs and is in addition to the things I "set up" for the Game.

Much to answer but I will try.

There are Hard coded programing factors that affect what you do and how you do it regarding Game Play Results. The Human Factions should Not be attacking you unless your Game Play is causing it.
All Human Factions other than the Farmers are at constant War against the Zombies. Other than the Zombies, the Farmers are actually the Main Antagonist for the other Human Factions.You will note that Zeb Breaks Deals many times during the game because he can. There are many things you can do such as not trading the Farmers Cola so they cannot build Elmo's Farm Trucks. Tools are also an important Resource that can be used to advantage. Same for your Strategy of paving a Street, preventing the Zombies from capturing another Human Faction Building or Clearing Pollution for them... You have to use Strategies that most helps you.

The number of various transport vehicles is and has been probably far too many. Most biped land Units have more than one Move which is far better than any "normal" Civ Game.
Paved Streets are more about what they provide for the Buildings rather than Movement speed. When you think about City Blocks, having a street paved or unpaved for a block is not going to really make any difference in your travel speed with a Vehicle.
Think about playing differently with your strategy. Even if you could take all Champions where you want them in one turn, you would be neglecting to help the Other Human Factions that you Need to stay alive and healthy enough to continue research that you need to trade for.

Yes, Hand Built Tanks are slow comparatively speaking with 2 move points but this is intentional because those Tanks are More for Defense and Blocking Zombies than they are for Attacking.
Use chain movement for Tanks if you want distance. I advise Not to use Hand Built Tanks as Offense as the AI does. That is a waste of time and Units. Don't confuse The Hand Built Tanks with Military Tanks and the Strategies that go with them for the Authorities or in "normal" Civ Games. Build Fortresses for the Hand Built Tanks and choke off the Zombie Building Streets such as around the Research Center and it is Best to start this early and build up so you can capture it before the Omega.
Of course other Units can Use Sewers and therefore move faster but that is what you are dealing with in this small Island Zombie Apocalypse. It is the best the Factions can do in short notice. You have to use what you have, not what you wish you had :)

The Farmhands intentionally cannot use the Sewers just like the Security Guards, Riot Cops, Old War Vets, etc... for all Human Faction Units. This is to prevent the ability of being able to send the all early Units somewhere in one turn... That is what the Cars and Trucks are for and I will add that if you line up your Vehicles, you can use chain movement across the Island. Probably you are accustomed to Big "normal" Civ Games where you need and have the things you seem annoyed about.
The reason for the lack of some upgrades is to maintain Game Balance and all Human Factions Need to have units that are just basic and can at least be used initially in the start of the game but also as cheap units to Block Zombies from "Unearthing" on Building Tiles. Nerds are not only Free but they use the Sewers, same for Strippers, Chainsaw Maniacs and Dockers. There are Units that are better suited for duties in the game. All Factions have Special Units as well as Champions and Snipers that Use Sewers and are better units to send to places where you need them.

Yes, I understand about the B Key... there is No "Build City" but the B Key is just another annoying factor of the hard coded programing. Best to become accustomed to using Game buttons and Mouse as needed. Like ANY game, there are things to learn regardless of what we are accustomed to. Certainly Prospectors could be set where they could not Join a Building but that would also affect the Population cost for them in the first place and the Farmers have more Food than anyone on the Island. I do appreciate your thoughts and feelings about it... just try to get use to using the Game Buttons and Mouse then you will not notice that being a problem.

Each of the Factions have their differences and things to learn about them. Use your Mind, Experience and Ability to adapt and use what you have to gain what you want in the Game.

for example, Play as the Zombies and win a Conquest Victory in about 45 turns.
It is the Human Player advantages and what is understood about the game that makes all the difference, not only in Game Play but the end results :)

As for the Factory or other Zombie Buildings with MANY Sated Alpha Zombies... Use the Voyagers and Cruisers :)

tjs282... Prepare for The Omega! You do not want the Zombies having many more than 10 buildings as they seriously crank out Strong Units then :wow:
When the Zombies try building Dark Sky IV, Bombard and Shoot the Building that is trying to build it.

