1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Espionage question

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by sarcis, Dec 2, 2002.

1. sarcis

sarcis Chieftain

How can I do propaganda in an enemy city? I'm Chinese with democracy and it won't work...
    The only options I have is "Investigate City" and "Steal Technology"?

2. Ninakoru

Ninakoru A deity on Emperor

You must have the industrial technology ESPIONAGE researched.

THEN you must build a small wonder (Intelligency Agency). You must click on the pentagon on the same way you clicked for the embassy's star. You must plant a Spy before you can make ANY of the spy-related missions (including initiate propaganda).

Hope this is enough help.(Sorry about my English, Spanish guy here):p

3. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

Assuming you already have planted a spy (not an embassy)it is quite likely that you do not have the money needed to do that. The larger the city, the more expensive it is. Courthouses drive up the cost as well. Finally, if the opponent Civ is a Democracy, it is immune to propaganda. :p

4. Tassadar

Tassadar Master

And if you want them to get out from democraty, declare war on them, make an alliance with another a.i., 15 turn later, ask your ally for a trade embargo against them ( this will cut luxuries trade for another 20 turn and create unhappiness and it will cost you nothing), keep the war on until they collapse into monarchy or communist. To avoid war wearniess, increase your lux slider to 20 % and buy luxuries from your ally. sooner or later they will collapse, especially if you raze 2-3 of their city ( increase their war weariness).

5. sarcis

sarcis Chieftain

how do I plant a spy? I already have the Intelligence Agency.
    But when I click the Espionage button I get only two choices, should I investigate the city first? ( I already have embassies)

6. Cartouche Bee

Cartouche Bee Appropriations Consultant

Go to the city with the Intelligence Agency, double click on the Pentagon just after the name of the city. (Like when you establish embassies you double click the capitol's star.) The rest will fall into place. :)

7. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

If you're using PTW, getting to the espionage screen (double click pentagon thing as Cartouche said, or click the 'E' in the lower right info box) gives you two mission options: Diplomatic and Spy (at the top center). Choose 'spy' then 'plant spy.'

8. pdescobar

pdescobar Moo, baby. Moo.

You can double-click on the pentagon icon after the city name of the city in which you built the Agency as suggested. However, I always find it easier to use the keyboard shortcut: CTRL-SHIFT-E. E is your all-purpose espionage key. CTRL-E establishes embassies, CTRL-SHIFT-E plants spies, and SHIFT-E brings up the Espionage window.

9. idoitb0y

idoitb0y Chieftain

how to calculate the chance of success of a spies?do spies have rank?i check the editor n spies do have rank but how it work?

10. Bloog

Bloog Chieftain

The stats of success and chance of detection can be seen using the editor. Communism is the only gov having veteran spies, all other govs come with regulars. Bonusses for success are accordingly.

11. Suave

Suave Chieftain

Where in the editor is this? I only see info on the base costs for the operations, not their chance of success. I'm dying for hard data on likelyhood of success of each mission. Anybody done any tests? Cartouche?