[NFP] Ethiopia Update Discussion Thread

So, yes, I understand that this is actually the right place to complain, but I just feel that your complains are incoherent and superficial.
So, before I have the right to complain about the inclusion of Vampires in the game, I should write a preface listing every other elements I don't like to be coherent ?

Sorry, I put that one in the "the game is not 100% realist anyway so unicorn are fine", "it's free" and "it's optional" list of arguments that I sincerely don't understand.

"I will like it, because...", that one I understand.

People are giving feedback here, good or bad it's welcome from the developers (as long is it's done respectfully)

The outrage is real! Everything's fine as long as there is something to whine about, amirite?

Imagine the Vampires had been in the actual main game, and not just a game mode!

I guess they still cost us a raid tier though...

Now, do I have everything covered?
I would distinguish outrage and statement that someone doesn't like something. It is the same simplification as naming a person who says he likes the devs idea a fanboy ;)

So we're ignoring Mihai Bravu for Romainia?

Anyway, it seems that the only real complaint people have is the fantasy flavor. If the only complaint is aesthetic. Wouldn't that be a well designed mechanic?

Final note. This looks way more fun than apocalypse mode. I still haven't tried that but I don't think I'll ever play a game without the secret societies

I would distinguish outrage and statement that someone doesn't like something. It is the same simplification as naming a person who says he likes the devs idea a fanboy ;)
For the protocol: I dont really like the idea and I'm glad it's in the toggle-able game mode (which looks good elsewise). :p Would have preferred something along the lines of "wannabe vampire" nobles or something, though at least you can still roleplay it as that!

Anyway, it seems that the only real complaint people have is the fantasy flavor. If the only complaint is aesthetic. Wouldn't that be a well designed mechanic?

Final note. This looks way more fun than apocalypse mode. I still haven't tried that but I don't think I'll ever play a game without the secret societies
that’s the problem with the complaints, it’s exclusively built on issues with the aesthetic rather than the mechanics. No one complains about how theological combat is animated, or about how the leaders and governors are immortal, among other things.

You really sure about the bolded part? :p

I see it here and there but it's a pretty small minority of weakly held opinions.

Also, religion is fantasy so I'm very willing to let that pass.

For the protocol: I dont really like the idea and I'm glad it's in the toggle-able game mode (which looks good elsewise). :p Would have preferred something along the lines of "wannabe vampire" nobles or something, though at least you can still roleplay it as that!
I might at least change the name Vampire Castle to Gothic Castle to not make it blatantly obvious what it is.

To be fair if you can take theological combat as an abstraction then in theory, you can do the same regarding the vampire
Exactly. I’ve said this before, the lightning is clearly a stand in for debate

Exactly. I’ve said this before, the lightning is clearly a stand in for debate
Though I wouldn't mind apostles and missionaries bashing each other with sacred texts either.
That might be too controversial though.

To reiterate what someone else said, the main complaint is that they are wasting their resources on a silly gamemode (the kind of thing that really they should just trust to modders) when the base game stands in desperate need, not just of gameplay balances and changes, but basic bug fixes.

I'm not saying I fully agree with this complaint - mostly because I just personally am not interested in the game modes, but I'm also not really into the various mods. So I'm not the intended audience, and I'm not really in a position to say whether new game modes or work on the base game results in more aggregate entertainment for all of us.

But also aesthetic complaints matter. After all, the designers obviously invested a ton of resources into the aesthetic of this game, so it's a pretty core feature of the gameplay. I wouldn't go straight to minimizing or deflecting aesthetic complaints.

that’s the problem with the complaints, it’s exclusively built on issues with the aesthetic rather than the mechanics. No one complains about how theological combat is animated, or about how the leaders and governors are immortal, among other things.
Talking about aesthetics is easy and very subjective. You may like something or not and there is nothing to discuss. We can have only statements. This is the case of all this vampire topic and somehow style of play (minimaxing vs. fun) This is why I don't understand why people argue on that and try to convince one another that their statement is better. The discussion here only makes people unnecessary emotional :)
On the other hand, talking about mechanics is not easy because it requires some level of knowledge but has some objective foundation. So there is a field for discussion there.
But somehow people are more willing to talk and argue on subjective feelings :D It would be really good for this forum if we let people talk about their subjective feelings and not discuss with them, but more discuss the topics where we can find any objective facts. Mechanics, gameplay, etc.
And now look at real life and how politics works and why it's all about emotions. Sorry for digression but I am after a few months of presidential elections campaign in Poland and it reminded me so :lol:

PS. and there are not "complaints" there are statements. Do not characterize it emotionally. People are just saying they subjectively don't like something.

Last edited:
Talking about aesthetics is easy and very subjective. You may like something or not and there is nothing to discuss. We can have only statements. This is the case of all this vampire topic and somehow style of play (minimaxing vs. fun) This is why I don't understand why people argue on that and try to convince one another that their statement is better. The discussion here only makes people unnecessary emotional :)
On the other hand, talking about mechanics is not easy because it requires some level of knowledge but has some objective foundation. So there is a field for discussion there.
But somehow people are more willing to talk and argue on subjective feelings :D It would be really good for this forum if we let people talk about their subjective feelings and not discuss with them, but more discuss the topics where we can find any objective facts. Mechanics, gameplay, etc.
And now look at real life and how politics works and why it's all about emotions. Sorry for digression but I am after a few months of presidential elections campaign in Poland and it reminded me so :lol:

PS. and there are not "complaints" there are statements. Do not characterize it emotionally. People are just saying they subjectively don't like something.

We seem to be on the same page. My point was if something as subjective as graphics is the main issue, then objectively speaking it seems to be well designed. Naturally well have to play it to be sure, but we did get a good look at the bonuses offered by the societies and there's yet to be any discussion on brokenness or weakness. I'm my book, that's says good things overall

Also, considering we have three threads that debate fantasy vs reality in less than 72 hours, we've passed statements and moved on to complaints. Not that there's anything wrong with complaining. Afterall the point of this site is to express opinions.

Side note, can someone please go to a sims fansite and show them the proper way to be disappointed. I'd like to post something positive without being called a dumb expletive fanboy :lol:

We seem to be on the same page. My point was if something as subjective as graphics is the main issue, then objectively speaking it seems to be well designed. Naturally well have to play it to be sure, but we did get a good look at the bonuses offered by the societies and there's yet to be any discussion on brokenness or weakness. I'm my book, that's says good things overall
The funny thing is we haven't actually seen any of the governor screen of the Sanguine Pact yet, so they might even throw in some "realistic" bonuses in there?

Top Bottom