Ethiopia 1.187 patch

Trivium

Chieftain
I got some questions for Ethiopia UHV on the new patch. I've read the info in the Wiki but one things its not clear, for successfully getting Theology, Jerusalim must not be independent - OK, but this means its should be taken by another civ before you spawn or its also OK if its captured some turns later? I just gave up for today after a couple of tries. 1 time i got as far as 1 turn away when christianity was founded in Jerusalim and the same turn erased by a camel:mad:. I realoaded a few turns, this time Jerusalim was razed by the camel sooner but yet again it was founded "in a :):):):)ing distant land" and i was 1 turn away .... :mad::mad::mad:.

Another try , egypt founded a city where ur cottage is supposed to be, 1 SW from the gold i think , this city flipped to me on the 3rd turn shortening the research rate from 100 to 54, yet again somebody discovered theology 11 turns before me. How?. With 2 cities and no gold resource I got as far as 1 turn away and with 3 and gold I couldnt even get to 10 turns away ....

And on top of that on the new patch , always in the first 10 turns after u spawn , a horsehockey barbarian trirene is comming to kill my work boat. Sometimes it comes on the 3rd turn. Why Rhye made it so i cant comprehend. I dont even feel like cheating when i resort to WB and erase the trirene, WTF is this , you spawn and next turn ur only big food supply is dead. How is then Aksum supposed to grow

Can anyone help me with some pointers pls, cause im starting to hate the african civs

Wow. Trying the same thing now.

Can anyone help me with some pointers pls, cause im starting to hate the african civs

You mean hate PLAYING the African civs? :p

Just kidding, not trying to be a wise ass. Though it sounds a little supremistely...

This is frustrating. I wouldn't be surprised if he/we turned into (a) supremacist(s)

You mean hate PLAYING the African civs? :p

Just kidding, not trying to be a wise ass. Though it sounds a little supremistely...

Yeah man :D. Dont get me wrong but its like every time when i start with and african civ , the game deliberately makes barbarian spawns or random events to happen in the worst possible way :D. My last attempt from yesterday -> Greece founded christianity when I had 44 turns to go ( As Borat says - "WAWAWIWA")

Borat is not Ethiopian, WTF?

Founding Christianity as Ethiopia is just luck and happens only ones in 25 times... but maybe Islam is possible too for them (Great Prophets)?

I'd suggest go for a domination victory or a space race if you play them.

You're kidding, right? Domination with Ethiopia with the intrinsic food-stability penalties and no entitled tiles elsewhere outside its small domain?

Make sure, through wb or starting as a different civ that Jerusalem AND Gordion are taken. Then you'll only have to compete with Greece and maybe Rome. Buehn makes life a lot easier. Build library in Aksum, then build research (trade for Alpha from Carthage or someone else). Manage your tiles well, and with a bit of luck, Jesus will die in Buhen. Then I found Moyale, and have a solid 3 city Ethiopia. Conquer Egypt, and you'll have small stability issues. Expanding slowly should solve this though. Then get to gunpowder and fight the oppresive white man.

Yeah, but to do domination you need almost all of Africa, plus DOUBLE your territory from Africa elsewhere. Actually South Africa is not in your stability area so that's why stability falls when you expand there.
You can get some vassals but they only add half to your land score.

Last time I did it I had to turn off stability in the 1700's--collapsed despite the Taj Mahal. Maybe you can do it, Nody.:D

Well, I just did the domination win! :)
It was extremely tough though.

Hints (Ctrl + A to read; but be careful, it might be more fun to try it by yourself first!):
1) Conquoring Egypt is a must. Get their cities early, or you'll have trouble keeping up good research speed.
2) Let your empire collapse once or maybe twice in order to reset the stability. Move all your military units away from your cities so that Chariots or Knights can immediately get the cities back after they became independent.
3) You need to build cities in Americans. Doing so means that your empire will probably collapse. Again, have some Chariots and/or Knights.
4) On the latest patch, your empire cannot collapse during the golden age. So, that's the time you should invade other civs.
5) Chop jungles and build cities. Settlers are much cheaper than Infantries.

Note: The hints above are for the domination win, not for the UHV.

If anyone is struggling I would suggest using this start, it was my first attempt at the Ethiopians and allowed me to easily reach a Spaceship Victory as I didnt want to go for the UHV.
Spoiler :
Buhen will flip and make a nice capital, capture Egypt asap and pump out Great Prophets from Stonehenge. Once you discover a religion I suggest emancipation to get the most out of the nile delta, then stick to empire management and aim for state property and free speech to maximise food and commerce.

Attachments

• Excellent Start.CivBeyondSwordSave
    243.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Ethiopian World0000.JPG
    Ethiopian World0000.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 194
Really? A Mayan city is Madagascar?

Yeah that was me... I had to ditch a city to reach genetics that one turn earlier. The Mayans were the most recently reformed stooge at the time so they got the honour of my city.

You do know that Madagascar doesn't count for the UHV?

For the UHV, you could try grabbing India(shrine) and generate a great prophet there for Christianity or Islam. I did that in 1.86.

You do know that Madagascar doesn't count for the UHV?

Yeah, it wasnt triggered by my vassal Portugal building a city there in the 1800's. I only built my city there in the 1940's to fill up a culture gap, that's why I didn't feel too bad ditching it to the Mayans 20 years later.

Play as Babylon. Make your goal to take Jerusalem before you switch to Ethiopia. Also take out the Hittites (any Barbarian/Independent in Turkey really). Then I collapse Egypt, so I don't have culture problems when I switch to Zara Yaqob. Do this well enough, and Babylon will last a good, long time, and keep the Arabs & Persians off your back. Be careful with Greece. They will tech Theology sometime between turns 130 & 135. The best way to stop that, I've found, is to not trade them any religious techs.

With this strategy, you can find your second city 4-5 left of the capitol. (I forget names right now). Great spot to spread Christianity, and makes a good research/commerce center. You can leave the Egyptian cities with small garrisons before you switch, but I don't find them necessary and it's not worth having Babylon on your back.

Other than that, play well. Know how to use your great people points, when to expand, etc. You will probably have one collapse at some point if you get paranoid about the Europeans and settle that last city on the west coast early, but some riflemen will take back that city (or whatever you got). I kinda played lazy in the second half of the game, and I was still 2nd/3rd in score the whole time, and the first to Medicine. That first plague after Medicine... beautiful :love:

Well, personally I consider collapsing game over, especially if my current goal is Domination Victory, since in RFC the obvious main difficulty of that victory is to not collapse. So has anyone achieved domination without collapsing (Ethiopia)?

Top Bottom