1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Espionage

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by flaming_iles, Jan 29, 2007.

1. flaming_iles

flaming_iles Warlord

I know there is a lot going on with this mod at the moment, but there is one area that i feel is missing that would add to the game.

THE PROBLEM:
    The spy unit is the only one that is able to see inside your rival's territory without them knowing, and that is only available after the intelligence centre is built, i don't think this is enough.

MY SUGGESTION:

1 - after a certain tech is researched, say writing, (and maybe a special building is built) a 'diplomat' unit can be trained. this unit can go and found an Embassy building in your rival's capitol, (which costs 1 gpt upkeep) and after that, a consulate in other 'large' cities (population over 5 in ancient age. increasing with technologies) which costs 2 or 3 gpt upkeep so it doesnt make sense to spam your rivals with them.

A city with an embassy/consulate in it is visible to a player in the same way as a city with a religon you have the holy city for is, and maybe the more diplomatic buildings you have, you get a relationship boost.

2 - after another technology is researched, such as nationalism, you can build the intelligence angency/scotland yard. This will enable a button to be enabled in the top left corner instead of the mercinaries one. clicking on this will take you to a screen which lists all cities in which you have embassies or consulates. next to them, there could be an option to spend an extra few gpt per city to find out more about them such as what they are building... This could simulate using the embassy to send spies into a city under diplomatic cover.

3 - after another modern/industrial tech is discovered (maybe fascism or radio), another option can be added. For a large sum of money per turn, you can fully infiltrate another civ.
    To my understanding, when you use the 'chipotle' cheat in the worldbuider, it can reveal who the A.I is planning a war against and what the targets are. Maybe this could be revealed, so when a war is planned against a target by a civ you have infiltrated, you could be given advance knowledge of it.

What does everyone think?

2. Mainiac

Mainiac Chieftain

Why not just create a low tech spy without visability available with writing? These upgrade to a spy like there is right now with say, guilds. These upgrade to a spy with commando with communism.

3. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

I prefer flaming_iles' idea, would be realistic, embassies are important after all. Maybe a diplo bonus for having embassies.

4. SadoMacho

SadoMacho spanker of civilizations

the Embassy thing could be used for an other problem. If you have an Embassy in a civ, you remain in contact, if you don't have a Embassy, this cotact will fall away. But I would only go for an Embassy in the capital, not in other cities.

5. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Excelent idea! :goodjob:

6. flaming_iles

flaming_iles Warlord

On hindsight, for purposes of gameplay, maniac's idea is probably better, but I wanted to suggest an espionage system in which you can know what's going on without too much micromanagement and with a touch of historical accuracy.

7. Talkie_Toaster

Don't give up on us now flaming_iles!

8. Garashta

Garashta Chieftain

They could do it just like in the total realism mod, when you have writing you can create a national unit (max. 1) that can explore enemy territory. I think its called ambassador or informant. Sometimes late in the game you can train spies, dont know where, I almost play only rhyes mod. But thats a good thing total realism has.

9. Talkie_Toaster

I like the embassy idea =[

10. SadoMacho

SadoMacho spanker of civilizations

embassy has been in older CIV games, I think it was CIV II. You had to build a diplomat, bring it to the city of an other civ and build an embassy. Then you could contact them whenever you liked, and you got more info from you forein advisor.

11. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

And if the diplomat has the plague, do you hit your target stability and make them collapse?

Can we use diplomats as Massive Destruction Weapon?

12. Talkie_Toaster

Your diplomat having the plague has he downside that your civ will probably get the plague. :p

13. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

With the Biology Tech, can we have plants to create a plague against the hostile civs?

14. Talkie_Toaster

New building: biological warfare research centre: minor chance of disease breakout, can build Plague Spreader

15. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

I like the embassy idea and the biological warfare idea too ]:->

16. Talkie_Toaster

Yaha. Is the plague spread similarly to the religion? If so, you could tweak the academies and missionaries to get biological warfare =]

17. Phallus

Phallus Freudian Slip

If your diplomat has the plague, he'd surely die before he could wreak any havoc.

18. McA123

McA123 Prince

I miss embassies from civ 3. I think this is a great idea, although maybe embassies shouldn't be quite so powerful. Still, though, great idea!

19. biggamer132

biggamer132 King

Ah, yes, I remember the Embassy feature from older CIVs. Would be nice to see it back.

20. Whitefire

Whitefire Emperor

Typhoid Mary was coded awhile back.

The embassy would be awesome, but what functionality would it have beyond current diplomatic options? I can't see anything beyond an attitude modifier (Our people are brought closer by your embassy!).

As long as people are OK with this, I wouldl ove to see the upper-end diplomatic functions inaccessible until you build an embassy. Vassalage, Defense Pacts and Map Trading would all require an embassy. The unit (and building) would become available with Civil Service.