[NFP] Ethiopia Update Discussion Thread

Now I want Captain Sisko voicing Civilization 7.
I've wanted it for years. Shame Brooks is retired and doesn't even do interviews anymore. :(

I completely missed when Anton mentioned that, but sure enough there's a new column in the Units table "UseMaxMeleeTrainedStrength" that's set to true.
Oh, huh. Well obviously I have not played very long, since that didn't seem to happen for me. Will check again in a bit, thanks! There's still not much nuance to them though imo...

Edit: Yeah given some more though, I should try to at least finish a session with the Sanguine Pact to see if that'll turn things around, but still not a great first impression.
Oh, huh. Well obviously I have not played very long, since that didn't seem to happen for me. Will check again in a bit, thanks! There's still not much nuance to them though imo...

Edit: Yeah given some more though, I should try to at least finish a session with the Sanguine Pact to see if that'll turn things around, but still not a great first impression.

I don't think it has to be melee though. My vampires copy the strength of my heavy cavalry units the entire game. Someone on reddit pointed out that vampires can even copy GDR. Oh, it can also copy the strength of corps and armies, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

So I'm misunderstanding Ethiopia's UA I guess.

"Improved resources provide +1 faith for each copy the city owns".

I started a game, and got three maize. Okay, that's three resources. I improve them, I get nothing.
upload_2020-7-24_22-55-24.png

Well, okay it just meant luxury resources, because are the ones where you get "copies". The preview seemed to indicate all luxury types, but whatever. Should say "luxury" if that's what they meant, but whatever redux...

So, next city has two luxes that I improve....Still nothing. What the...?

upload_2020-7-24_22-52-29.png

Tell me it's my brain farting again, please. Is this all tied into the international trade routes? If so, not so hot.

Last edited:
So I'm misunderstanding Ethiopia's UA I guess.

"Improved resources provide +1 faith for each copy the city owns".

I started a game, and got three maize. Okay, that's three resources. I improve them, I get nothing.
View attachment 563872

Well, okay it just meant luxury resources, because are the ones where you get "copies". The sneak peack indicated all luxury types, but whatever. Should say "luxury" if that's what they meant, but whatever redux...

So, next city has two luxes that I improve....Still nothing. What the...?

View attachment 563871

Tell me it's my brain farting again, please. Is this all tied into the internal trade routes ability?

That stumped me a bit too, the faith from resources is added directly to the city, you can see it by hovering your mouse on Faith on the city panel. When faith is calculated this way you still receive it without working the tiles. I restarted my game 3 times to turn off mods cuz I thought my mods messed it up.

I don't think it has to be melee though. My vampires copy the strength of my heavy cavalry units the entire game. Someone on reddit pointed out that vampires can even copy GDR. Oh, it can also copy the strength of corps and armies, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.
If that's the case then what Anton stated in the livestream is incorrect because neither HC or GDRs have any tags that would tie them to melee.
Anton Strenger said:
Obviously, keeping them on the frontier of military development as well because their base strength is based on their strongest melee unit.
And the column in the units table would be a misnomer - UseMaxMeleeTrainedStrength. I can see corps/armies working as long as their component unit was melee though.

Interestingly the pedia seems to contradict what Anton said as it only states unit, and not melee unit.
Pedia said:
Has base [ICON_Strength] Combat Strength equal to the strongest unit your cities have produced.
So I wonder if it's working as intended or is not coded correctly? @charrison would you know?

If that's the case then what Anton stated in the livestream is incorrect because neither HC or GDRs have any tags that would tie them to melee.

And the column in the units table would be a misnomer - UseMaxMeleeTrainedStrength. I can see corps/armies working as long as their component unit was melee though.

Interestingly the pedia seems to contradict what Anton said as it only states unit, and not melee unit.

So I wonder if it's working as intended or is not coded correctly? @charrison would you know?

So I did a bit more testing. GDRs do not affect vampires, but there is a reddit post that says vampires for some reason inherit the ability to attack through walls from GDRs, but cavs definitely do affect those vampires. I tried a bit with Phoenicia with their Bireme, can confirm that navals affect vampires as well, or maybe because bireme is a naval MELEE? Not sure, haven't tried naval raider or naval ranged yet. Aircraft do not affect vampires.

Oh, and the new pages on the wiki are written a lot by me, so if I'm wrong, it's wrong LOL I will fix it if we have concrete proof to say otherwise.

