Ethiopia - Mehal Safari - bug fix?

I wonder if someone knows an easy fix for the Mehal Safari bug which causes the unit strength to actually begin dropping below baseline once a certain distance from the capital. Very sloppy coding from failaxis again. Or, if this was intentioned then it was a horrible inclusion decision and I certainly don't want it part of my game.

Moderator Action: Moved to G&K.

You are stronger within your borders, IF the AI has more cities than you.

What is wrong with that?

You misunderstand me or ethiopia. I am not talking about the UA - the 20% combat bonus which applies to all units when the opposing civ has more cities than you - which by the way, applies both within and without your own borders. I am talking specifically about the UU, the mehal safari, which grants a combat bonus when fighting near the capital city. However, as others have previously noticed, this bonus becomes a penalty when you have gone a certain number of hexes away from your capital. People have experienced such situations as having their Mehal Safari (a rifleman replacement) losing against damaged barbarian warriors on the other side of the world. As most have hypothesised, this is a simple coding error and while the bonus for fighting near the capital should drop off as you move away from the capital, it should eventually reach baseline, the standard fighting strength for a rifleman, it should never begin decreasing your combat strength, which of course seriously hampers Ethiopia for any late game wars of aggression, or even for defense of a large empire with colonies/cities far from the capital. It leaves you basically without any sort of solid rifleman unit and worse, the 'bonus' carries over on upgrades, meaning that you need to fresh build the next tier of unit if you want to avoid carrying over this same unfortunate 'bonus'.

I wonder if someone knows an easy fix for the Mehal Safari bug which causes the unit strength to actually begin dropping below baseline once a certain distance from the capital. Very sloppy coding from failaxis again. Or, if this was intentioned then it was a horrible inclusion decision and I certainly don't want it part of my game.

So this is The reason, Why i lost to carthage on my first Game.... :eek: :lol: :sad: :hammer2: :wallbash:

Tested this, but I didn't got that bug.
Combat estimates showed no penalty and real combat results were in range of estimates.

This is part of the Mehal Safari's special ability. They are stronger then their replacement normally, the strength bonus near the capital is a bonus.

This is part of the Mehal Safari's special ability. They are stronger then their replacement normally, the strength bonus near the capital is a bonus.

You seem to not realize the bug...

They become so incredibly weak (They incur a penalty if far away from the cap that isn't shown on the percentage screen).

Like another poster said its possible for them to get easily killed by a barb warrior because of this bug. That can't be intentional

They are still fighting at normal about 30 tiles away from what I saw. You just can't do overseas invasions with them. I'm not sure it's a bug. For overseas invasions you have to use a different line. I like the flavour, I agree with the concern though. But just got to live with it.

You seem to not realize the bug...

They become so incredibly weak (They incur a penalty if far away from the cap that isn't shown on the percentage screen).

Like another poster said its possible for them to get easily killed by a barb warrior because of this bug. That can't be intentional

Not sure if its a bug... Though granted if it isn't a bug then the penalty should cap at -50% or something. It's an interesting take on the unit. Which is what the UU should be, rather than a simple bonus put onto the original.

If it is a bug, then obviously, it should be fixed :p

I agree. Also, if it's a bug but they like the feature, they should consider the 50% cap idea. That's the perfect compromise. I doubt a degrade to zero was intended.

I agree. Also, if it's a bug but they like the feature, they should consider the 50% cap idea. That's the perfect compromise. I doubt a degrade to zero was intended.

Why introducing such feature to an already average to weak UU. It doesn't make sense.

Haven't tried Ethiopia yet (but have fought against AI of it though didn't notice that...) but I have gotten a few Mehal Safari from Military CS as other empires (again didn't notice CS since I put them as garrisons in my core cities and they never saw combat that game). I'll keep an eye out for it though even when fighting AI now.

I didn't have any issues when I was playing Ethiopia with my Mehal Safari guys when I got to a certain distance form the capital my bonus just stopped and never decayed passed 0%. I Was fighting along way from the capital as well at time. (I ended up taking over most of my own continents in the end LOL - every time someone got bigger then me I used my advantage to kill them off an then when weakened puppet all there good cites for an easy culture victory)

Sounds like an occasional Bug to me, seen a few others complain about it. I didn't encounter it so pretty sure its not meant to drop passed 0. That would not make any sense at all.

Why introducing such feature to an already average to weak UU. It doesn't make sense.

Fair point. I couldn't speak from experience with how good the unit was. It is kinda the anti-Foreign Legion in some ways.

I experienced this bug with a city-state-gifted Mehal Safari. I sent the unit to help my army in its overseas invasion of another continent, and it did 1 damage and died in a single attack against an enemy rifleman.

Apart from the obvious statement of reinforcing their "defensive mindset"

But perhaps it could be balanced by an additional point of strength (in addition to the bonus near the capital)

-from a neutral point of view

i had ethiopia invade me the other day and wondered why i was able to keep killing them with crossbowmen.... in 3 hits...

Top Bottom