1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Ethiopia Update Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sonicmyst, Jul 13, 2020.

1. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

This is the first time I encountered all AI decided not to provide Aid to another civ. 20200724014650_1.jpg

nzcamel, Tigranes, Haig and 2 others like this.
  2. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Don't know if that's a change in the update, because I've seen that plenty of times.

Can anyone confirm their achievements unlocked? I finished a game with Ethiopia yesterday but didn't get the achievement =.= Could it be that playing with mods now locks achievements?

3. Kibikus

Kibikus Warlord

Something related to movement that I didn't know before:

In this situation, a city-state warrior was standing on the goodie hut, so I couldn't move my scout there. Therefore I decided to move across to the left, just to explore a bit until they move. As I moved through the goodie hut tile, my scout activated it and I got the reward.

Goodie.png

Datgingah, shaglio, nzcamel and 12 others like this.
  4. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

That was also completely unknown to me. Thanks for sharing!

tedhebert and Hawke9 like this.
  5. Kibikus

Kibikus Warlord

After the first World Congress (in the Medieval Era), 2 unmet civs were revealed to me, even though I don't think we met on the map.
    Based on the dialogue they had when we met, it seemed it was because we were part of the same Secret Society.

6. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Prince

I played with no mods at all, and no achievement was unlocked. Pretty weird

Vandlys likes this.
  7. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

That pretty much confirms it's a bug then.

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

You miss understand me, I'm getting NO pop-up EVEN when I actually encounter a Society. None. No "A mystic appears at your Palace" pop up, I literlaly just get a free Governor title and that's it.

9. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'd unlocked all four secret societies, but hadn't picked one. I wanted to choose the Hermetic Order, but I could only see the Owls of Minerva. This was frustrating me to no end, and I found about three natural wonders and even got to read the blurb about ley lines (so I knew the Hermetic Order ought to be available to pick).

There is a scroll bar at the bottom of the advisor panel. I didn't notice it because I play at a pretty high resolution.

So this is a heads-up to anyone who is wondering where their potential secret society advisors are hiding. Scroll away and they'll be there to choose from.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  10. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Wow, that opening Sean Bean quote for Ethiopia is super generic. Could be used for every Civ really.

I mean that's a complete nitpick but I wish Menelik got a bit more of an introduction

11. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

So, playing around a bit, I love Secret Societies so far, though it does make the game way easier getting your choice of ancient-era turbo-boosts towards your gameplan. in my current Ethiopia game, I've met Kupe, Lauturo and Suleiman so far. I went with Voidsingers (of course) but so did Lauturo, which makes little sense to me (though I like knowing that he's my lifelong friend now despite my golden ages) Kupe chose Owls of Minerva, and has done literally nothing with it, and Suleiman chose Sanguine Pact, which at least fits his gameplan.

But I worry that the AI doesn't know how to use Secret Societies, making it effectively just a bonus for the player.

12. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

All of the NFP intros have been pretty short and generic, even compared to other Civ6 intros, which lack the flavor of Civ5's.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Sean Bean probably charges by the word for voice acting.

IvoryPavane, AntSou and Zaarin like this.
  14. Zaarin

At least he doesn't sound like he phoned in his lines, like Patrick Stewart in Oblivion, even if it would be nice if someone sent him a pronunciation guide. :mischief:

nzcamel likes this.
  15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

If true, then many of his words were sadly wasted on those terrible, terrible quotes in Civ VI, like that one about air conditioning. :rolleyes:

16. Zaarin

"Sure, jets are fast and economical, but, oh my, what fun we've lost and what leisure we've sacrificed in the race to efficiency." I cringe at that one every single time. I mean, Sean Bean does his best, but Avery Brooks or Christopher Lee would have had trouble making that one sound anything but dull... :sad:

17. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

Well, it's just a first impression, but so far I'm rather disappointed with the Sanguine Pact, more specifically with Vampires. I'm hoping I get a much better experience with the other 3 Secret Societies.

Vampires have 20 base strength and 2 movement, and I haven't seen any indication that subsequent Vampires get any compensation to deal with the massive combat strength difference later on. It seems like the strength bonus from adjacent killed units is +1 each time and doesn't scale, so if that's the case, the third and fourth Vampires are basically useless. They're Ancient Era Warriors w/out a promotion tree, and it takes 16/35/50/65 deaths from adjacent enemy units to match Swordsmen/Musketmen/Infantry/Mech Infantry. That seems like a lot of effort for not very much gain.

18. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

In the dev livestream they mentioned that their base strength increases with your strongest melee unit (they had swordsmen and thus their vampires had 36 base strength)

19. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

Oh, huh. Well obviously I have not played very long, since that didn't seem to happen for me. Will check again in a bit, thanks! There's still not much nuance to them though imo...

Edit: Yeah given some more though, I should try to at least finish a session with the Sanguine Pact to see if that'll turn things around, but still not a great first impression.

20. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I completely missed when Anton mentioned that, but sure enough there's a new column in the Units table "UseMaxMeleeTrainedStrength" that's set to true.