1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Esperanto

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aleenik, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Info on Esperanto
    The propaedeutic value of Esperanto
    La esperanto Vikipedio
    Website for learning Esperanto

I have dabbled in it a few times before (Very little), but I am thinking about seriously studying it now to help me learn another language(s) in the future. I also really like the ideals behind Esperanto, but the very small amount of speakers is something that is hard for me to get over. There just isn't a lot of Esperanto content out there compared to a lot of languages due to the small amount of speakers. What are your opinions on Esperanto? Does anyone here know it? Would anyone be interested in studying it?

2. mangxema

mangxema I

I like how easy it is to make pejoratives. :mischief:

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Esperanto was invented by a guy who lived in the same small town that my dad was born in and grew up in.

As for the language itself, I don't know too much about it :p

edit: except that it's some sort of an uholy mixture of slavic and romantic, with a bit of germanic..

4. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

That's pretty cool. Seeing as how Esperanto has a connection to your family in a way, you should read up on it more.:p

5. Captain_Epic

Captain_Epic Chieftain

All I know about it is that it's meant to be a universal language or similar. And it looks kinda like Spanish too.

6. mangxema

mangxema I

Although I'm sure the Spaniards must be vexed by what looks like perpetual gender disagreement.

7. Captain_Epic

Captain_Epic Chieftain

Let me rephrase my last post. It looks like a mix of random European languages.

8. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Wikipedia claims the following.

Vocabulary from Romance and Germanic languages; phonology from Slavic languages

Far more vocabulary seems to come from Romance languages rather than Germanic languages though.

9. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

I don't consider myself a snob in the slightest and I find the whole idea of Esperanto interesting. But I'm not convinced that there have been too many spirited discussions about beer, breasts, footy, bacon, action flicks, helicopters etc conducted in Esperanto. I think I'd want to learn a language where I can converse with a broader cross section of society.

10. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Well if we both learned Esperanto then we could do a bit of roleplaying. I think that would cover a broad range if you know what I mean, mia amo.

Too far?

11. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

That's what's annoying me. As it is so similar to Spanish (despite some grammar and phonology differences), I think I'll just stick to English as the language in which I can converse with everyone.

With all respect for the ideology, I don't think this is ever going to work out.

12. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

I don't see Esperanto becoming the lingua franca anytime soon if ever myself. But my motivation for learning Esperanto (If I do it) is not just because of the ideals behind it. In fact it is mainly because I want it to help me learn other languages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaedeutic_value_of_Esperanto

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I like conlangs, but I've always thought Esperanto was kind of bland. The interesting part about conlangs is how different they are, and Esperanto is just an amalgam of things I already know.

14. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Nah,not too far (but not if you were the last Esperantan on earth my friend :D). I'll be back with a choice Esperantan retort in due course.

Hold on, didn't you suggest plying me with Rohypnol and chilling to Luther Vandross in another thread a while back? Your new MO is definitely an improvement.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Lingua francas already exist: English springs to mind - I don't know why.

But artificial languages as amalgams, and simplifications, of others are not new. Mandarin, Swahili and various pidgins seem to be the principal ones.

Whether Esperanto will ever take off remains to be seen. Somehow I doubt it.

If you want to learn a foreign language then you should just get on with it. Nothing else will work. And hard, long work it is, too.

For learning the basis for most Indo-European languages you'd do as well with Latin, Ancient Greek, Hebrew and Sanskrit.

Not a lot of help with Basque, Finnish or Hungarian perhaps.

16. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

I think you'd be better off learning Latin in that case :) Although that doesn't help you with Slavic languages, of course.

17. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I wouldn't call Bialystok small. :p

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The one thing I like about Esperanto, after having looked at some of it, is the use of the letter j.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Really? That's my major beef with Esperanto.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It think it appeals to me because it's the Polish way of spelling out how something like "guys" might be written.. i.e. gajs

Could be just me misunderstanding the language though, I really did skim through a bunch of examples of written Esperanto.