1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Ethiopia Update Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sonicmyst, Jul 13, 2020.

1. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

The vampire mythos and the impaling are often quite intertwined, and make up the bulk of Vlad's intrigue; beyond that he really wasn't that "interesting." And I don't find either very compelling, personally, since the impaling is just a slightly more accurate flavor of morbidity and terror that attracts the same sort of vampire fanatics. To what degree his monstrosity was fictionalized doesn't matter much when it's still the only thing he was known for.

Also, given that we have had three years without a single civ that wasn't imperialist or expansionist, I think it somewhat deluded to believe that the devs would go for Wallachia/Romania over Bulgaria or even Serbia or Albania, civs which were actually empires and had massive regional influence. That Romania has a poor history of unification, being constantly fragmented and controlled by its neighbors, and was never unified under Vlad...it's all so much stretching to try to elevate Romania to something it never was just because people have a fetish for impaling--a concept, I might add, which would not translate visually or mechanically into any civ design, and if it could, would be avoided by the developers because this is a game for all ages.

Maybe in a future civ game where we see smaller kingdoms like Ireland, Switzerland, Bohemia, Finland get a chance, I would think Romania might have a chance to shine. But that hasn't happened yet, and I would still prioritize all of those civs before Romania because they still have a stronger history of political and cultural unification and aren't resting on a single, dumb impaling gimmick.

Buthera and acluewithout like this.
  2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

And somehow it keeps on being resurrected, like Vampires. I couldn't resist that joke.

You are basically describing the Owls of Minerva, which are effectively the Illuminati of the game.

Zaarin, Kjimmet, Thenewwwguy and 2 others like this.
  3. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

They could have called the vampires bloodletters and there would be 90% less outrage :twitch:

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

So, before I have the right to complain about the inclusion of Vampires in the game, I should write a preface listing every other elements I don't like to be coherent ?

Sorry, I put that one in the "the game is not 100% realist anyway so unicorn are fine", "it's free" and "it's optional" list of arguments that I sincerely don't understand.

"I will like it, because...", that one I understand.

People are giving feedback here, good or bad it's welcome from the developers (as long is it's done respectfully)

Elhoim, Meluhhan, Zaarin and 4 others like this.
  5. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

If they made it seem less obvious
    that they were taking cues from red death with unit naming then I would like the society more

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  6. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

We can not have inuits in the game because there is no super obvious and super well-known leader. But we can get vampires...

7. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

The outrage is real! Everything's fine as long as there is something to whine about, amirite?

Imagine the Vampires had been in the actual main game, and not just a game mode!

I guess they still cost us a raid tier though...

Now, do I have everything covered?

/s if not obvious

8. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

I would distinguish outrage and statement that someone doesn't like something. It is the same simplification as naming a person who says he likes the devs idea a fanboy ;)

Meluhhan likes this.
  9. King William I

King William I Prince

So we're ignoring Mihai Bravu for Romainia?

Anyway, it seems that the only real complaint people have is the fantasy flavor. If the only complaint is aesthetic. Wouldn't that be a well designed mechanic?

Final note. This looks way more fun than apocalypse mode. I still haven't tried that but I don't think I'll ever play a game without the secret societies

10. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

For the protocol: I dont really like the idea and I'm glad it's in the toggle-able game mode (which looks good elsewise). :p Would have preferred something along the lines of "wannabe vampire" nobles or something, though at least you can still roleplay it as that!

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  11. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

that’s the problem with the complaints, it’s exclusively built on issues with the aesthetic rather than the mechanics. No one complains about how theological combat is animated, or about how the leaders and governors are immortal, among other things.

12. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

You really sure about the bolded part? :p

13. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I see it here and there but it's a pretty small minority of weakly held opinions.

Also, religion is fantasy so I'm very willing to let that pass.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

I might at least change the name Vampire Castle to Gothic Castle to not make it blatantly obvious what it is.

Hawke9 likes this.
  15. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

To be fair if you can take theological combat as an abstraction then in theory, you can do the same regarding the vampire

16. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Exactly. I’ve said this before, the lightning is clearly a stand in for debate

17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Though I wouldn't mind apostles and missionaries bashing each other with sacred texts either.
    That might be too controversial though.

Elhoim and Thenewwwguy like this.
  18. The Civs 6

The Civs 6 Prince

To reiterate what someone else said, the main complaint is that they are wasting their resources on a silly gamemode (the kind of thing that really they should just trust to modders) when the base game stands in desperate need, not just of gameplay balances and changes, but basic bug fixes.

I'm not saying I fully agree with this complaint - mostly because I just personally am not interested in the game modes, but I'm also not really into the various mods. So I'm not the intended audience, and I'm not really in a position to say whether new game modes or work on the base game results in more aggregate entertainment for all of us.

But also aesthetic complaints matter. After all, the designers obviously invested a ton of resources into the aesthetic of this game, so it's a pretty core feature of the gameplay. I wouldn't go straight to minimizing or deflecting aesthetic complaints.

Elhoim, Meluhhan and SammyKhalifa like this.
  19. ashar26

ashar26 Chieftain

I disagree that this equates to good and meaningful communication, although I appreciate that I could have gone into other examples discussed throughout these forums. Irrespective, I'm glad you are satisfied.

I think I pretty much addressed this, perhaps not clearly enough? Or maybe we just disagree on the aspects of this discussion, which is fine.

I address this in my post.

Again I address this in my post, and far from trying to limit it, I'm offering feedback which I hope would add to it.

If you disagree, that's fine.

Meluhhan likes this.
  20. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

OOOhhhhh yeah, Vampires!