Ethiopia

I think Ethiopia could use a small buff to compensate for the Monument change being an indirect nerf if he's underperforming. Maybe some scaling GAP whenever he gets his free technologies, to go along with the fact that Stele grants extra Faith during GA?

I think Ethiopia could use a small buff to compensate for the Monument change being an indirect nerf if he's underperforming. Maybe some scaling GAP whenever he gets his free technologies, to go along with the fact that Stele grants extra Faith during GA?
I like this idea. Its small but impactful, and the UA is rather boring currently

For some reason, while I don't rate Ethiopia's UA much, they are consistently the best-performing AI whenever they pop up in a game with me. Anyone know why? Doesn't seem immediately obvious why they should be such good performers.

I think it's a mix of an all-but guaranteed early religion (which usually means a dominant religion, which means lots of yields/benefits) due to the extra faith from resources and the UB. Also, given this dominant religion, Ethiopia basically gets 6+ free techs in a game, which might not seem much, but is of big value. But I agree, that still doesn't seem to fully explain why it's just so darn good :) But I like it a lot, I wish all AI Civs were as annoyingly well-performing as Ethiopia seems to be in my games.

For some reason, while I don't rate Ethiopia's UA much, they are consistently the best-performing AI whenever they pop up in a game with me. Anyone know why? Doesn't seem immediately obvious why they should be such good performers.
I think the AI really benefits from going monuments earlier, which it always does as Ethiopia.

Also I feel like Ethiopia has one of those super effective AI personalities that lead to more success than AI with better kits. (Like Iroquois)

Probably because you literally can not screw up Ethiopia's UA, really you can't do anything to not use it to a proper level. Also in my experience (Deity) Ethiopia has Plains starting bias which is imo the hardest land to live on (at least it was 2 moths ago) and i guess it kinda balances Ethiopia in human hands. But Deity AI really does not care about that

Luke you already said it...6 free techs and a near automatic religion. I mean what more do you need?

I agree with ElliotS that Ethiopia's AI flavor personality syncs really well with their Uniques and VP as a whole. They try to found a religion early and spread it as far as possible, but are also very friendly unless attacked, as they care very much about defending themselves. I see Ethiopia do very well unless they start next to 1-2 warmonger AIs that can sack them before they have a chance to really get going. If Ethiopia can found a religion and start spreading it before they face a serious military threat they tend to do very well for the whole game. There are a few hard counters to them (I see Attila and Zulu smush them in the Ancient/Early Classical Era all the time, or try and take their holy city if it ends up not being their capital; England is good at leeching off their early tech lead), but as a human player I don't find them to be a huge threat unless I am playing as a Civ that also wants a strong religion with lots of followers.

Ethiopia every single time is a runaway state, even on Emperor against humans. UA needs to be severely nerfed or removed altogether.

You guys are playing on epic speed, dont you? Everything which gives something for free is stronger on slower game speed and especially Ethopia gets stronger and stronger. But before just crying for nerfing or removing, why dont you suggest any change?

Because Ethopia is stoppable and I have seen it struggling many times too, for example if it starts next an aggressive AI which will eat it.

You guys are playing on epic speed, dont you? Everything which gives something for free is stronger on slower game speed and especially Ethopia gets stronger and stronger. But before just crying for nerfing or removing, why dont you suggest any change?

Nerfing _is_ changing. I'm suggesting a change.

Because Ethopia is stoppable and I have seen it struggling many times too, for example if it starts next an aggressive AI which will eat it.

Maybe if it's very unlucky. That doesn't mean it's not overpowered.

Nerfing _is_ changing. I'm suggesting a change.

Maybe if it's very unlucky. That doesn't mean it's not overpowered.

I think he means offer a specific idea, and I agree

Exactly.

Calling for a nerf or complete rework of an UA without suggesting anything how it could be done wont bring you far here.

How many free techs is Ethopia getting? 1 for pantheon, 1 for founding, 1 for enhancing, 1 for reformation and 1 for ideology? In total 5 free techs? Should it be less, like every OTHER (oh sorry, every second) belief adoption?

Or is the problem with the very strong stele, which gives Ethopia an early and strong religion?

Would be helpfull to know what is exactly overpowered...

I can see debate about any civ in human hands. But in my opinion AI Ethiopia is not game-warping -- it's just a top tier civ. If it is game-warping, Gazebo will notice it in his games, and adjust accordingly.

I've always considered Ethiopia to be a fairly straightforward civ. It's very simple and doesn't rank in my top 10 or even top 20 of sheer power, but it has a kit that's extremely easy to execute.

No changes needed imo.

Top Bottom