1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Ethiopia Update Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sonicmyst, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Agreed. There was a lot I disliked about Civ5's aesthetic choices, but the quality of the writing--whether in the intros or the civilopedia--was much higher than Civ6's.

Yes, both his voice and his range of emotion and delivery really added a lot of depth to the show. (In case my avatar's not a giveaway, I'm a big Niner. :D )

Jkchart, The Civs 6 and Navelgazer like this.
  2. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Is it confirmed anywhere that the bonus from resources is working as intended? It doesn't seem to be. "+1 From Improved Resources" sounds pretty straightforward, yet that's not what the ability is doing.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  3. Wyvern_Parade

Wyvern_Parade Warlord

I believe I got 2 from Kandy, 1 from a martyr, and all the rest were Voidsinger relics.

4. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'd like Tom Baker. After he finished up as the fourth Doctor Who in the early '80s, he recorded the time announcements for the speaking clock / voice-to-text service in England, I believe. He's getting on in years though so it is just a pipe dream.

Still, I don't intend to derail this thread.

I've found that the Secret Societies (just as an observation of the few starts I have made) seems to take a medium sized diplomatic penalty against leaders of other Societies. Leaders who haven't selected a SS don't seem to reward / penalise you at all with respect to your choice of SS. This penalty doesn't seem to decay either.

5. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

So after playing a while, this is my opinion of Secret Societies: Pretty fun but too wild in terms of yields etc for me to use the default version in all my games. Can't wait for mods that redesign it though.

nzcamel and The Civs 6 like this.
  6. AvianBritish

AvianBritish King

It does work. You need to go into the city menu and hover over your faith, it will tell you (at the top if I recall) "+4 from improved resouces" or something similar (along with any pertentage modifiers). This definatly works in all three games I've played as Ethiopia; it just dosen't put the faith onto the map like Stone Circles or Religious Idols does.

7. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I'm aware of that, but it's not giving +1 per resource. Each subsequent resource improvement adds +[total of resource improvements]. E.g. When you build your third resource improvement in a city, it gives +3 not just +1.

8. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Yes. The exact wording mentions "for each copy of the resource" that the city owns. Additionally, they made an entirely new modifier for this effect. If their intent was to simply do +1 Faith from resources, they would have undoubtedly used the modifier effect that changes tile yields directly.

nzcamel, lotrmith and AntSou like this.
  9. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

I've made a U-turn on vampires having played a few games with Secret Societies on. I find it's actually very easy to rationalise by thinking of them as a myth; they're just wealthy and secretive land owners but the idea that they're vampires has caught the imagination and spread throughout the world.

All in all, I really like Secret Societies, my only issue is the sheer quantity of early governor titles, I think they might need to tweak that.

I also wasn't sure about the diplomatic quarter but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Ethiopia are fun, a real contender in the faith generation battle, although they definitely suffer in terms of production if you don't get work ethic. I was trying to settle as many cities as possible on hills but the map wasn't ideal for it, ended up with far more aqueducts than I normally would.

10. Zaarin

It's worth remembering, though, that they do still get the production from the Hills their Rock-hewn Churches are built on. I didn't take Work Ethic, and I found Ethiopia to do just fine with production. (However, I also rolled a very hilly map.)

11. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Actually they don't suffer at all in my experience. Take Earth Goddess (make use of your appeal boost from the churches) and forget holy sites. Your churches cannot be built next to each other, so what I typically do is put two churches one space apart and a lumber mill in between. For those 3 tiles you are getting a ridiculous amount of faith (and consequently, culture and science as well). I would not worry about housing unless you have more great faith tiles to work.

nzcamel, MrRadar and Zaarin like this.
  12. walkerjks

walkerjks Prince

Right. So you improve a unique resource for that city and you get +1. You improve the second copy of a resource for that city and you get a +3 boost (the original is upgraded to +2 for 2 copies and the new improved resource give +2). You upgrade a third copy and you get an instant +5 boost (+2 to +3 for each of the original 2 and +3 for the new one).

Had a game with 5 horses in a neat boomerang-shaped row... +25 faith/turn from 5 worker charges! Except no hills to get the extra culture and science benefit. *sigh*

nzcamel likes this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

With those yields the castles can provide I agree with the wealth part.

14. JJOne

JJOne Prince

Is the new mechanic of secret societies interesting enough to buy this pack? Ignoring the new civ since I didn't even play with all the vanilla civs.

15. Zaarin

Opinions will vary wildly. I'm enjoying them, though.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  16. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

That's how it works, sure, but that's not how it's described. Anyway, it's too strong that way. I hope that they change it to be more of a flat +1 per resource in the future. Ethiopia already generates plenty of Faith just from the Churches and trade routes.

17. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The wording is a little confusing. It might be more fair as a flat +1 per resource, but I would definitely say it's a lot more fun this way, and makes those spots with 3+ stone or bananas or fish or whatever all the more exciting.

18. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

Yea, I just started my first Ethiopia game, the bonus +n^2 faith, with n being number of improved resources in the city, seems absurd.

Most of my cities have at least 3-5 resource tiles, and I got a golden age for the classical era, which means I can buy settlers and workers with faith, so every city very quickly adds to increased faith, which adds more cities. It's completely rediculous :crazyeye:

19. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

Just want to share a random thought of mine on the Ley Lines:

There is a similar concept to IRL ley lines in traditional East Asia, named 龍脈 (long mai, Dragon's Line or Dragon's Artery), as part of the Feng Shui knowledge. Long mai basically means a place with certain geographical features can contain auspicious supernatural power.

Interestingly, Long mai has these general characteristics:
    - Buildings next to them will have good fortunes;
    - If you build something on them, then the long mai will be "cut off" and you lost the supernatural power;
    - Settlements found near them will become the birthplace of many great peoples, including emperors.

I'm not familiar with the (pseudo-)theories about ley lines, but I do find the characteristics of in-game ley line very similar to the characteristics of IRL long mai (besides ley lines can't generating great people points by itself).

Pietato, Jkchart, WillowBrook and 2 others like this.
  20. Zaarin

To be honest, I'd have preferred they invoke geomancy/feng shui rather than ley lines. Ley lines don't have their roots in folklore but simply on the chance alignment of certain British megaliths observed by some archaeologist in the 19th century. Feng shui at least has some history behind it.

CoconutTank and 8housesofelixir like this.