[NFP] Ethiopia Update Discussion Thread

It's not like feng shui is any more real than ley lines, though. It's all just nonsense. Ley lines are just more recent nonsense.
Yeah, but the difference is that some idiot in 1920 noticed some things in a line and said, "Hey, these must be a highway!" whereas feng shui actually has a traditional system of believe surrounding it. To me it's the difference between choosing Dido as a leader or Lady Liberty as a leader.

Yeah, but the difference is that some idiot in 1920 noticed some things in a line and said, "Hey, these must be a highway!" whereas feng shui actually has a traditional system of believe surrounding it. To me it's the difference between choosing Dido as a leader or Lady Liberty as a leader.

I mean, I guess. I kind of like the "old timey British scientific society" feeling that they went with, though. With the ley lines, the alchemy, and so on. I think it would have been harder to implement a society with the feeling of old timey Chinese officials without feeling kind of stereotypy. The whole "old Asian mystic" trope and all. Eh, whatever. Nonsense is nonsense. I don't much care, so long as it's fun nonsense!

I had played 3 out of the 4 SS already. And I would like to say they are not as OP as I thought they would be. Yes, it made my games easier and faster to win but not game-breaking level so far.

Now if only AI get better in combat...

Last edited:
I mean, I guess. I kind of like the "old timey British scientific society" feeling that they went with, though. With the ley lines, the alchemy, and so on. I think it would have been harder to implement a society with the feeling of old timey Chinese officials without feeling kind of stereotypy. The whole "old Asian mystic" trope and all. Eh, whatever. Nonsense is nonsense. I don't much care, so long as it's fun nonsense!
The Chinese had alchemy, too. I'm convinced the Chinese alchemists knew what they were doing when the prescribed arsenic and mercury to Qin Shi Huangdi for a long life. :p

Last edited:
Just want to show off another good Teddy start (with a few mods active). 19 science and 21 culture on turn 20 (quick speed), pretty crazy. Got earth goddess too, since I got the voidsingers/old god monument from a goody hut quite quickly so I got my faith up soon.

Attachments

• america.jpg
    america.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 119
I like Ethopia! I won my first Immortal victory with them this weekend. They have a great faith economy so I was able to pull off a pretty quick RV.

The Chinese had alchemy, too. I'm convinced the Chinese alchemists knew what they were doing when the prescribed arsenic and mercury to Qin Shi Huangdi for a long life. :p

This may be off topic, but just for a side note: I have seen lots of statement about "Qin Shi Huang took mercury as elixir and died of mercury poisoning" on both Chinese and Western internet. However in early Chinese sources there isn't any indication that Qin took/died because of mercury.

Shiji
didn't mention anything about mercury and Qin (besides the mercury rivers inside Qin's tomb, which doesn't like something Qin would like to drink when he was still alive). Mercury didn't become an internal medicine in Chinese sources till Jin Dynasty, which is 500 years after Qin; and the idea that "mercury=elixir" only popularized in Tang Dynasty - there are records of Tang emperors took prescribed arsenic, but not before Tang. Qin Shi Huang did have a group of "alchemists" (方士), but it seems their idea of "elixir" is more "natural" than "artificial", since these people all tried to find elixir in oversea expeditions - Xu Fu is a perfect example - rather than tried to create them in a workshop.

If anything, Shiji does indicate that Qin might died because of serious seasickness. In his last inspection tour, Qin Shi Huang, a man born in the interior China and never travelling by the sea in his life before, traveled at least 1000 kms in the open sea off coast of eastern China. Qin fell seriously ill shortly after he returned to land and died within a week.

Ethiopia is pretty strong - even with fewer campuses and theater squares, the stupid high faith yield really translated to high culture and science easily. You just have to remember to build in hills! :p

I also really like the Secret Societies...but does the AI actually use their cultists? There was a large convention around scotland (like 20 from indonesia) but they didn't ever use the ability to my knowledge, which is a huge money sink and faith sink unless they tweak the AI with regards to them.

You can build National Parks on Ley Line tiles! At least some improvement is possible, then:
If only you were Bull Moose Teddy.
Good thing to keep in mind now when playing him.

Ley line skeptics even made a "ley" line of pizza parlours in London to prove the absurdity of ley lines:

If the red line is supposed to be the ley line of course the skeptics would draw it kind of horizontally.
If you draw a line somewhat vertical in the middle you could come across a lot of them. :p

If the red line is supposed to be the ley line of course the skeptics would draw it kind of horizontally.
If you draw a line somewhat vertical in the middle you could come across a lot of them. :p
Which would actually even better make the skeptics' point that the alignment is purely by chance. :p

If that's the case then what Anton stated in the livestream is incorrect because neither HC or GDRs have any tags that would tie them to melee.

And the column in the units table would be a misnomer - UseMaxMeleeTrainedStrength. I can see corps/armies working as long as their component unit was melee though.

Interestingly the pedia seems to contradict what Anton said as it only states unit, and not melee unit.

So I wonder if it's working as intended or is not coded correctly? @charrison would you know?

They only inherit the strength of produced/bought corps/armies. Merging two units does nothing for them. And I believe by melee strength it means just the value, not the unit type. The patch notes do not mention melee units only, just unit.

Additionally, vampire castles snapshot yields and do not dynanically update, which is incredibly frustrating. Vampires also cannot remove castles despite the patch notes saying they can.

Additionally, vampire castles snapshot yields and do not dynanically update, which is incredibly frustrating. Vampires also cannot remove castles despite the patch notes saying they can.

While vampires can't remove their own castles, builders can (at least in your own land, I don't know whether or not it works in neutral territory), and once they've done so, your castle count will be low enough for you to rebuild in the same location (or elsewhere, if you prefer). It's definitely annoying to have to manually rebuild to update yields, especially if you want to have your vampires actually killing things, but at least it's not impossible.

Another annoying thing about Vamp Castles is that they don't accumulate resources under them. One time I had Aluminum show up under a Vamp Castle, and I had to remove it in order to mine the Aluminum. This is usually the case for all (most?) improvements, but Vamp Castles are harder to set up, and tearing down a Vamp Castle can mean losing out on a lot of yields too.

Sleptwalked to a Turn 210 Science Victory on Deity with Menelik II. I needed to do a better job of setting up my main Spaceport city, the Double Goddard project bonus exploit may have been fixed, and I had about 2 dozen turns of misalignment. Goofed and settled a few cities not on Hills. Just ran a Faith economy throughout buying Settlers, Builders, Units and Districts. First time with Voidsingers and they are an Ethiopian match made in heaven.

While vampires can't remove their own castles, builders can (at least in your own land, I don't know whether or not it works in neutral territory), and once they've done so, your castle count will be low enough for you to rebuild in the same location (or elsewhere, if you prefer). It's definitely annoying to have to manually rebuild to update yields, especially if you want to have your vampires actually killing things, but at least it's not impossible.

Being forced to tear them down and rebuilt for better yields is one thing (unneeded tedium), but exploiting this (e.g. by replacing surrounding tile improvements with districts after the castle has been built) another.

Anton specifically said Melee units in the livestream though, which added to the confusion of what that actual column in the units table meant.

He also said vampires do not get strength from their own kills, which is also wrong.

It is much better this way, than just pure melee units.

Being forced to tear them down and rebuilt for better yields is one thing (unneeded tedium), but exploiting this (e.g. by replacing surrounding tile improvements with districts after the castle has been built) another.

You are not likely to do that, though, seeing as they are some of your best tiles.

Top Bottom