Espionage & Culture

coanda

Emperor
Apparently the culture you have in a city isn't the same as the culture it shows when you mouse-over that tile. That's the only way I can make sense of what I'm seeing as the "culture" discount on various espionage ops.

If the enemy just took a city from you that you've been holding all game, and you have a spy ready and waiting to go, you get a 50% discount on espionage due to "culture". That's because all the culture in the city is yours. If you culture-bomb so the tile an enemy city sits on is 99% yours, you'll still get no discount on espionage in that city. If you run Spread Culture, that creates culture for you in the city, which gives discounts on future espionage missions run there.

Anyhow. Maybe this is already common knowledge around here, but it was news to me so I figured I'd mention it.

Apparently the culture you have in a city isn't the same as the culture it shows when you mouse-over that tile. That's the only way I can make sense of what I'm seeing as the "culture" discount on various espionage ops.

If the enemy just took a city from you that you've been holding all game, and you have a spy ready and waiting to go, you get a 50% discount on espionage due to "culture". That's because all the culture in the city is yours. If you culture-bomb so the tile an enemy city sits on is 99% yours, you'll still get no discount on espionage in that city. If you run Spread Culture, that creates culture for you in the city, which gives discounts on future espionage missions run there.

Anyhow. Maybe this is already common knowledge around here, but it was news to me so I figured I'd mention it.

As I learned last evening, that can be a powerful combo. Bring a stack of 7-8 spies to a city. Hit the city with the first 5 for culture bombing. Then, sweep in with the last 2 or 3 and rob the place blind for techs, gold, or whatever. It seems like the AI doesn't bother with security bureaus, and if you're friendly or pleased with them, they don't seem to effect relations, either.

Top Bottom