I am sure you see that the Champions are more powerful and the HazMat Units are exceptionally Strong for use.
It is more time consuming to go after the Military Buildings in the Northwest early because they have far more Sated Alpha Zombies. When you gain more Cruisers and Voyagers you can Capture them much faster later.

Among other Goals, it is best to prevent the Dark Sky Key Locations from being Built and there are many ways to prepare for them by using a Voyager and Units in Cars and Trucks with good timing to Capture the Building before the Dark Sky Key Locations can be built.... and generally place at least one Champion or Amphibious Unit is each Voyager so you can capture a Zombie Coastal Building when ready. Use the TARDIS to place Units in captured Building Fast.

You can successfully Block off Zombies from your Buildings with Chains of Units so the Zombies go after other Human Factions. It is all about timing and the First 14 Turns of the Game are Very Important to start your Strategies and gain a better position.

Keep your Cars and or Trucks available around the Island and especially where you are working towards as well as helping the Other Human Factions. Use Chains of Vehicles set up not only to Block the Zombies but to allow you to take Great Leaders back to Upgrade to Champions. I recommend making a Chart/List to record how many Giant Squids you have Killed so you know when it is safer to take your Voyagers out. You do not have to Kill all 50 if you build and use many Cruise Mines and keep your Cruisers and Voyagers in stacks, ready to kill any remaining Giant Squids that come for your Ships. A Good Strategy is to "Bait" the Giant Squids with Cruise Mines... when they come for them, Kill them with Units that have Lethal Sea Shooting or Bombardment and especially Voyagers.

I always find it Funny to watch the AI get their Special Units Killed Off because they generally do not take many of them back to heal. This is true for the AI Farmers using the Farm Tractor. That is a one of a kind Special Unit that can help Clear Pollution, Pave Streets, Irrigate as well as Kill Zombies but the AI Farmers always get it killed off along with Bubba. Equally Funny is that the Zombies do tend to take their Unit to a Building to heal more then any of the other AI Factions.

The Company does not tend to Pave their Streets unless you protect them where no Zombies can get to them... This allows you to Sell and or Trade Tools to them for Great profit. Do keep in mind that the Company cannot Build the Security Bot Factory without Tools and that any Human Faction can Build it when they capture the Company HQ. Yes, it is very tempting to Capture Buildings from other Human Factions which I agree with at the Start of the Game but then Make Peace and allow the Human Factions to gain their Research because that will help you get through the "Capability Tree". Also trade as soon as you gain a Tradable Capability to all Human Factions and the AI will research other Capabilities that you can trade for. A Good example is when you are playing as the Survivors and gain Guns, Guns, Guns, you can trade that capability to the Farmers for an Alliance against the Zombies plus extra supplies. That gets the Farmers into the Fight against the Zombies if they have not already started fighting them because they ran a Unit into an invisible Zombie Unit or a Zombie Runs into one of the Farmers invisible Units. Hold off trading Tools to the Farmers and especially later so they cannot build Hand Built Tanks or get Mean Machines or Build Zeb's Marauders. If you did not trade Cola to the Farmers they cannot Build Elmo's Farm Trucks.

A Good Strategy that will help players is to allow the Zombies to capture the Other Human Factions Buildings when ready rather than having to go to War with any Human Faction. This is a Zombie Apocalypse and it would not make sense for the Humans to fight each other. The Zombies can capture all Human Faction Buildings by the end Game or before if the Player does not help the Others. What ever your Strategy, use Good Timing and your experience, knowing what is going to happen to Win the Game without having to Fight the Other Human Factions.

I am certain Players have many different Strategies concerning how they want to play and that is intended. After all, playing Your Way is personal and adds to the unique Game Play for individuals.

The Game Play is much easier and Stronger for the Human Player at this point. This is to make the Game more Fun for New Players and remain Fun for Veteran Players.

Once you have a Good Understanding about the Game Details, you will never lose a Game as any Faction. Then you can still have Fun playing with different strategies such as what I mentioned about not having to Fight the other Human Factions and never losing any of your Special Units... Absolutely knowing I will never lose to the Zombies, the Game remains Fun to Play any Faction and I hope others find that true for them.

Top Bottom