Espionage Too Powerful?

Noopy

Chieftain
I was playing Stalin on Prince difficulty for about 30% of the game. I then met another Civ that was an ENTIRE era ahead of me in tech, way ahead of me in military, and had almost double my score. I then was able to just put all my espionage points on him and from that moment on put them in perpetual Anarchy. They have done nothing to stop this, counter me or root out my spies. Is the AI really bad at dealing with Espionage or is Espionage just powerful in general?

I was playing Stalin on Prince difficulty for about 30% of the game. I then met another Civ that was an ENTIRE era ahead of me in tech, way ahead of me in military, and had almost double my score. I then was able to just put all my espionage points on him and from that moment on put them in perpetual Anarchy. They have done nothing to stop this, counter me or root out my spies. Is the AI really bad at dealing with Espionage or is Espionage just powerful in general?
Honestly they are really bad at dealing with espionage is probably the answer there. If Espionage was 'too powerful', you wouldn't bother to try to research instead.

if the AI was competent with Esp and could inflict perpetual Anarchy on the player from behind, more people would speak out about Espionage being too powerful. There's nothing immersive about freezing a stronger civilization for a few centuries, even if the enemy leader is "naive 1" while yours has Deceiver 1 and Politician 1.

Looking at Stalin's Complex traits, this seems like just his superpower. He can even switch up his civics a bit faster than normal to troll more effectively. A rational AI would just decide it's game over for a newly discovered rival. I wanted to ask Noopy what the eras the big Civ and his Civ were in, but I can believe this is almost always viable with those traits

if the AI was competent with Esp and could inflict perpetual Anarchy on the player from behind, more people would speak out about Espionage being too powerful. There's nothing immersive about freezing a stronger civilization for a few centuries, even if the enemy leader is "naive 1" while yours has Deceiver 1 and Politician 1.

Looking at Stalin's Complex traits, this seems like just his superpower. He can even switch up his civics a bit faster than normal to troll more effectively. A rational AI would just decide it's game over for a newly discovered rival. I wanted to ask Noopy what the eras the big Civ and his Civ were in, but I can believe this is almost always viable with those traits
I'm sure when we get to really looking at how espionage functions on a serious level we might have to do some rebalancing there sure.

Well... My oldest trick in Civ 1 was to WIN BY BUYING EVERYONE, which is still a viable (espionage) strategy even in C2C.
It's just hellishly EXPENSIVE here, but that's just postponing the inevitable, were I to decide that it IS a fun enough goal, lol.
It becomes reasonably affordable some 5-7 eras into the timeline, after all.

Top Bottom