1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethiopia

Discussion in 'Leader Balance' started by Funak, Oct 18, 2014.

1. crdvis16

crdvis16 Chieftain

Agreed. I think the main problem is that he founds early so he often gets first pick of beliefs and gets a head start on spreading. The nerfs you outline would allow him to still found consistently but be more in line with other civs for when he founds and the race to spread/reform/enhance.

2. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

Ethiopia's one of 2 civs whose main feature is high faith yields. I don't think faith needs to be touched that much, and I don't generally feel that Ethiopia is so far ahead in my games that a large nerf is necessary, but I do agree that some nerf is in order.

I would start with removing the +1:c5faith: on strategics. I don't get it. It's a delayed until you discover horses/iron, and then it's only 0-3:c5faith: in the early game, on a civ where everything is otherwise very consistent. It's not necessary and it isn't making enough of a difference to the early faith race to matter. Dropping it would simplify the UA text, refocus the civ on self-contained, consistent bonuses with no map dependence.

If a little more tweak is in order then I would nerf the border growth rate on Stele. Why is it more than the regular monument, and why bother with a +8% buff, from -25% to -33%? I don't think it's really contributing to Ethiopia's balance issues, but... Why does it exist?

I would prefer to keep the +%:c5faith:Faith generation on Stele. Maybe it doesn't have to be as high as 25%, but I think it should stay in some form. Otherwise the Stele doesn't impact the later stages of the game. The +3:c5faith: base yield is a dynamite snowball, but isn't really felt much in Modern, outside slightly faster GP purchases. a +25%:c5faith: on empire makes that boost to GP purchase rate much more noticeable though.

TL;DR - I would put the 25% faith generation 3rd on the chopping block, not 1st. There's a few superfluous things I would strip away first, then use that 25% as a lever for fine-tuning.

3. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

I totally agree with this because it is also a new player trap. There are a ton of posts about border blob Ethiopia, which is mediocre and doesn't play in his strengths very well. I saw those posts, tried focusing on border blobbing, and initially thought he was quite weak.

4. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

I'd say the most impactful nerf for Ethiopia would be to remove the pantheon free tech, only give the free techs when founding/enhancing and completing policy trees.

I'm not sure if we should nerf Ethiopia like that, though. I do agree that bumping their border growth back to normal will be a good idea simply to avoid new player traps, and removing the +1:c5faith: on Strategics sounds solid to me.

5. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

I really don't want to do that though.

Not only does that make communicating the UA more complicated -- only some beliefs give free techs, but not others -- but it also takes from one of the core abilities for Ethiopia. Asymmetric balance is about playing up the major differences between different players, so we should try to improve, or even exacerbate, the core Ethiopian bonuses and trim the fat.

6. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

I think the only changes needed are nerf the Stele and remove the Faith from strategic resources.

For the Stele:

Provides 2 :c5faith:Faith.
    +1 :c5faith: Faith to Temples (Makes it so Ethiopia will still have an edge in finding a religion but still keep their overall strength in generating lots of :c5faith: Faith).

The :c5culture: Culture costs of acquiring new tiles is reduced by 25% in this City.

+25% :c5faith: Faith during :c5goldenage: Golden Ages. (I actually don't mind keeping this. It's a nice to have and, if people want to remove it, I won't be against it)

Provides 2 :c5culture: Culture.

crdvis16 and chicorbeef like this.