Last edited:
I got to thinking that perhaps UseMaxMeleeTrainedStrength might not be a misnomer after all. It just might be referring to the Combat column of the Units table rather than a Class tag or PromotionClass. Still doesn't explain what Anton said.
So I did a bit more testing. GDRs do not affect vampires, but there is a reddit post that says vampires for some reason inherit the ability to attack through walls from GDRs
They did add the modifier BYPASS_WALLS_VAMPS, which is attached to PROMOTION_CLASS_VAMPIRE (same as Melee & AC), so I would think that's where it comes from. It would need an adjacent Siege Tower though.

Off topic - Are GDRs still able to bypass walls? I thought that was eliminated when they got rid of its CLASS_MELEE tag.

I got to thinking that perhaps UseMaxMeleeTrainedStrength might not be a misnomer after all. It just might be referring to the Combat column of the Units table rather than a Class tag or PromotionClass. Still doesn't explain what Anton said.

They did add the modifier BYPASS_WALLS_VAMPS, which is attached to PROMOTION_CLASS_VAMPIRE (same as Melee & AC), so I would think that's where it comes from. It would need an adjacent Siege Tower though.

Off topic - Are GDRs still able to bypass walls? I thought that was eliminated when they got rid of its CLASS_MELEE tag.
I dont think GDRs can bypass walls, I dont even know of a period when they could, so when I read the reddit thread, it kinda confused me a bit.

All of the NFP intros have been pretty short and generic, even compared to other Civ6 intros, which lack the flavor of Civ5's.

One of the things that bother me in Civ VI that doesn't REALLY matter that much but still matters in some ways is the writing. It's SO bad. Both the introductions to the leaders, to UI stuff (in terms of clarity). To Sean Bean's pronunciation, which I feel is the fault of the writers (or possibly whoever guides the voiceactors) as you should provide pronunication guides for difficult or unusual words to the voiceactor.

"Soon, the steady drumbeat of Mongolian cavalry is a sound you will teach the world." :eek:

The day where they work on their concepts and ontology is still to be waited.... It's not like having clear naming policy is crucial in a strategic game...

Has anyone seen the AI build vampire castles? I've revealed the whole map, it's industrial era, but there are none to be found even though two AIs have sanguine pact and I've seen their vampires prancing around.

That stumped me a bit too, the faith from resources is added directly to the city, you can see it by hovering your mouse on Faith on the city panel. When faith is calculated this way you still receive it without working the tiles. I restarted my game 3 times to turn off mods cuz I thought my mods messed it up.
They ought to just put the faith in the city center.

Played my first game with Secret Societies, and I have to say that a Voidsinger and relic focused culture victory is pretty fun. This was with Poland on Deity; just look at those yields (with only 7 cities)!

Did you get all those Relics with Martyrs or Kandy was on the map?

One of the things that bother me in Civ VI that doesn't REALLY matter that much but still matters in some ways is the writing. It's SO bad. Both the introductions to the leaders, to UI stuff (in terms of clarity). To Sean Bean's pronunciation, which I feel is the fault of the writers (or possibly whoever guides the voiceactors) as you should provide pronunication guides for difficult or unusual words to the voiceactor.

"Soon, the steady drumbeat of Mongolian cavalry is a sound you will teach the world." :eek:
Agreed. There was a lot I disliked about Civ5's aesthetic choices, but the quality of the writing--whether in the intros or the civilopedia--was much higher than Civ6's.

Recently finished rewatching DS9. The man's voice is simply astounding.
Yes, both his voice and his range of emotion and delivery really added a lot of depth to the show. (In case my avatar's not a giveaway, I'm a big Niner. :D )

Avery Brooks would be an amazing voice for Civ7, but as Zaarin says, he's retired. So I humbly nominate Andre Braugher.
I'd like Tom Baker. After he finished up as the fourth Doctor Who in the early '80s, he recorded the time announcements for the speaking clock / voice-to-text service in England, I believe. He's getting on in years though so it is just a pipe dream.

Still, I don't intend to derail this thread.

I've found that the Secret Societies (just as an observation of the few starts I have made) seems to take a medium sized diplomatic penalty against leaders of other Societies. Leaders who haven't selected a SS don't seem to reward / penalise you at all with respect to your choice of SS. This penalty doesn't seem to decay either.

Top Bottom